SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 27, 2012, 07:17 PM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmint View Post
Answered in the other thread.
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2012, 06:13 AM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBello View Post
FPV NEWBIE HERE.....

I would be forever in debt to you if you would take the time to look at my diagram and give me your thoughts. Anyone?

ALSO... Would I have a problem using the "Basic Seup" while still running my servos through the eLogger? I guess what I'm asking is, to run the basic setup I should just not use all the parameters/bells and whistles at first right?.. Just want to get up and running first.

Thank you for your time.... Tim
Hello Tim. Find below some observations about your wiring diagram:

1) The way it is now, the mAh comsumed value that will be displayed by the OSD will not include the mAh consumed by your vid tx, because it is connected with the battery before the e-logger. Connect the power line to the vid tx after the e-logger (between e-logger and ESC), if you want the mAh comsumed to display the real (total) value.
2)Even if you do not have connected the audio out from the GoPro to the OSD, you can connect the audio out of the OSD to the audio in of your vid tx, if you want to be able to hear the voice warnings that the OSD is producing.
3) You show a 10Amp BEC connected between the e-logger and the ESC. If this is a separate UBEC, you should better connect it to the rc rx directly. If you do not have a free channel in your rc rx, you can use a Y cable to connect the UBEC. Important: connect only the signal (white or orange) wire of the ESC to the e-logger if you are using a separate UBEC.
4) Do not forget to set the failsafe position of the rudder in such a way that when the rc rx goes into failsafe, the rudder is held at the position for straight flight.

Let us know how it went.

Regards,
Stavros
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
Old May 31, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined May 2007
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfakias View Post
Hello Tim. Find below some observations about your wiring diagram:

1) The way it is now, the mAh comsumed value that will be displayed by the OSD will not include the mAh consumed by your vid tx, because it is connected with the battery before the e-logger. Connect the power line to the vid tx after the e-logger (between e-logger and ESC), if you want the mAh comsumed to display the real (total) value.
2)Even if you do not have connected the audio out from the GoPro to the OSD, you can connect the audio out of the OSD to the audio in of your vid tx, if you want to be able to hear the voice warnings that the OSD is producing.
3) You show a 10Amp BEC connected between the e-logger and the ESC. If this is a separate UBEC, you should better connect it to the rc rx directly. If you do not have a free channel in your rc rx, you can use a Y cable to connect the UBEC. Important: connect only the signal (white or orange) wire of the ESC to the e-logger if you are using a separate UBEC.
4) Do not forget to set the failsafe position of the rudder in such a way that when the rc rx goes into failsafe, the rudder is held at the position for straight flight.

Let us know how it went.

Regards,
Stavros

OK, very good suggestions... Two questions, if I connect the battery line to the Tx after the eLogger (battery out) (between eL/ESC) then how will it read and display it?

#2) My BEC is connected between the OSD and ESC, (Not the eLogger) is this wrong? You're saying to also connect it to a channel of me Rx? Correct? Any specific channel or does it matter?

Thank you!! :-)
TBello is offline Find More Posts by TBello
Old May 31, 2012, 12:32 PM
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Feb 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBello View Post
My BEC is connected between the OSD and ESC, (Not the eLogger) is this wrong? You're saying to also connect it to a channel of me Rx? Correct? Any specific channel or does it matter?
Hi TBello,

The way I understand your diagram, the BEC should not be between the OSD and ESC. The throttle out signal from the OSD to the ESC is for the PWM signal.

Typically, you'll put the BEC regulated output into your Rx. I'm not totally familiar with the FrSky receivers, but it looks like they don't distinguish a specific battery input channel. I wasn't able to find a user manual (quickly) on the FrSky webpage to say for sure.

P.S. After adding the BEC, I also removed the power signal from the ESC going into the OSD!!!
bgarber is offline Find More Posts by bgarber
Old May 31, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined May 2007
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarber View Post
Hi TBello,

The way I understand your diagram, the BEC should not be between the OSD and ESC. The throttle out signal from the OSD to the ESC is for the PWM signal.

Typically, you'll put the BEC regulated output into your Rx. I'm not totally familiar with the FrSky receivers, but it looks like they don't distinguish a specific battery input channel. I wasn't able to find a user manual (quickly) on the FrSky webpage to say for sure.

P.S. After adding the BEC, I also removed the power signal from the ESC going into the OSD!!!
Thank you bgarber, really appreciate it. I'm just learning...

What is PWM?
Removing the power signal from the ESC to OSD is a must?
I understand that the BEC goes into the Rx now, but should it connect into the eLogger as well, or no.
Last edited by TBello; May 31, 2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old May 31, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Feb 2012
34 Posts
PWM is pulse width modulation. The servo's position is based on the signal it gets from the receiver that has a "pulse width" of 1.5ms (neutral), 1.25ms for 0, and 1.75ms 90 every 20ms. See the wikipedia page here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servomechanism

Yes, if you are using a BEC then removing the power signal from the ESC is a must. I pulled that pin out of the ESC servo connector and made sure that my system worked properly before permanently cutting the power wire.

Not sure that I fully understand the last question. If you mean does the BEC provide power to the eLogger, then no, the BEC output power would not go to the eLogger. The battery provides power to the eLogger.

