Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:21 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,174 Posts
Ya I thought that too the one on it now is a 7x5 and I was worried with that. I think I'll try moving the rotor a little higher ABOUT HOW MUCH ?

Bill
Mud Duck Bill is online now Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:44 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,685 Posts
Bill This is my set up know .just went out to thr shed and took them for you .with a 1250 ma 3cell .Ihave a hang of 22 deg
Bro
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:00 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,174 Posts
I set up a delta plate with a set of H/K blades for testing on my Crane Fly and said what the hell I'll give them a go on the Spyro too!! Now if I can just get them out of the cellar (still on crutches) .

Bill
Mud Duck Bill is online now Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:39 PM
United Kingdom, Gt Lon
Joined Jan 2010
91 Posts
At long last i can get back to finishing some of my autogyros as have been very buisy with filming using quadcopters with video cameras for Roman digs,for which i get paid for my services,all this has now finished.
Can somebody enlighten me as i am just finishing my Spyro111 and am going to start on the blades.
My question is do i balance the blades after fitting the blade tip weights?
regards Jeff
jeffstu is offline Find More Posts by jeffstu
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:53 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, KBH
Joined Jul 2009
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstu View Post
My question is do i balance the blades after fitting the blade tip weights?
regards Jeff
I would recommend to do so, to avoid problems with vibrations.
I made the first rough balancing while inserting the tip weights and fine-tuned with strips of tape after covering. First balance lengthwise by adding tape at the tip and then add tape at the CoG to reach idential weight. This will make your blades behave identically, but will not take out any offset in the rotor head.
norup is online now Find More Posts by norup
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:26 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,056 Posts
Thanks Rich.

So, having sucessfully built and flow a Monotwirl and a SHF Crane Fly I was looking to move onto a DC head model and as pushers come with their own quirks I thought that I would give that a go as well. I ordered a rotor head from HK (I know, lazy) and started to look for a suitable model. Lots of reading threads on here and the Spyro came out at the top, mainly due to looks and a wood build. Nothing whatsoever to post about the build, Rich’s excellent build notes and pictures making it a really pleasant and easy experience.

Took the model up to the field in an unfinished state to see how the blades span up and in a word they didn’t. More shim added and tried again, took quite a long brisk walk/ jog but eventually they started to whistle. Got her trimmed out and went for the first launch, flew straight out of my hand, but, flew like a pig!!!! No penetration, just going up and down like a kite (around 5 – 8 MPH breeze) and using rudder or aileron created a real spiral death dive which took a lot of fighting to recover from. Tried messing around with lots of stuff resulting in 2 real crashes and quite a few screwed landings (tip over, tail feathers knocked off) making slight improvements but not really getting anywhere near a well dialled in model. Left turns were acceptable but anything to the right resulted in a spiral dive.

Looked at loads of pictures and saw that nearly everyone else had their heads set pretty much at 90 degrees relative to the mast and I had mine parallel to the tail boom. Made some new longer pushrods which put the head pretty much at right angles to the mast and it was like I had another model!!!!!

Flies superbly with no difference between left and right turns (well, no more than any other AG), she can be kicked around using the rudder or banked and yanked all with ease. Nice brisk climb out and yesterday in a 3 – 4 MPH breeze she was happily hovering. Best of all, to me, she looks fantastic in the air and nearly everyone at the club is impressed!!!

Thanks for a great design Rich.
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Jul 28, 2013, 02:20 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,808 Posts
Paul,
Congratulations mate , the Spyro III is a whole lot of fun it will teach you a lot about proper control of an autogyro.
There was one at our Fly-In last week which was good to see.

Any chance of a photo or Two?

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Jul 28, 2013, 02:29 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,808 Posts
Paul,
When you get comfortable with your Spyro why not try a spin? Take her up high, full rearward tilt/full left rudder and full power. Also if you are on the money with the thrustline there is no need for the horizontal tailplane, it flies exactly the same with just the fin and will handle the wind better as there is no buffeting on the tail.

