HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2010, 09:44 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
Build Log
Dumas Chris Craft Runabout

After getting my first build out of the way (Utillity) I'm now ready for #2!

This time i'm going to try a similar scale boat the Racing Runabout.
I'm going to try and keep the kit complete by duplicating or replacing all the bits and pieces.

I've salvaged some flimsy board to substitute the Sintra subplanking material and some 4mm plywood for the Frames.
I bought a Proxxon circular saw after reading about it in the forums and have to say it sure makes short work chopping out the parts
RussellTate is offline Find More Posts by RussellTate
Last edited by RussellTate; Aug 05, 2010 at 10:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2010, 10:32 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
I was a bit worried that Frame 4 was a bit further back from the sub deck plank (something like 3mm from the edge?). I've been advised that I should ignore the sub deck area and just work to the frames
Old Aug 05, 2010, 10:34 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,082 Posts
It's just wood. Anything is possible. Looks good so far.

Good luck on #2
woodybob is online now Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Aug 05, 2010, 11:30 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTate View Post
I'm now ready for #2!
Aw gee, I guess it is too late to warn you... now you're addicted!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Aug 06, 2010, 01:01 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodybob View Post
It's just wood. Anything is possible.
I guess so?

Old Aug 06, 2010, 12:03 PM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Jun 2010
35 Posts
I'm currently building the Continental kit. Looking forward to watching this build at the same time.
hoochiemama is offline Find More Posts by hoochiemama
Old Aug 06, 2010, 12:58 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,811 Posts
Glad to see you on another build.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Aug 07, 2010, 01:58 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTate View Post
...I bought a Proxxon circular saw...
Cool...

One of these?
woodybob is online now Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Aug 07, 2010, 05:59 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
Yes Sir, fantastic little machine it is too!
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:02 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1 Posts
I'm just finishing the 1940 Barrel Back and I have one tip that other builders of Dumas boats might want to try.

The plastic seats that came with the model were terrible looking - the shinny plastic surface was unacceptable to me.

I looked into making leather or vinyl seats but the samples I've seen just weren't right. The materials have grain that's too big, the stitching is too big etc..

I ended up using the plastic seats that came with the kit but I sprayed them with multiple coats of a spray paint/coating product called Plast-Dip. It's the same stuff that also comes in a can and is used for coating tool handles. It's available at virtually all hardware stores.

The seats turned out great - I sprayed them with multiple coats and the finish and padded feel is perfect. I also sprayed the cockpit coamings (neopryene tubing) to match.

The only drawback is that in the spray can it only comes in basic colors - I used the red which worked perfectly but if you wanted another color you'd be out of luck. They do have a mixing kit in the can version that allows you to mix any color - you could then spray that using your own spray equipment.
RandyKlibowitz is offline Find More Posts by RandyKlibowitz
Old Aug 17, 2010, 04:17 PM
Model Boat Aficionado
Tucson, AZ
Joined Nov 2009
125 Posts
Another thing that the designer has done with the seats in the past is cover them with tissue paper in the color you want or you can even paint over the tissue. Either way, it gives a nice texture to the seats.

April

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyKlibowitz View Post
I'm just finishing the 1940 Barrel Back and I have one tip that other builders of Dumas boats might want to try.

The plastic seats that came with the model were terrible looking - the shinny plastic surface was unacceptable to me.

I looked into making leather or vinyl seats but the samples I've seen just weren't right. The materials have grain that's too big, the stitching is too big etc..

I ended up using the plastic seats that came with the kit but I sprayed them with multiple coats of a spray paint/coating product called Plast-Dip. It's the same stuff that also comes in a can and is used for coating tool handles. It's available at virtually all hardware stores.

The seats turned out great - I sprayed them with multiple coats and the finish and padded feel is perfect. I also sprayed the cockpit coamings (neopryene tubing) to match.

The only drawback is that in the spray can it only comes in basic colors - I used the red which worked perfectly but if you wanted another color you'd be out of luck. They do have a mixing kit in the can version that allows you to mix any color - you could then spray that using your own spray equipment.
AprilRose is offline Find More Posts by AprilRose
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:47 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
Randy can you post some photo's of those seats, i'd love to have a look at the finish!
Old Sep 02, 2010, 07:37 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,649 Posts
So, how's it going???
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2010, 08:01 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
Hey Craig, thanks for the gee up!

Have cut a few more sections out now, and am getting ready to install the drive line.
Have to shorten the stuffing tube as it's too long in it's current state.
There is not a lot of space in the engine bay so I've had to get a shorter coupling and may have to build some shelve to rack all the gear in!
I want to add an inline fuse, lube tube and small servo light switch - in with the RX, ESC and battery!

I dropped in a couple of figures and noticed they sit very flat on the floor compared to the deep seating in myUtility. I think it would be a cramped ride sitting the back of a Racing Runabout for too long.
RT
Can any one tell me what wire they use for their lights, is it dolls house wire or other ?