HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by kinderkram, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 03:22 PM
Solihull, England
Joined Jun 2004
974 Posts
If I use a separate UBEC and disconnect all the ESC BEC's what do I need to do before I connect the USB? I was hoping I could just disconnect the UBEC but leave everything else connected including the receiver.

regards Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
No, you MUST NOT connect the escs/motors when you use the usb. (Please read the warnings).
The configurator just starts without connecting at first. You'll have to click on "Connect" after you set the values.
But you do have an installation problem. The configurator doesn't start properly. This error message has nothing to do with the previous port settings.
Peter Seddon is offline Find More Posts by Peter Seddon
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2010, 04:06 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,309 Posts
When you connect the usb for the first time, make sure there are no escs/motors/lipos connected. The board gets it's power through the usb. If the motors were connected they'd draw power through the usb and that could cause a damaged to the outputs.

After initializing the eeprom and calibration the pids (if necessary) you can connect your rx to the board. Still no escs/motors connected you can calibrate your tx. It also gets its power through the usb. Reset the model you are using to get default values for the calibration.

Then you can
- either use a UBEC to power the board and cut off all BEC power wires that come from the escs
- or use only one power cord coming from the escs (I attached a simple switch to one power line so I can switch it off when connecting to the usb)

After that you can test the motor commands with your lipo plugged in.
But beware! Don't put your props on while testing the motors.

Sometimes it's necessary to reset the board. Press the reset button on the APM while board powered on and wait until the green led glows (boot ok).

Best way to avoid this is to always have your tx switched on, when plugging the lipo.

Good luck!
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2010, 04:38 PM
Clyde, Ca. USA
Clyde, Ca. USA
Joined May 2007
2,382 Posts
Norbert
Can you explain the programs we have loaded?
First was the arducopter sketch. What does that do?
Then the Initializing the EEPROM, what does that do?
Where is the program that tells the quad how to react to our commands while flying? Is it in there already?
I am a complete neewby at this so please excuse my ignorance as to how this all fits together.
You mentioned it was setup for X already so is that built in somehow?
Thank you. John
john339 is offline Find More Posts by john339
Old Aug 15, 2010, 06:08 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john339 View Post
Norbert
Can you explain the programs we have loaded?
First was the arducopter sketch. What does that do?
Then the Initializing the EEPROM, what does that do?
Where is the program that tells the quad how to react to our commands while flying? Is it in there already?
I am a complete neewby at this so please excuse my ignorance as to how this all fits together.
You mentioned it was setup for X already so is that built in somehow?
Thank you. John
Well ... trying to do an easy breakdown: you could compare it to a pc.

There you have your "central processing unit" - the cpu which is the programmable brain. On the APM it's the ATMega chip - the biggest one on the board.
Those sketches are pieces of software that tell the brain how to handle the different flight states and how to handle the periphery. Like when you want to plug a printer to your pc (in our case the escs/motors) the computer needs to know how to handle the color settings, font types a.s.o.

I.e. some commands in the sketches are described as "if ... then" conditions.
Your pc: "If print color = black ... then take cartouch #1"
Compared to your pc it would sound like
"If flight command = turn left ... then put higher speed on motors 1&2"

When you initialize the eeprom (electrically erasable programmable read-only memory) you tell it the initial values to start with.

These values are implemented in the files and libraries you use to program the brain. You can easily edit the *.pde files in the arduino.exe, save it and upload it to your APM. If you know what your are doing...
That's how I changed it from + to x

The final release will surely have an easier way to handle the installation, upload and parameter adjustment including calibration, monitoring, waypoint navigation etc.

But until then we are all alpha dogs & beta boys.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2010, 06:56 PM
Clyde, Ca. USA
Clyde, Ca. USA
Joined May 2007
2,382 Posts
OK Thanks.
I am waiting for the frame from Jakub and then I will proceed to the next step.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:28 AM
Michigan
Joined Dec 2008
2,007 Posts
lost