The Boneswamped Death Spiral!! (4 min 8 sec)

Rich
Old Jul 28, 2013, 09:53 PM
Kedah, Malaysia.
Joined Feb 2007
51 Posts
Post from a skillful master..rich..
shahrin is offline Find More Posts by shahrin
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:27 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,056 Posts
Pickies...........

Was not going to post pictures 'cos at the end of the day she looks exactly like most of the other ones, even yellow and no trim or pretty bits

But at Rich's request........

PS Rich, tried the 'look Mum, no hands' (look Mum, no stab) after 'arrival' 5 or 6 took it clean off but re-fitted after changing the head angle as I was worried about her trying to loop under power which is not the case. I do think that the stab adds to her looks............
Old Jul 29, 2013, 04:29 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,808 Posts
Paul,
Nice work thanks for taking the time to post photos.....what next??

Rich
Old Jul 30, 2013, 06:47 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeLandings View Post
Paul,
Nice work thanks for taking the time to post photos.....what next??

Rich
Good Question.....

In the short term, fly the pants off of the Spyro which will include trying the HK head with a sandwich box plate, new tail without stab, perfecting the Boneswamp Death Spin, bigger wheels for ROG and making her look 'pretty'.

Long term, what will be next???? 2 Blade’er looks likely, new model or convert the Crane or the Spryro???? Hummmm

New model? Sounds good, own design or do I need to learn a bit more by building from a plan?? Which way to go?????

Last night in bed I couldn’t sleep and by around 2 o’clock this morning I had knocked up a GyroJet (as reported by Jock), ‘bout the same size as a Spyro but with a vertical crutch fuselage hidden by a vac formed body shell. Got most of the details worked out but then I fell asleep, shame that it was all constructed in my head!!!!!!

Time will tell.
Old Aug 08, 2013, 09:31 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, KBH
Joined Jul 2009
57 Posts
2 / 3+ blade Spyro III

I was surprised to read about nja/Nils having a successfull flight with a simple head with two blades, as described here:
My 1st 2 blade RPG attempt
I thought two blades required a teeter-totter head, flybar, or the like to be controllable?!

So a head similar til Nils' was made for my Spyro III. It was able to ROG in first attempt, but I let it go too far away to see and had to ditch it. The flex-plate snapped - I am not quite sure of the type of plastic - it may be too brittle, although my 3-blade head made from the same material has worked reliably for a long time. I did not notice that the canopy also fell off during the ditch. No chance of finding it now, and I will have to make a new one.

Exchanging flex-plates is a bit cumbersome, especially in the field for trying 2/3 blades in the same day. So why not make a plate that can hold both two and three blades? One of these was made from the same plastic again and first flown with three blades. The hexagonal plate is stiffer than the triangular plate, and the difference could be felt clearly: The AG was much more sensitive to trim and had a nasty pitch-up tendency at ROG lift-off with low RPM. Also, it developed a roll-instability when banking to the right.

The next step was switching to two blades, which takes only a minute now. The first two hand-launches failed, probably due to pilot error, but the third with extra throttle went fine. Control was very twitchy, with roll trim very different from the three-blade flight with the same head - but certainly possible to fly.
When preparing for the next flight, I found that the gears of one of the two HS-65HB servos had been stripped. I am not sure when this happened, and how this affected the previous flight.

So... I am not sure if this type of hex-head is a good idea, but if it is made from a more flexible material than usual to compensate for the larger area, it may be OK. Anyway, it is a quick way to change the setup between two, three and hmmm... six blades.
norup is online now Find More Posts by norup
Old Aug 08, 2013, 07:05 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,685 Posts
Interesting.....You will find that a two blade set up will only need approx. 30% of the head movement of a three blade . Six blades....don't have a clue myself....but please try
Chris...
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Aug 09, 2013, 11:40 PM
Always building something...
United States, NM, Farmington
Joined Oct 2005
114 Posts
I have a Spyro about 2/3 complete. I considered it to be to small at the time. Thought I needed something bigger for my first pusher. Maybe I should reconsider.

Stan
engrv7 is online now Find More Posts by engrv7