HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2010, 12:16 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,881 Posts
Build Log
SPYRO III , The rest is up to you guys!..Have fun :)

I guess by now you have pretty much guessed that I am a 'little' biased towards pusher type autogyros. And as I promised at the beginning of the year I would design, build and add plans for you all to have a go at my Spyro. It a small pusher type that will use inexpensive running gear, I have made a couple like this and they do fly well. This one will be constructed a little different to my others to keep the weight down.
When I first starting messing with these things it all seemed overwhelming, then I dropped on Dave,s site which was then SuraceAviation. I liked his philosophy and approach to autogyro design and building, keep the plans cheap, use basic available materials and have as much fun as you possibly can.
So to eliminate the first the plans/templates will be printable on your bog standard printer.
The idea of this model is to build it with standard materials ie: balsa, lite ply, birch ply,glass fibre sheet, depron and carbon tube. I hope that most will be able to source these materials with relative ease (you wont need a lot).I want to keep the price of parts to a bare minimum. Along with the motor,electrics, rotor spindle etc
My other stumbling block that I have had to think about is not every one has access to machines tools. A knife, sand paper, pillar drill, square,belt sander (but sandpaper will be fine) and file is all that will be needed (subject to change).
First off I will make a start on my model, I will show you how I build it and this will be able to tell me that all the templates fit together (then I can change them to suit if they don't). When I am happy with the way things have gone I will upload the PDF's for you guys to have a go (who ever wants to). I will probably do it in stages?
All that I ask is that these plans are not used for money making purposes etc, if you do decide to give it a shot I would like to hear how you get on.

Ok...I will start the build this evening and start to upload photos and an explanation of how it goes together. Plans will follow after the build.

Regards

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Last edited by SafeLandings; Sep 17, 2010 at 01:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2010, 12:38 PM
autogyro andy
South UK
Joined Feb 2007
748 Posts
Looking forward to this Rich

Keep up the good work mate

Can you clear your inbox, I can't send any emails!
I expect they are all blue, from you know who!

Regards Andy
HandyAndy is offline Find More Posts by HandyAndy
Old Aug 06, 2010, 02:22 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
SWEET!!!! I can't wait to see the pdf's Rich.
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
Old Aug 06, 2010, 03:59 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,881 Posts
Andy,
I always forget to look at PM's..all deleted now mate.

Mike,
They are only simple outlines and nothing special, I am unable to do full plans.

Ok I have made a start.

Printed off the first sheet which are the fuselage sides and doublers, I just roughly cut out the templates and 'pritstick' them to the wood (easy to peel off afterwards) then with a sharp knife cut them out. The fuselage sides are made from 3mm medium grade balsa,1 doubler is 3mm lite ply (DB2) the other is 3mm balsa (DB1) but with the grain running vertical.
All the former positions are then marked on one fuselage side, the easiest way I have found is to use a pin to mark through the template and on to the wood. These are transfered onto the other side by holding them together and drawing reference marks top and bottom of each former position.Also the UC hole centre is marked with a pin, this position is marked on DB2.
Its easy to make 2 same handed sides so be sure they are marked opposite (don't ask)
I glue the doublers with white glue as this gives me time to shuffle them around, I also use scrap pieces of 3mm and 6mm wood to give me the correct gaps.
If you are not metric you will need to shave off a bit of the 2 doublers to suit your wood thickness (1/8" and 1/4").
Also on this sheet are 2 wedges that I cut from some scrap 3mm ply, these are glued to a flat piece of scrap wood to create a wedge. This is the drilling jig to get the correct angle for the UC holes.
I will drill the holes in a bit and upload some photos later.

Rich
Old Aug 06, 2010, 04:48 PM
LSF 004 - AMA 5055
United States, CA, Saratoga
Joined Dec 2000
593 Posts
Keep 'em comin', Rich. It looks good already!

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeLandings View Post
Ok I have made a start.
Rich
bobandris is offline Find More Posts by bobandris
Old Aug 06, 2010, 05:34 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,881 Posts
I will try Bob!!!

Next up is the tricky bit, if the holes are not drilled square the gyro will be great at doing dougnuts
The carbon tube that will be used through out has an OD of 6mm and an ID of 4mm and a 1 metre length should easily do for everything. I finish off all my holes with a 6mm reamer, if you haven't got one then a slightly smaller drill should do as they will always drill slightly over size. Practice on some scraps of wood until you find a drill that creates a hole so the carbon tube is a really snug/tight fit.
I have marked the hole centres on the INSIDE of each DB2 doubler, these are held onto the wedged jig and centre drilled (making sure the hole angle slopes down wards through the fuselage side and the fuselage side is parallel to the jig!). It is important that they are drilled from the inside out as 1: these are the correct hole centres 2: they are the lite ply so the drill will not wander like it does through balsa.
It well may be worth marking reference lines so as to help with orianation before setting up the side on to the jig?
Once the holes have been centre drilled they are opened up until the 6mm interference fit is achieved.
On my original Spyro I fitted 8mm tube into this position so that the 6mm legs could be removed for transportation.