http://aeroquad.com/content.php?114 OK im kind of lost hear this is a link to aeroquad and there part list it does not look like your parts list there is so much to read and i think im lost or may be i just don't get it but are there two different kits that can be built or do i just order the parts that kinderkram parts list i would like my quad to have position hold alt hold and waypoint now if i order the parts from kinderkram part list will it have all of the things i want and im sorry if i sound like a dumbass just all that reading has got me a Brian bleed Thank you for any info Tom
tom6696950 is offline Find More Posts by tom6696950
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:37 AM
Clyde, Ca. USA
Clyde, Ca. USA
Joined May 2007
2,382 Posts
Tom Kinderkram's thread is how to build an ARDUCOPTER
Your thread shows the parts for an AEROQUAD
This thread is about the Arducopter and the parts listed are for the arducopter.
It is confusing as there are many quads using parts like the Arducopter uses but perhaps not exactly like it uses.
Hope that explanation helps.
As to position hold and waypoint I don't know but Kinderkram will be able to tell you.
You don't sound like a dumbass, keep asking questions so I can continue to learn too.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:07 AM
Michigan
Joined Dec 2008
2,007 Posts
Quote:
Tom Kinderkram's thread is how to build an ARDUCOPTER
Your thread shows the parts for an AEROQUAD
This thread is about the Arducopter and the parts listed are for the arducopter.
It is confusing as there are many quads using parts like the Arducopter uses but perhaps not exactly like it uses.
Hope that explanation helps.
As to position hold and waypoint I don't know but Kinderkram will be able to tell you.
You don't sound like a dumbass, keep asking questions so I can continue to learn too.
John thank you for those good words and yes its easy to get confused with all the quads that are out there but i can not find all the parts like the oilpan no one has it in stock and i would like to order the parts for one store but it looks like i may have to order from a few and as fare as the postion hold way point alt hold it seems that it should do all of that but im sure kinderkram can answer that Tom
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:16 AM
Michigan
Joined Dec 2008
2,007 Posts
kinderkram is it all so possible to add Ir sensor and i think that i will buy the frame thats going to be coming out hopfuly soon Tom
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:18 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom6696950 View Post
http://aeroquad.com/content.php?114 OK im kind of lost hear this is a link to aeroquad and there part list it does not look like your parts list there is so much to read and i think im lost or may be i just don't get it but are there two different kits that can be built or do i just order the parts that kinderkram parts list i would like my quad to have position hold alt hold and waypoint now if i order the parts from kinderkram part list will it have all of the things i want and im sorry if i sound like a dumbass just all that reading has got me a Brian bleed Thank you for any info Tom
Who's a dumbass? Can't see any dumbass around - only some n00bs like me trying to get a foot on the ground.

As John already mentioned, you hit the wrong site. I linked to Ted's aeroquad store because he's got the APM in store - DIYdrones don't sell it. Here's why:
http://diydrones.com/page/autopilots-1
You can also purchase the APM board from Sparkfun or other stores I mentioned in the blog.

I tested the latest firmware (v1.31) and must say that the stable mode is already damn stable! I could only fly indoors as the weather in Germany is bad.

GPS position hold is being tested right now and I hopefully can announce success this week. Our coders are working hard on the other sensors:
- pressure sensor for precise altitude hold
- ultra sound for short-range altitude hold and autonomous take off and landing
- magnetormeters and gps for waypoint navigation
- distance sensors (IR or ultra sound) for obstacle avoidance

As soon as the weather's getting better I'll test my new HD cam for flight vids.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:31 AM
Clyde, Ca. USA
Clyde, Ca. USA
Joined May 2007
2,382 Posts
I tested the latest firmware (v1.31) and must say that the stable mode is already damn stable!

Norbert
When you say v1.31 is that the latest sketch?
What are we using now? I read 1.3 beta at the top of the sketch I loaded.
When you have tested the latest will you tell us how to load it in this thread?
Thank you for a great and fun quad. Lots to learn and that is what keeps old geezers like me kicking.........
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:37 PM
Michigan
Joined Dec 2008
2,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
Who's a dumbass? Can't see any dumbass around - only some n00bs like me trying to get a foot on the ground.

As John already mentioned, you hit the wrong site. I linked to Ted's aeroquad store because he's got the APM in store - DIYdrones don't sell it. Here's why:
http://diydrones.com/page/autopilots-1
You can also purchase the APM board from Sparkfun or other stores I mentioned in the blog.

I tested the latest firmware (v1.31) and must say that the stable mode is already damn stable! I could only fly indoors as the weather in Germany is bad.

GPS position hold is being tested right now and I hopefully can announce success this week. Our coders are working hard on the other sensors:
- pressure sensor for precise altitude hold
- ultra sound for short-range altitude hold and autonomous take off and landing
- magnetormeters and gps for waypoint navigation
- distance sensors (IR or ultra sound) for obstacle avoidance

As soon as the weather's getting better I'll test my new HD cam for flight vids.
That's what im looking for and this is all updatability correcte? now if i can find all the parts i need i will order what i can and hope the rest will be in stock soon one more thing so in the near future i will be able to put all of those sensors on? thank you for your help and looking forward to start this build Tom
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:58 PM
Clyde, Ca. USA
Clyde, Ca. USA
Joined May 2007
2,382 Posts
Tom There are gyros and accelerometers and a pressure sensor on the oilpan board.
Kinderkram is flying with just these sensors now.
His quote "For now I only use the gyros and accs that come along with the shield.
Magnetometers and GPS is on the way."
I think upgrades to the software will allow us to move further on to GPS and Magnetometers.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 01:23 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,309 Posts
Quote:
I tested the latest firmware (v1.31) and must say that the stable mode is already damn stable!

Norbert
When you say v1.31 is that the latest sketch?
What are we using now? I read 1.3 beta at the top of the sketch I loaded.
When you have tested the latest will you tell us how to load it in this thread?
Thank you for a great and fun quad. Lots to learn and that is what keeps old geezers like me kicking.........
Yes v1.31 is the latest (the *.zip contains firmware and libraries)
I already described how to upload the new sketches - please read chapter II.
You only need the second download.
And yep - these version tagging is rather confusing. It's already been discussed in the team.

If everything worked after upload you can see the new version 1.31 displayed in the upper left corner of the configurator after connect.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2010, 01:42 PM
Clyde, Ca. USA
Clyde, Ca. USA
Joined May 2007
2,382 Posts
If it flies OK with the present version is there a reason to go to the newest version?
I'll understand, it just takes time.