Old Aug 06, 2010, 11:05 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,460 Posts
Discussion
FDR Regatta Georgia

Ahoy mates...

....the weather is being ugly right now, but soon it will be prime time to sail again in beautiful FDR State Park. I'm talking with the park rangers over in Georgia and the 2nd FDR Regatta is still a go for Oct. 2, 2010. Same place as last year (Lake Delano) and it will start at 10:00am that Saturday morning.

They are planning another great event with everything we had last time and more. The lake will be better prepared and there will be limited access to the launch area to keep the boat kickers at bay.... We hope to get in some 1:10 Crackerbox racing to go with the Nirvana racing this time. I plan to exhibit run my 1:10 shovel nose too.

You can do a day trip or lodge close by like some of us and stay a night or two and take in some of the other things the area has to offer while you're there. Callaway Gardens, Stone Mountain and much more is close by. Several of us visited the town of Warm Springs and FDRs house and museum last time. Sunshine and I might take in the fish hatchery this time around.

We have 6 or 7 sailors/1st mates attending so far and hope more of you will join us. This is not a MMBC only event...we are opening it up to the public...come join us and take advantage of the Southern hospitality. I attached a map of the lake.

I also attached the video from last years event.

See everyone soon.

Crash

MMBC 1st Regatta FDR State Park Georgia (10/3/2009) (6 min 41 sec)
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2010, 02:51 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,469 Posts
Boat Kickers...???
It looked like you had all the boats up off the ground.
Was it a "boat punter"?

Looks like a well attended event, and a great range of ages.
All the kids sitting along the water looked eager to see boats run.
And I liked the little rain gutter boat track....Hmmm...
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Aug 06, 2010, 04:15 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,460 Posts
Umi...you see the tug in the cover pic of the video? That is the "Belinda" and she took a blow to the cabin, while sitting there tied up ready for action, from a naughty scout...mom grabbed him by the collar and made him say he was sorry. They liked splashing water in the runabouts as they motored past too. Boys will be boys...
Old Aug 06, 2010, 07:36 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghappy View Post
Umi...you see the tug in the cover pic of the video? That is the "Belinda" and she took a blow to the cabin, while sitting there tied up ready for action, from a naughty scout...mom grabbed him by the collar and made him say he was sorry. They liked splashing water in the runabouts as they motored past too. Boys will be boys...
My parents had six boys. Behavior like that was cured with a judicious application of cowhide to the posterior.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:48 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,460 Posts
The regatta is this Saturday guys...the weather looks like it is going to be perfect. If you're in the area stop by and check it out.

Here is the list of who I know is going/trying to go...

Sunshine & Crash
Mr. & Ms. Scooter
Mr. & Ms. D Day
Mr. & Ms. Burke
Murphy
Inferno
Earl
Ray?

Looks like we have several UL-1s, Cracker Boxes and of course Nirvanas this time...should be real good fun racing...
Last edited by Capt.Crash; Sep 30, 2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:58 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,460 Posts
Forecast for Pine Mountain and the Regatta...sunny, high 79, NE wind @ 7mph....it does not get any better than that.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 01:16 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,460 Posts
Ok since the regatta is the day after tomorrow, and I won't be here tomorrow to do it...I'm going to break the rules and bump this back to the top one more time....

This looks to be a fun one so come and play if ya can!
Old Oct 04, 2010, 03:19 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,460 Posts
Another one bites the dust...

...event that is...a few boats too, but it will take me a day or two to sort through all the hundreds of photos and get the best uploaded...the videos will take even longer.......but this one says it all......2010 champion.....
Old Oct 05, 2010, 11:36 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,460 Posts
Saturday October 2, 2010.

This was the 2nd FDR Sail on Pine Mountain Georgia. President Roosevelt was a huge boat lover and this event is the 2nd annual to celebrate his love of boats and introduce others to the enjoyment we find in the hobby. The weather was once again absolutely perfect. We had plenty of sunshine and a gentle breeze, with temps in the mid to upper 70s and low 80s.

The “Rangers” and “Friends of the Park” were once again the best hosts you could ask for. They provided and cooked dogs and drinks, a sound system with great sailing music, a rain gutter regatta to go along with the RC regatta, a table to buy/build free sailing boats for the young sailors. <P>

We set up early and had a great showing of club members and boats.

Those present were:

Mr. & Ms. Scooter
Mr. & Ms. D Day
Mr. & Ms. Burke
Sunshine & Crash
Capt. Murphy
Capt. Inferno

And over 100 guests.

The pics are a must see to appreciate the crowd of smiling faces. We got in one Nirvana race and it was another adventure as the swirling wind on this pond is very difficult to sail in due to the deep bowl shape of the lake surrounded by tall trees. Capt. Crash was the 1st skipper across the line of the Olympic Race Course this time, but everyone was a winner, just for finishing.

Capt. Burke showed off his RC Laser sheet boat, Capt. Scooter provided demo runs of his Chris Craft runabout, Crash ran his Cracker box and 1:10 shovel nose hydro, Inferno ran a Ul-1, Murphy demonstrated his flying skills with his float plane and 1:10 shovel nose hydro while Capt. D Day showed us his new 1:10 shovel nose and fast rigger called the “Spider” .

Both tugs got in rescues and Capt. Murphy got his 1st buoy kill with his shovel nose.

We all had a great time and are already making plans for next year.

I narrowed the pics down to the following.....
Last edited by Capt.Crash; Oct 05, 2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2010, 12:20 PM
Joined May 2008
312 Posts
Looks like you had a good time. By the way the depth of the pond is on the way down again.
ragss is offline Find More Posts by ragss
Old Oct 06, 2010, 12:25 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,372 Posts
Great Pictures,
Thank You.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Oct 07, 2010, 07:44 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,460 Posts
Thanks Millertime.

ragss...sorry you missed it again....we did have a good time and will be going back every year. I was thinking about sailing this weekend, but with the temps going back up to around 90 and the low water conditions I may just forgo that. Is the water down more than it was 2 weekends ago when we had our last sail there?
Old Oct 07, 2010, 01:45 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,460 Posts
14 people have viewed a close up of Scooters pit hair.....
Old Oct 07, 2010, 02:42 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,613 Posts
Definitely looks like a nice place to spend a day sailing. No worries.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Oct 07, 2010, 11:10 PM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghappy View Post
14 people have viewed a close up of Scooters pit hair.....
Now 16, 16 people are sick!
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME