SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by hoppy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:46 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined May 2011
157 Posts
Hello, i bought a package off rcg for 4 lipos, well they were punctured and thanks to ups they were left in the hot sun all day, when i opened the package i smelled a very strong sweet smell lasting for at least 45 mins, i didnt know what it was until later, then it hit me it was probably lipo juice that evaporated!!!, do you guys think it is toxic, just want to know if i should be concerned. If it was harmful I will consider seeing a doctor.
giantkevmiester is offline Find More Posts by giantkevmiester
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:15 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Apr 2012
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantkevmiester View Post
Hello, i bought a package off rcg for 4 lipos, well they were punctured and thanks to ups they were left in the hot sun all day, when i opened the package i smelled a very strong sweet smell lasting for at least 45 mins, i didnt know what it was until later, then it hit me it was probably lipo juice that evaporated!!!, do you guys think it is toxic, just want to know if i should be concerned. If it was harmful I will consider seeing a doctor.
not toxic but would leave the box well outside the house
REVOJohn is offline Find More Posts by REVOJohn
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:23 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,176 Posts
Here is the MSDS on a typical LIPO cell. The sweet smell is from the organic solvent. If the cell is leaking the organic solvent it should be discharged and thrown away. There is no way to repair punctured lipos.

See MSDS. Look at the comments applying to the organic solvent.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:53 AM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
755 Posts
Serious fire hazard. Get them outdoors quick smart. Hoppy is right, if they are punctured, discharge them to 0v in a fire safe area and dispose of them.
Youtube "lipo fire" if you've never seen one.
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:57 PM
Euphoric flights
United States, NY, Fredonia
Joined Aug 2011
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
The sweet smell is the organic electrolyte. It is hazardous to your health. Download the pdf file. MSDS.

That pack should be discharged and discarded. It is a fire accident in the making.

Soldering lipo cells- Google to the rescue.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sold...ient=firefox-a

If they are Al tabs, aluminum solder is mandatory. I would prefer a 45W soldering iron. IMO, soldering guns are not good for this application.
Thank you very much for this information. I didn't know though should have presumed the toxicity of this battery ( SOAD ).

It is unfortunate that the punctured battery is probably my treasured Venum pack with a continuous supply of 50C

Also today my aircraft crashed on a different battery, I should have noted when after plugging in my video transmitter for a brief minute and a half ( at most ) the voltage went from 12.6 to 12.33 also when charging it immediately goes up to 12.6 and finishes... bad cell?

Yes I did google and in fact I bought some "solder-it" paste which did not seem to work. I was going to ask what is wrong, I have a butane soldering iron though no butane, I suppose if I was to have purchased the butane I still would have had no luck?

Aluminum solder? I thought you need zinc flux and zinc solder?

Thanks for the response, I shall figure out which one is the bad one, luckily the cells haven't been connected at all ( since I cannot solder them back together ). I was curious if anybody did this sort of work salvaging lipo cells and putting them back together. Especially when a retard has tried over and over again to solder it with Aluminum paste and lead solder / water based flux.
GreenAce92_v2 is online now Find More Posts by GreenAce92_v2
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:13 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,176 Posts
Another problem is that if the tabs get too hot the seal around the tab that prevents air getting into the cell fails and the cell chemicals degrade. I would guess the seals have been compromised if you have put a lot of heat on the tab.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:32 PM
Euphoric flights
Joined Aug 2011
584 Posts
Know of anyone who fixes batteries?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:08 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Apr 2012
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAce92_v2 View Post
Know of anyone who fixes batteries?
probably not worth the effort. Just go any buy a new set
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:39 AM
Platinum User
Joined Jul 2012
1 Posts
I got a new battery that says "11.1v 2300mah 20c" and another that says "11.1 2050mah 25c". Would someone please help me figure out how many amps do I charge these at? I saw the formula listed in this forum but the 20c and 25c seem like to big of numbers. any help would be much appreciated!
Alpha Drone is offline Find More Posts by Alpha Drone
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:25 AM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
For charging rate you are only concerned with the mAh number.
The 2300mAh to charge at 1C is 2.3AMPS on the charger.
The 2050mAh to charge at 1C is 2.0AMPS on the charger.

They are so close together and 1C rate is ultra conservative, I would treat them as the same size.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:49 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,176 Posts
Like TWC says.
Divide the mah by 1000 and charge at that amp rate. 1500mah/1000 = 1.5A charge rate.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:43 PM
Euphoric flights
Joined Aug 2011
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by REVOJohn View Post
probably not worth the effort. Just go any buy a new set
It's alright I figured out how to fix them. I tapped two holes in each tab that didn't have pre-existing solder, then I took some stranded wire and put it through the loops to make a physical contact, then I soldered this.

Works like a charm.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:44 PM
Euphoric flights
Joined Aug 2011
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Like TWC says.
Divide the mah by 1000 and charge at that amp rate. 1500mah/1000 = 1.5A charge rate.
Do the batteries which supposedly can be charged at "10C" or more than 1C, is this actually true? As in, you can charge a lipo in like 15 minutes?
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:36 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Do the batteries which supposedly can be charged at "10C" or more than 1C, is this actually true? As in, you can charge a lipo in like 15 minutes?
Yes.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:59 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Apr 2012
405 Posts
Quote:
yes true but definitly the pack life expectancy would be exponentially decayed
Site Sponsor