HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2003, 08:51 PM
Certified Slopehead
San Diego, CA.
Joined Jan 2001
2,268 Posts
Reversing an Astro 020 motor

I need to reverse my Asto 020 so that it turns counter clockwise instead of clockwise. Right now it's got the three straight wires coming right out of the motor into the Zero-Loss connectors...Looks real nice and clean. to reverse it, I guess I have to switch any two wires. So that means that I'll have to pop the plastic connector off, then un-solder two of the wires from the pins and then pull the wires out of the plastic housing, switch them, hen solder them back to pins, correct? So it's not going to look nearly as clean because two of the wires will be crossed between the motor and the connector. Won't that also mean that because they're crossed, one side will end up looking shorter than the other? I'm just worried because I'm not the best solderer, and I don't have much wire to play with if I mess up. Thanks for any sugestions.
tenover is offline Find More Posts by tenover
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2003, 10:18 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Re: Reversing an Astro 020 motor

Quote:
Originally posted by tenover
I need to reverse my Asto 020 so that it turns counter clockwise instead of clockwise. Right now it's got the three straight wires coming right out of the motor into the Zero-Loss connectors...Looks real nice and clean. to reverse it, I guess I have to switch any two wires. So that means that I'll have to pop the plastic connector off, then un-solder two of the wires from the pins and then pull the wires out of the plastic housing, switch them, hen solder them back to pins, correct? So it's not going to look nearly as clean because two of the wires will be crossed between the motor and the connector. Won't that also mean that because they're crossed, one side will end up looking shorter than the other? I'm just worried because I'm not the best solderer, and I don't have much wire to play with if I mess up. Thanks for any sugestions.
You have to reverse any two wires so bite the bullet and just do it!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Jun 25, 2003, 11:02 PM
Certified Slopehead
San Diego, CA.
Joined Jan 2001
2,268 Posts
I just unsoldered two wires. Seriously, there's not even enough play in the wire once they're twisted to bring them back through the plastic connector......Can I take the motor apart and unsolder them there, allowing the lengths to be the same?
Old Jun 25, 2003, 11:14 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tenover
I just unsoldered two wires. Seriously, there's not even enough play in the wire once they're twisted to bring them back through the plastic connector......Can I take the motor apart and unsolder them there, allowing the lengths to be the same?
Why can't you move the speed control forward??? Don't take the motor apart!!!!!
boomer
Old Jun 26, 2003, 01:57 AM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
Dose your Astro motor have the new three pin Zero Loss connector attached ?

If so you only needed to unplug the esc from the motor and plug the two together after turning either one 180 degrees.
Just like you used to be able to do to a 110 AC pluk at home before the "better" polarized AC plugs.

BTW - You should not swap the wires on the older sensored brushless motors.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Jun 26, 2003, 03:13 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Kevin's Right if you have the 3 pin zero loss conectors it's as easy as that!
boomer
Old Jun 26, 2003, 08:26 AM
Certified Slopehead
San Diego, CA.
Joined Jan 2001
2,268 Posts
I do, and that's what I thought, but it didn't look like it changed direction....I'll try it again.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 03:14 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,187 Posts
If your 020 is the sensored type (with additional wires going to the controller other than the 3 primary power wires) then you can't easilly reverse it. You need to send it back to astro to get a set of reverse rotation sensors installed.
Allan Wright is online now Find More Posts by Allan Wright
Old Jun 26, 2003, 03:25 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Allan Wright
If your 020 is the sensored type (with additional wires going to the controller other than the 3 primary power wires) then you can't easilly reverse it. You need to send it back to astro to get a set of reverse rotation sensors installed.
If he has the new 3 pin connector as he says then it's the sensorless!
boomer
Old Jun 26, 2003, 03:40 PM
Certified Slopehead
San Diego, CA.
Joined Jan 2001
2,268 Posts
It has the new 3 pin connector.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 10:19 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
Then solder the wires back in the 3 pin connector where they were. Put the plug in the socket, if you have the motor rotation you want you are set. If you need to switch the rotation just unplug the plug and give it a 180 deg turn and plug in. This reverses the outer two wires thus reversing the direction of motor rotation. Center wire is always center and the two outer ones swap.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray