HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2010, 10:46 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
stock setup is approx 280w ?
I did a test on my stock setup, and the result was 322 watts.

But I have seen other people, getting the same result as you mention.
SpookiePower is offline Find More Posts by SpookiePower
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2010, 10:51 AM
Joined Jun 2009
570 Posts
Do you only use epoxy to glue the fan and foam block together, or do you also use epoxy to glue the fan to the rest of the fuse ?
Old Aug 06, 2010, 11:10 AM
Air, Land & Sea RC's.
the tip of Colonel Lights finger
Joined Nov 2008
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookiePower View Post
I did a test on my stock setup, and the result was 322 watts.

But I have seen other people, getting the same result as you mention.
thanks, i appreciate your input on the stock output (no pun intended

i made the mistake of not actually firing up the stock setup and testing it. i would have had to solder a deans and couldnt be bothered just to test it as i probably wont use the stock HK 30a speedie.

322w ---> 491w, its still a 169w (50%) increase in power

DONT glue your fan into the fuse, you'll never get it back out again.

you can see in my first few pics of this thread, theres one of the fan with a thin glue line around the edge of half the fan only, from where it sat in the block mount.
Oblivion is offline Find More Posts by Oblivion
Old Aug 06, 2010, 11:33 AM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
this is the 70mm fan im fitting

i havent flown with that setup yet, however if i can fit this 70mm setup then you should be able to fit virtually any 70mm EDF.

stock setup is approx 280w ?
the 70mm is 491w on 3s

64mm stock setup - 106g
70mm setup - 138g

i had to cut the mount tabs down on the fan. they have some notches, i just cut through the notch and filed it down a little bit so its sits in the foam's groove from the stock fan.

the stock fan's intake is a bit wider than its body. the wider intake section in the foam is what i used as a reference point to mount the intake of the 70mm fan in the same spot.
so from that intake marking, sand out the foam in the fuse going back past the two plastic screw mounts (this is where the foam block mount screws into)
i GENTLY filed the edge of those plastic mounts back a little aswell, it just allows the 70fan' to drop into place naturally.

sand out the foam block that the EDF mounts to.

the intake + exhaust openings right next to the fan are actually 70mm aswell it seems
Wow Glenny, that is a serious lookin setup.
Thats gonna haul some serious mail. Triple check the CG and you'll be a happy man.Great work!!
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Aug 08, 2010, 01:46 PM
Joined Jun 2009
570 Posts
My pushrods, on the elevator, was pretty soft so that they was bending and not able to push the elevator enough up and down. To make them stronger
I took a zip tight (I think that's the English word?), cut of the end of it and glued it into the elevator. Now they are strong and not bending.

I also added some lead in the original lipo hatch, because I have move the lipo behind the canopy.
Old Aug 08, 2010, 02:18 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,275 Posts
this was my mod, using carbon fiber pushrods to elevator. Easy with hollow CF tube. I upgraded servos to HS65HB.

Other mods, HET 2W-20 motor, 6904 EDF unit, Typhoon 75 amp ESC. All from
www.EJF.com

Note, this is the Nitro planes/Starmax F-18
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Old Aug 08, 2010, 02:32 PM
Joined Jun 2009
570 Posts
Have you installed your 70mm combo fan ?

I'm having a hard time just changing the motor, so now I'm thinking about buying a combo like you just did.
Old Aug 08, 2010, 03:55 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,275 Posts
Spookie Power
My "kit" from Electric Jet Factory came like this in a box. High quality HET components.
Certainly it's easier to work on the fan unit, install the motor with a fan outside the fuselage. I did have some trouble getting the stock fan out of the fuselage.
Once you get the stock fan out, putting in the new fan was pretty easy. I did build a test bed to test motor/fan components, run up EDF fans before installation, etc.

Note, my F-18 is the Starmax/Nitro planes unit.
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Aug 08, 2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2010, 12:58 AM
Air, Land & Sea RC's.
Joined Nov 2008
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Have you installed your 70mm combo fan ?

I'm having a hard time just changing the motor, so now I'm thinking about buying a combo like you just did.
yes and no.

yes, it all fits and will assemble no probs.. (ive only test fitted it)
installing the 70mm setup was VERY easy, as was adding the rudder setup. (both mods are childs play and work to perfection if you take your time)

however im working on other parts of the horny, so ive left the fan out until ive completely finished + cleaned out any loose bits of foam with an air comp so i know the fan doesnt eat anything first time i fire it up.

im currently looking at running both Ele's on independant channels, with some mixing.
Old Aug 09, 2010, 02:53 AM
Air, Land & Sea RC's.
Joined Nov 2008
1,521 Posts
i filled the nose cone with expanda-foam, it seems incredibly soft and thin without it.

it added a little bit of weight, but its rock solid now and should outlive the plane if it ever gets lawn darted at WOT

ive also updated my canopy mod + rudder mod posts.
Old Aug 09, 2010, 04:36 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,047 Posts
Another way to strengthen the pushrods on the cheap is to get a piece of carbon rod about the same length as the pushrod. Put them together then using normal cotton sewing thread wind it around until its all covered. This may take 100 turns or so. I cant remember. Then slop Epoxy all over it. It will not ever flex again.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Aug 09, 2010, 07:11 AM
Air, Land & Sea RC's.
Joined Nov 2008
1,521 Posts
Quote:
I would like to add a tip - I have seen a lot of people asking for where to place the COG. I found (some where on the net) that the COG is 560mm from the nosetip, and I works just perfect for me.

*edit*
and my F-18 goes really stable and level in flight.
spookie, i just took a look at this as im in the final stages of the build (ele to sort out, then final checks) and could you confirm for me that this 560mm location actually works out to be exactly 2" in front of the main L/G ?
Old Aug 09, 2010, 01:49 PM
Joined Jun 2009
570 Posts
This is a quick snapshot of my F18 hanging upside down from the ceiling.

If you look at the red spot, this is where I found the COG to be perfect. But I'm not sure if it is 2" in front of the main landing gear.
Last edited by SpookiePower; Aug 10, 2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 03:44 PM
Joined Jun 2009
570 Posts
Today I finally got my new motor installed - Turnigy 2615 EDF Outrunner 4800kv. I also installed a new ESC - TURNIGY Plush 60amp.

I had some hard time, removing the rotor adapter from the old motor, but I found out, that if I gave it a lot of heat, I could pull it of and install it on my new motor (look at the photo).

I did a test on the ground and the result = 491.5 watts - 45.85 amps - on a 3s Lipo fully charged.

The stock motor gave me 322 watts.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 06:11 AM
Air, Land & Sea RC's.
Joined Nov 2008
1,521 Posts
2200 3s 30c zippy, 40a plush
681w
65a
814g AUW

surprisingly the plush didnt even get warm. and in flight it'll get lots of air.
still, i'll have to take the 60a out my corsair just to be safe.

some pics.

i just need to finish off the ele servo's, and tidy up the wiring under the wings.
Last edited by Oblivion; Aug 11, 2010 at 07:19 AM.