If you mean does the BEC get its power from the battery-in or battery-out side of the eLogger, then the answer is really up to you. Originally I had the BEC's input power coming from the battery-out side of the eLogger, which would work and the eLogger would count the power consumed by my receiver and servos. But after some input in this thread I decided have the BEC get its power from the LiPo directly (battery-in side of the eLogger).

I did that as a "fail safe" so that if power is lost to the eLogger I would still have power to the servos.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Nov 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
I did that as a "fail safe" so that if power is lost to the eLogger I would still have power to the servos.

You would have no video either right?
freshmint is offline Find More Posts by freshmint
Old Jun 01, 2012, 01:09 AM
Long Range FPV'er
Joined Feb 2009
575 Posts
Quote:
Well think about it you would lose power to the rx either way right?
It depends on what you want to see.. I'm using two motors because I fly a Twinstar II... it's nice to see the Amps drawn.. It's nice to see the Watts being used.. It tells me alot on how my motors are performing..

I'm least concerned about the Mah used.. What matters most to me is how many volts are left in my battery.. The only alarm I've setup goes off when the battery gets to low.. I look at the remaining volts left in my battery, and if they get too low I turn around and get my plane home and on the ground ASAP !!
So.. I'd say the remaining volts left in your battery is what matters most.. imho..

Therefore, I have the BEC connected to "Battery in" to the elogger to safeguard the power to the Rx thereby keeping the power to my planes servos so I can maintain control of the plane in case power is lost to the elogger..
If the battery connection is lost to the elogger and you have the BEC connected on the other side of the elogger you defeat the whole purpose having a BEC installed in the first place.. Power to the BEC is now non-existent and no more power to the Rx.. Plane will crash..

But you guys think that seeing the total Mah is more important?? How much does the BEC draw anyway..? Can't be too much to be that concerned about...
Mykro is offline Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mykro; Jun 01, 2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 02:47 AM
Joined Nov 2011
399 Posts
Mykro

Can I wire the bec to both the esc and batt side of the elogger?
If the elogger shutdown.. the OSD PRO would go with it? You would have no video and crash anyways
Last edited by freshmint; Jun 01, 2012 at 02:58 AM.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined May 2007
107 Posts
THANK YOU MUCH bgarber...

I'll be working on it this weekend.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 10:36 AM
Long Range FPV'er
Joined Feb 2009
575 Posts
Quote:
Mykro

Can I wire the bec to both the esc and batt side of the elogger?
If the elogger shutdown.. the OSD PRO would go with it? You would have no video and crash anyways
Go here.
http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...ec_wiring.html

Notice how they have the BEC bypassing the ESC.. If the ESC gets fried the BEC powers your Rx..

Tho only difference is the elogger gets added in between the battery and the ESC, and the OSD gets powered off of the elogger. The OSD also connects to the Rx for power, but if the power to the elogger gets uninterrupted for any reason then there is no more power supplying the ESC, OSD, Rx.

This is where the BEC comes into play and powers the Rx..
Mykro is offline Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 02:33 PM
Joined Feb 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
You would have no video either right?
Don't know yet... I'm running my video system off a second battery. But I do run the video through the OSD and I don't know what will happen if I lose power to that. However, I do know that my servos work through the OSD w/o power to the OSD.

There will always be trade-offs in a design. I'm hoping that if something bad happens to the eLogger (low probability) that I still have a fighting chance to control the plane.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 01:06 AM
Joined Nov 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykro View Post
Go here.
http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...ec_wiring.html

Notice how they have the BEC bypassing the ESC.. If the ESC gets fried the BEC powers your Rx..

Tho only difference is the elogger gets added in between the battery and the ESC, and the OSD gets powered off of the elogger. The OSD also connects to the Rx for power, but if the power to the elogger gets uninterrupted for any reason then there is no more power supplying the ESC, OSD, Rx.

This is where the BEC comes into play and powers the Rx..
You would still crash even if you have power to the servo.. no video*
Old Jun 02, 2012, 01:06 AM
Joined Nov 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Don't know yet... I'm running my video system off a second battery. But I do run the video through the OSD and I don't know what will happen if I lose power to that. However, I do know that my servos work through the OSD w/o power to the OSD.

There will always be trade-offs in a design. I'm hoping that if something bad happens to the eLogger (low probability) that I still have a fighting chance to control the plane.
How can you control the plane when you cant see what its doing?
I just did a test and there no video when elogger is turn off cam and vtx was power from a second battery this really defeat the purpose wiring your bec to the battery
Old Jun 02, 2012, 05:05 PM
Joined May 2007
107 Posts
Quote:
Hi TBello,

Hey again bgarber....

After powering up everything works well. Only two problems:

#1. Software to my OSD/eLogger works but is asking me to download latest firmware every time I open it. I'll download latest OSD/eLogger save and sign out and then when I come back to he program it will ask me to update to the latest version again.

#2. Somewhere on this diagram is the reason why I seem to be draining and drawing waaay too much power too quickly on my 2200mh battery... Can anyone help me and figure it out?
Last edited by TBello; Jun 03, 2012 at 03:58 PM.