HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by hoppy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:48 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Lipos can operate down to -20C so your storage area location should not be a problem.
They should be warmed before charging. I think the magic number is 50F but you should check that.
Ok no worries, into the shed they go
It doesn't really get below -5C here, so they should be fine, the biggest issues I was worrying about was the daily temperature change happening constantly, but they should be ok.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2012, 04:52 AM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
723 Posts
When a lipo gets warmed it's voltage increases slightly. So there should only be a problem with temp fluctuations if the're fully chrged.
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
Old Jun 04, 2012, 02:37 AM
Euphoric flights
United States, NY, Fredonia
Joined Aug 2011
517 Posts
Hello,

I am trying to make a double 3 cell pack from 2200 mAh packs, I don't understand how to wire the balancing plugs.

I could have just kept the originals and paralleled them like the main deans plugs but I had to split the cells individually.

Can someone make a paint diagram on power wiring vs. Balancer wiring?
GreenAce92_v2 is offline Find More Posts by GreenAce92_v2
Old Jun 04, 2012, 07:59 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAce92_v2 View Post
Hello,

I am trying to make a double 3 cell pack from 2200 mAh packs, I don't understand how to wire the balancing plugs.

I could have just kept the originals and paralleled them like the main deans plugs but I had to split the cells individually.

Can someone make a paint diagram on power wiring vs. Balancer wiring?
see Post #2

Parallel and Series Battery Wiring Diagrams

Use drop down lists to pick the battery wiring you are intgerested in.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:31 PM
Euphoric flights
United States, NY, Fredonia
Joined Aug 2011
517 Posts
Thank you very much

This is probably something that I will learn but I will need a 6 cell balancing tap right? Since there are 6 cells?
GreenAce92_v2 is offline Find More Posts by GreenAce92_v2
Old Jun 04, 2012, 07:11 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,711 Posts
Yes, it will use 7 wires.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:38 PM
Let the hating begin
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
861 Posts
Ive got 2 Gens Ace 4s 4000 batteries with about 30-40 cycles at best.They charge up fine but will drop out under use after a few seconds of 2/3 to full throttle blasts,one lost power after a 5 second hover.Im wondering if they are trash or is there a way to cycle them & recharge so I can use them again.After the power loss experience Im reluctant to use them.
evalith8 is offline Find More Posts by evalith8
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:52 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,711 Posts
Sorry, lipos can not be revived.

But 30-40 cycles isn't much use unless:
1- they were operated near max current draw continuously.
2- They were stored fully charged.

Either one of those can reduce cycle life.

I'm assuming that they were balanced charge each time. If they weren't, one of the cells might be cutting out on you.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:07 PM
Let the hating begin
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Sorry, lipos can not be revived.

But 30-40 cycles isn't much use unless:
1- they were operated near max current draw continuously.
2- They were stored fully charged.

Either one of those can reduce cycle life.

I'm assuming that they were balanced charge each time. If they weren't, one of the cells might be cutting out on you.
all cells are within .15 of each other
evalith8 is offline Find More Posts by evalith8
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:28 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,711 Posts
Hmmmm, 0.15V not good. Balance should be within 0.04 max., highest to lowest when fully charged. The difference may (will) be higher when discharged.

Are they puffy?

The easiest test is to check the voltage under load and see what is happening. If yu have a fixed wing plane that draws a bunch of amps you can run the test with it. Just put a cell checker on the pack and watch what happens with the individual cell voltages. My guess is one or more cells in your packs have gone south.

Nothing to do but replace them. Too bad as GensAce packs get a lot of good reviews.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 04:50 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Apr 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evalith8 View Post
Ive got 2 Gens Ace 4s 4000 batteries with about 30-40 cycles at best.They charge up fine but will drop out under use after a few seconds of 2/3 to full throttle blasts,one lost power after a 5 second hover.Im wondering if they are trash or is there a way to cycle them & recharge so I can use them again.After the power loss experience Im reluctant to use them.
agree. Yuo can;t revive them. Seems 1 or more of the cells has died an early death.
REVOJOhn
REVOJohn is offline Find More Posts by REVOJohn
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:01 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
can i ask something?

I have an Astro flight lithium charger with the astroflight power supply. what I'm not sure about is what amperage setting do i use for these 2 different batteries?
tylergage is offline Find More Posts by tylergage
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:14 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Hey all, I have a Turnigy Mega Meter (from hobbyking), and wondering how to interpret the internal resistance. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=22631
It reads the internal resistance as being 50-70 mohms with several 20C packs that are 2 months old with 20-30 cycles. And up to 130mohm for packs that are still less then a year old, and have had less then 100 cycles.
Im wondering if it is just missing a decimal place, or is reading in a different scale (centi-ohms even, lol?)
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:38 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,711 Posts
I've made an IR meter and use it just to compare batteries as my readings don't line up with some reported numbers either.

Check out these 2 threads - One is a discussion of IR and the other one is a data base.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1577989
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1578001
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:23 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Apr 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Hey all, I have a Turnigy Mega Meter (from hobbyking), and wondering how to interpret the internal resistance. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=22631
It reads the internal resistance as being 50-70 mohms with several 20C packs that are 2 months old with 20-30 cycles. And up to 130mohm for packs that are still less then a year old, and have had less then 100 cycles.
Im wondering if it is just missing a decimal place, or is reading in a different scale (centi-ohms even, lol?)
Do remember IR is relative to the battery state of charge.
Eg: A good 5000mAhr 60C cell should be about 1 - 2mohn (on cell level)
130mohm is huge. I2R during your flight is allot of heat
Professional IR machines and hald held units can be bought but they cost a fair bit more than a toy grade device
REVOJohn is offline Find More Posts by REVOJohn