HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2010, 03:35 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
Build Log
1/4 scale fanfold P-40!

If you are new to this thread sit back and see how the model developed.
I missed my target weight by a little over two pounds but she did very well in the end.
To the left is what I was aiming for and to the right is the finished design.
If you go through the thread page by page you may learn something and there is a little drama near the end.

P-40 test flight 3.wmv (3 min 39 sec)
sparks is offline Find More Posts by sparks
Last edited by sparks; Oct 31, 2011 at 01:14 PM. Reason: made current
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2010, 03:46 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
My little Rant first

Boy is it good to be back with my people ( foam builders)
I've been posting my stuff elsewhere trying to promote our type of construction. I've managed to convert a few I think but it's a rough row to plow. It started in the 80"s with my little .25 powered Foam Cat, A very rough version of an F-14. Several designs later I figured they were going nowhere because people didn't know how to build with foam so I wrote a book that is still selling fairley well. The book has been a big help at getting the word out and the foam designs are doing OK now. As the Chinese ARF market ( and other industries) continues to gobble up balsa and drive the price up it will only get better.
What I'm running into now is the availability of foam in the rural areas. Many builders do not have access to 2 inch extruded foam ( the blue and pink stuff to you newbie's) many of my deigns are based on this material. After learning this I designed a 6 foot span, three pound L-19 with Depron. Again material availability is kicking my Butt.

This time I'll get as much as I can from Home Depot or Lowe's ; Vacuum form the parts that would be hard to make and include plenty of illustrations on the plans. ( I believe a good set of plans should not require the article to build.)
You will have to go to my blog to see all the foam based models I have completed but below is what is offered on the site
www.parkflyerplastics.com

I have links to the threads, if you want them listed just ask.
Last edited by sparks; Sep 07, 2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old Aug 05, 2010, 09:11 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
This should be another good one! Thanks Sparky for another interesting build! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Aug 06, 2010, 09:25 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
Shopping list

I'll update this as I go

Home Depot.
1. fanfold stack
1. sheet 1/2 inch insulation board
1. sheet 3/4 inch insulation board
2. 1/2" electrical conduit tubing.
1. 4" X 3/4 x 8' sanded pine board
1. 4" X 3/4 x 8' popular board.
2. 2 ounce gorilla glue bottles
50. Clothes Pins
1 pack of long wallpaper scraping razors.
Old Aug 06, 2010, 09:46 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
shopping tips.

I have been stung thinking fan fold was all the same but it's not. I got stuck with a batch that had a rough side to it as if it was formed too cold. So.
look over the fanfold stack before you buy it, run your hand between the sheets to feel how smooth both sides are.
If the outside has dents or the edges are trashed; It's OK there is plenty of material here for this project. but both sides should be smooth.

For this project I used three colors of foam. Blue is fanfold., Pink is 1 inch foam sheeting and purple is 3/4 inch foam sheeting.
This is all the same stuff in density, the manufactures simply use different colors to identify their product. I'm taking advantage of this from an illustration standpoint to help you see where the different thicknesses are used.

The fan fold sheets, I know most of you already know but I have to bring it up.
The foam sheeting known as Fanfold comes with a thin plastic film attached to one side. this has to be removed. you can either pick and peal at it , use masking tape to help you get it off or do like I did and blast the edge with compressed air.
If you use compressed air don't freak out when it separates from the sheet, inflates then explodes, Kinda fun really. the material what does not come off gets blasted again and comes off in smaller pieces.
Old Aug 06, 2010, 09:56 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,533 Posts
This looks like a really good project Sparks.

I have used the Dow FFF and have experienced that surface roughness in some bundles. Recently purchased the Owens Corning pink FFF, which is now more like the Dow material. An advantage to the OC is that it has a better surface finish over the Dow and it is a few $ cheaper.

I have been wanting to do a large scale project similar to the guy that did the 8ft B-17 and flew indoors. Would love to suprise some folks come November.