A few photos as my description is probably crap!!

Rich
Old Aug 07, 2010, 06:41 AM
Joined Apr 2009
392 Posts
Rich
Great build idea youve got going! Should help anyone building the Spyro
Might have a go at a later date when I've managed to get some flying in and I have Zeus sorted.
Keep up the great work!

Cali
Cali is offline Find More Posts by Cali
Old Aug 07, 2010, 07:27 AM
blackpool, lancashire, UK
Joined Feb 2005
192 Posts
hi rich, great idea, we need more of this sort of thing to
help make gyros more popular, even if its only used
for angles and dangles on other projects
i have just spent 45mins trying to find out what a spyro
looks like, that rpg thread is toooo bigggg
its more the size i like so lets get building, again
i found a photo of the spyro is it going to be similar?
pete

Name: DSCF3280.jpg
Views: 1286
Size: 128.9 KB
Description:
flying scrap is offline Find More Posts by flying scrap
Old Aug 07, 2010, 07:47 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,881 Posts
Pete,
Yes that was the prototype, this is going to be slightly different. Slightly altered shaped fuselage, no universal joint, no making up parts for a bearing head assembly that are hard to line up...you will like how simple the rotor head is going to be. Anyone will be able to make one

Ok..I am happy with sheet 1 so here it is, I have modified it so that there is a left and right DB2 shown to help drilling the holes centres I mentioned above.
If anyone wouldn't mind (so I know the scale is ok) the hole in DB2 should measure 20mm diameter?

Regards Rich
Old Aug 07, 2010, 08:49 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,881 Posts
I have now made up the mast support MS1, this is made from 2 pieces of 3mm lite ply and once complete slots into F1. Again using the drilling jig/wedge they are drilled in the same way as the fuselage sides so care must be taken to get the angle of the hole in the correct direction. Once drilled the paper templates are removed and a small chamfer is sanded onto each (longest side and on inner edge) before they are glued together.
The 6mm carbon tube will be glued to this so a half moon is sanded into it. I just clamp MS1 into my vice then wrap around some emery cloth and slowly sand in the half moon.
MS1 is then slotted was then glued into F1 making sure it is square, a small bead of glue is added along the joint afterwards as added strength.

Rich
Old Aug 07, 2010, 08:49 AM
Scotland
Joined Jan 2010
997 Posts
With a name like Spyro I have to build one for Spiro's
Looking forward to the next installment
Joe
Jockadopolus is online now Find More Posts by Jockadopolus
Old Aug 07, 2010, 12:48 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,881 Posts
Joe,
It would be good to see Spiros with a Spyro

I have done a little more but this is all I have managed today. Next I have cut out the two 6mm balsa floor pieces B1 and B2, I had to make a couple of these as I didn't cut the first lot square so be careful when cutting or you will have a lop sided Fuselage!
B2 (the smaller one) fits at the rear and is glued into position making sure its square. Once dry F1 with the mast support is glued into position mating up with B2.
With this done I got a piece of 6mm carbon tube and filed a vee into it, this is held tight into the half moon, turned and pushed about 3mm into B2. The small 'pip' of balsa was then flicked out so the mast tube partly fits into this blind hole.
I then drilled a couple of small holes into the mast support for small cable ties to be put through. The mast tube was then epoxied into place (after roughing up the carbon tube around the area where the glue will adhere )and the cable ties pulled tight.
This was left for the epoxy to go off completely. The second fuselage side was then glued into place resting the top faces on a flat surface for good alignment.

Thats my lot for today..my son has been helping me and has now got bored..wants to go for a bike ride

More tomorrow I hope.

Regards Rich
Old Aug 07, 2010, 02:17 PM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
389 Posts
Hi Rich

What spec lipo will you be recommending for this....BRC hobbies have 50% off lipo's this weekend only and on the basis I have none and am clueless about them I could do with the advice as this may be a good moment to invest for my Spiro.

Cheers
Rich
Ricardo1500 is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
Old Aug 08, 2010, 02:38 AM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,794 Posts
G Day Rich
I am in on this one also with great interest.
I printed out the plan and measured as you requested and the hole in DB2 came out at 19 mm on my plan? The OAL of the Fuz is 246.5mm. Is this correct??

Chris............
britinoz is online now Find More Posts by britinoz
Last edited by britinoz; Aug 08, 2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2010, 11:15 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Materials list

Hi Rich,
The build thread is progressing nicely, as all your threads do. I'm impressed by the designs you do, and the performance speaks for itself. I was wondering if you have compiled a material list(Wood, Carbon, hardware, blades, motor/esc, Batt. ect.) for the build. I don't have any nearby hobby shops so everything is ordered and recieved by post. I'd like to gather all the materials so I have them to hand when the free time to build is available.

Thanks in advance,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped