HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2010, 05:45 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,807 Posts
Rich, Mike,
I will sort out what is needed when its complete and flown so I know that I am recommending a flying combination and not just taking a guess.

Chris,
Thanks for taking the time to print it out for me and check, the fuselage should measure 260mm long and the lightening holes should be 20mm. Mine seems to print out pretty close?

I have now glued into position B1 which is again made from 6mm balsa and slots into B2, next the front former F4 is attached along with F3.
The top plate B3 was then cut out, to get the radius on each lightening hole I used a 6mm drill, the centres are marked on the template. Then the holes are cut out and this part is trial fitted into place. The rear edge of it which goes up against F2 needs to be chamfered for it to fit correctly. B3 was then glued into position, but F2 is left out for the time being so I can trial fit the servos.

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2010, 05:53 AM
blackpool, lancashire, UK
Joined Feb 2005
192 Posts
hi rich, i got 19mm for the hole and 248mm for the fuss
i wil be making mine a tad smaller
pete
flying scrap is offline Find More Posts by flying scrap
Old Aug 09, 2010, 06:01 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,807 Posts
I just printed a PDF off my computer and it measures 260mm...downloaded and printed the file I added to this thread and it measures 246mm?

At this size you will not be able to get the batteries in ..I will see if I can fix the problem..but I dont know how

Rich
Old Aug 09, 2010, 07:26 AM
Scotland
Joined Jan 2010
936 Posts
Rich
My print the hole is 20mm and the length is 260mm and I am desperate for more pdf files to catch up to your build
Joe
Jockadopolus is online now Find More Posts by Jockadopolus
Old Aug 09, 2010, 07:40 AM
Joined May 2008
13 Posts
PDF Print Size

Due to a request from Rich after he printed the PDF and found it to be out of scale, I said I would also download it and print it to see why it was wrong.

I did this and it prints out exactly to what it should be as long as the printer settings are correct when you tell it to print.

To have it print correct select print from the PDF reader and look in the Page Handling section. Make sure the Page scaling part says either 100% or None and auto rotate/centre is not ticked.

After making sure this is correct use printer settings to make sure print orientation is correct and it will print out at correct size.

For future reference Rich it might be worth while actually dimensioning the drawings so there is a definite reference to back up measurements.
Arceye is offline Find More Posts by Arceye
Last edited by Arceye; Aug 09, 2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2010, 09:28 AM
blackpool, lancashire, UK
Joined Feb 2005
192 Posts
thanks guys, it now prints 20mm/260mm
pete
flying scrap is offline Find More Posts by flying scrap
Old Aug 09, 2010, 04:43 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,807 Posts
Thanks for that Andy

I can also print to scale from the download

Joe, I will try and get this stage completed and upload the next sheet in the next couple of days. I just need to add a few more things to my model then I know that they should fit pretty close.....I keep altering things as I'm going along

Regards Rich
Old Aug 09, 2010, 04:54 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,439 Posts
Rich
What blades are you planning to use? Guessing a 2 blade head?

Gordon
GeeW is online now Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Aug 09, 2010, 05:19 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,807 Posts
Gordon,
The MK I & II flew well with a 3 bladed head so I am going to stick with this. I did fly the original briefly with a 2 bladed head but it was hard to get them to spin up and was even harder to get into the air. Once in the air it was fine.
Just simpler and easier with 3 blades, makes ROG straight forward at this small size and the blades are less vunerable.

Regards Rich
Old Aug 11, 2010, 06:35 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,807 Posts
I have trial fitted my servos and doubled up on the back of F2 where the mounting screws for the servos will go through. The bottom of F2 has been sanded at an angle so it fits flush with the fuselage base, this has now been glued into position.
F4 is the boom mount and 5 are made, the way I make them is to make the one first as a template, the hole is drilled first and reamed 6mm then the template is cut out to shape. In the same way the others are made, but I use a piece of 6mm carbon rod and insert it into the uncut former using my 'original' to cut out the rest. When they were all cut out I slipped them onto the rod and sanded them so they are all the same. These were then glued into position (their position is marked onto B2.) using the carbon tube as an alignment gauge.

Regards Rich
Old Aug 11, 2010, 06:39 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,807 Posts
Heres sheet 2, seems to fit together ok. Make sure the 6mm formers of B1 &B2 are square!
I will work on Sheet 3 tomorrow, I need to alter the front former a bit as I have made a mistake

Rich
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:27 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hi Rich,
I really enjoy your work. The Spyro seems to be a fairly straight forward build. You can see it's RPG lineage, but it's more refined. It's obvious that you've thought this through very thouroughly(Not that there was anything wrong with the shoot from the hip original RPG). You never fail to impress Rich. I can't wait until I have the time to build one.

Regards,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2010, 04:25 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,807 Posts
Cheers Mike,
I have put a lot of time and effort into this one so your kind words are appreciated. I do struggle with the drawing side of things as I prefer to do it the old fashioned way with pencil and paper. You become narrow minded and think that they are 'bang on' until you come to fit them together so its back to the drawings to alter things. This is what takes the time.
But I hope my rewards will come at the end if others decide to build it and have success, more gyronuts are what are needed as we are far and few behind.
It would be nice to see you build one but I know you are bogged down with work, family and your excellent PCA-2

Regards Rich
Old Aug 12, 2010, 06:40 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,807 Posts
Heres sheet number 3

Rich
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:37 AM
RC Group therapist