Best wishes,
Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Aug 06, 2010, 10:05 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
That would be Gary Jones I believe.
He lived in my area when we started working with fanfold.
we sure miss him around here or at least I do.
A least he has found a much better indoor flying site and still making advances in foam construction.
Old Aug 06, 2010, 12:12 PM
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
318 Posts
Sounds like a really interesting project!
This will be plane I definitely want to build
Toby
GermanTigger is offline Find More Posts by GermanTigger
Old Aug 06, 2010, 12:52 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
Patterns

The plans have been split into three sections. I'll try to keep all the patterns on one sheet if I can . The other two will have the fuselage and wing. This way you are only cutting up one sheet of the plans to make your patterns.
You will need card stock to make your patterns. Card stock is cardboard about the thickness of a cereal box or thick envelope but you will need a bunch, so for now your priority is collecting this material. Think about it the next time you are in line at the post office, it will come to you I promise.
I used spray adhesive to bond the patterns to the cardstock, then cut them out with scissors. The hole locations was then drilled to allow me to mark the foam. As I cut the formers each was marked and stacked for the next step.
I had all the stuff out so I cut the ribs too and set them aside for now.
Old Aug 06, 2010, 01:08 PM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
I don't know if I will get to build along with you Sparks, but I will definitely be watching.
I love your planes.

Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth
Old Aug 06, 2010, 01:13 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
I wish I could find the good FFF. The only stuff I have been able to find is the blue, but what I have purchased has a rough side! I have never seen any with a smooth side and I have never seen the O/C pink FFF.. I'll keep my eyes open next time I get out of town at some other stores... Also down here, only Lowes has the FFF Home Cheapo doesn't have it. w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Aug 06, 2010, 01:15 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks View Post
The plans have been split into three sections. I'll try to keep all the patterns on one sheet if I can . The other two will have the fuselage and wing. This way you are only cutting up one sheet of the plans to make your patterns.
You will need card stock to make your patterns. Card stock is cardboard about the thickness of a cereal box or thick envelope but you will need a bunch, so for now your priority is collecting this material. Think about it the next time you are in line at the post office, it will come to you I promise.
I used spray adhesive to bond the patterns to the cardstock, then cut them out with scissors. The hole locations was then drilled to allow me to mark the foam. As I cut the formers each was marked and stacked for the next step.
I had all the stuff out so I cut the ribs too and set them aside for now.
My guess is that the plan to make this marketable. But I would love to build one. I have my own CNC machine from which I cut foam parts from dxf files. Wonder if I could be of service to you? Free parts for plans.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2010, 01:30 PM
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
318 Posts
In Germany we donīt have Blue FanfoldFoam at all!
But I normally use Depron or other Styro stuff!
But this one will be a "have to build" for me!

The B29 in the picture is also only made out of 3mm Depron and some Balsa!
It has almost the same size!
I hope thats ok to post a pic in your thread!

Toby
GermanTigger is offline Find More Posts by GermanTigger
Old Aug 06, 2010, 01:43 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjg View Post
I wish I could find the good FFF. The only stuff I have been able to find is the blue, but what I have purchased has a rough side! I have never seen any with a smooth side and I have never seen the O/C pink FFF.. I'll keep my eyes open next time I get out of town at some other stores... Also down here, only Lowes has the FFF Home Cheapo doesn't have it. w.
RCFoam has been selling Cellfoam 88 in larger sheets. A 10 pack of 17" x 35" for $7. I just purchased 6 packs this week. With shipping it was $61. Just a skosh over $1 sheet. It takes two of these sheets to approximate the same sq. in. and an FFF sheet. The Cell foam has nice finish quality to it besides being white to begin with.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2010, 01:43 PM
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Feb 2005
780 Posts
Subscribed

Looks like another great build Sparks! !

Randy
Meatball is offline Find More Posts by Meatball