HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2010, 07:24 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
613 Posts
I have placed the COG at 560mm from the nosetip, and it goes level and stable in flight.
SpookiePower is offline Find More Posts by SpookiePower
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:16 AM
England
Joined Apr 2008
244 Posts
OK, 560 mm it is then, cheers for that :-)
not.likely is offline Find More Posts by not.likely
Old Oct 11, 2010, 01:31 PM
England
Joined Apr 2008
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookiePower View Post
I would like to add a tip - I have seen a lot of people asking for where to place the COG. I found (some where on the net) that the COG is 560mm from the nosetip, and I works just perfect for me.

I did cut a new lipo hatch behind the canopy - using 2200mAh 3s - but then had to add some weight in the nose. I placed some lead in the original nose-lipo-hatch (can show a picture later) and my F-18 goes really stable and level in flight.

And yet most of the other people seem to recommend somewhere between 22.5 - 23.75 inches, which is nowhere near 560 mm.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 01:35 PM
Joined Jun 2009
613 Posts
It works for me. In my blog you can see some flights with my F18.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 01:39 PM
England
Joined Apr 2008
244 Posts
OK spookie.... I hope to maiden her on Wednesday, and am getting a little paranoid about the crucuial COG. After doing my battery bay mods, mine comes out at around 565 mm so I think Ill leave her there and hope for the best. Cheers.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:16 AM
TEXAS
Joined Oct 2010
874 Posts
Battery

Can anybody tell me if this battery will work in a completely stock 64mm Art-Tech f-18 Blue angel without having to change out the esc, motor or any other electronics ? Looking to get a little more power as these things do not hand launch very well at all. I tried a hand launch the first time the other day from a 15ft hill (1600mah)and the thing almost hit the ground before it pulled up. Will the 2200 mah give me more power? Sure am glad i decided to do it from the top of a hill or my plane would have gotten demolished! Thanks

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dproduct=10279
Yort69 is offline Find More Posts by Yort69
Old Oct 12, 2010, 01:47 PM
Joined Jun 2009
613 Posts
Changing to more mah will not give you more power, it will give you more flight time.

If you want more power, you need another motor, fan, esc or a 4 cell lipo.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 02:35 PM
TEXAS
Joined Oct 2010
874 Posts
So i can run a 4s battery without changing the esc and motor and it will get me more power? If so, can you recommend a battery that will work? I need somthing that i can hand launch from level ground.
Sorry i'm not very knowledgeable about this EDF stuff. I can fly very well and have had many successful flights without crashing but Amps, 20c/30c, 3 s/4s watts, what will work with this, what will work with that, it all makes my head spin
Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2010, 03:16 PM
Joined Jun 2009
613 Posts
If you change to a 4s lipo, you will deliver more amps (power) to your plane, but your ESC must be able to handle this amount of amps.

I can't remember how many amps the stock ESC can handle - but I changed the ESC to this TURNIGY Plush 60amp and the motor to this Turnigy 2615 EDF Outrunner 4800kv I can now handlaunch it, but it is still pretty hard to handlaunch.

I use this lipo Turnigy nano-tech 2200mah 3S 45~90C.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 03:22 PM
TEXAS
Joined Oct 2010
874 Posts
I believe the plane has a 30 amp esc in it! Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2010, 03:24 PM
Joined Jun 2009
613 Posts
Your right I don't think a 4s would work with only a 30amp ESC.

Have you done any modification to your plane ?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 04:22 PM
TEXAS
Joined Oct 2010
874 Posts
No mods, totally stock ! This thread is getting my attention though. I just wish i understood electronics better than i do . What do you think would be more beneficial a stronger motor like a Dons 4800KV, esc and battery in a stock fan unit or go with a 70mm motor like whats being done in this thread?
The reason i want to hand launch is because it opens up the places i can go fly. Seems area's i find that have cement to take off and land on are usually tight areas and have lots of obstacles(parks/schoolyards ect.) and such so you cant really go all out and i find myself having to turn around constantly and having to fly at half throttle and such. I found a good place to really go all out but it barely launches off a 15ft hill and doesn't have any cement to take off with landing gear. Already tried to take off in very short grass and it couldn't hack it at all and it sucked grass clippings and stuff into the fan area....not good.
What does the 45c to 90c mean in terms of compatibility to esc and motor?
Old Oct 14, 2010, 07:45 AM
Air, Land & Sea RC's.
the tip of Colonel Lights finger
Joined Nov 2008
1,521 Posts
2200mah = how long your flight times will be. (milli-amp hour = mah) small batt' = small flight time. like a fuel tank in the car.

3s = 3cells in series.. so the 3 batts add up together to the usual 12.6v when charged. like cylinders in an engine. more cylinders give higher power output.

20c or 30c = how fast it can discharge. its like the fuel pump on your car.. no point having a whopping big motor if you got the fuel pump from a kia rio feeding it..

so lets say 30c.. that means it can handle 30x its rating during discharge.
so 2200mah X 30c = 66000mah max discharge (66amps)

so with my 70mm EDF using 60amps peak, you not only need a speed controller that can handle over 60amps.. but you also need a battery to deliver it or you overheat and puff the pack. in this case, you'd need at least 30c packs.
you should also make sure your motor and ESC can handle the # of cells your running. some only handle 3s, some motors are rated on 4s so putting in a 3s gives less performance, etc.

if you used a 2200, 3s, 20c.. you end up with 2200 x 20 = 44000 (44amps) and as you can see.. 44amps max is not anywhere near enough for a 60amp motor/esc.

i use the car fuel pump/motor/ fuel tank as a crude comparison..
Oblivion is offline Find More Posts by Oblivion
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:30 PM
Joined Jun 2009
613 Posts
If you want more power, you have to get a bigger ESC. The 30 amp version, is not enough. I bought the 4800kv motor, and really like it, but when using it with a 3s Lipo, it use about 47 amp, so you must get a bigger ESC.

I have also bought the 70mm fan/motor combo, but have not had the time to install it in my F18. But this fan create about 65-70 amps (as I remember), so I don't think my 60 amp ESC is big enough.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 01:44 PM
England
Joined Apr 2008
244 Posts
Maiden flight yesterday,on a 3s 2600.
First two attempts to hand launch resulted in ditching into the long grass, but on the third she got away fine.
Flew very well, no trim needed, and looked superb in the air.
I will be fitting a 4s to get the power up to around 700 Watts, and then hand launch should be easy.
All in all, a superb model for the money.