SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by kinderkram, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 06:41 PM
Israel
Joined Aug 2010
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilippMaloney View Post
What keeps you from flying in X mode? Just put the AMP back between the two front arms again and load the code from the trunk and choose X-Mode. If you just like flying around, the current version will do perfectly. And the camera control will be much more easy.

Phil
What i'm saying is that AC code (AC-NG) is going in that direction, so we should too
Levinemax is offline Find More Posts by Levinemax
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2010, 07:13 PM
Green slimy creature
Kyiv, Ukraine
Joined Jun 2010
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levinemax View Post
it seems that there is no more actual X mode anymore, it just a "input command mix" it just like flying in + mode and moving the stick to UP+Right to go forward.
Exactly! If you rewind this thread back, you'll find me screaming about that (perhaps "lament" is a more accurate term ).
Quote:
In earlier code where the AMP for X mode were needed to face forward (between the arms), when you moved forward it was reading actual pitch level and was sending commands to front and right motors together, and it was more stable that way.
Actually today SVN still uses this "X between arms" mode. That's one of the reasons I like it. And I'm not sure that this "new orientation" is less stable. It's just less aestetic with my frame
Quote:
So now i guess that when you tunning PID it should be done in + mode only.
Not sure about that, really
Quote:
it is only a theory made of my observation
Your theory is correct, Max.
Quote:
Igor the lines of the code you posted earlier, are the input mix,
for the camera stabilization we need to create an output mix for the servos or we can wait for the AC team's solution, but why wait ?
Yep, this is the input mix, but I'm sure it is possible to deduce the output mix from it. You need to account for your camera orientation of course. And you are right again - why wait?

BTW, Jani promised me that they will eventually have "good old" X mode back in ArducopterNG as one of configurable options. Maybe it's time to remind him once more

Igor
Lyagukh is offline Find More Posts by Lyagukh
Old Oct 24, 2010, 07:15 PM
Green slimy creature
Kyiv, Ukraine
Joined Jun 2010
382 Posts
Quote:
YAAAAAY and another DIY AC is in the air !!!!
we will build an army and destroy all KKs and Parrots
Lehaim!
Old Oct 24, 2010, 07:24 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,311 Posts
Quote:
What i'm saying is that AC code (AC-NG) is going in that direction, so we should too
If you can make it flyable then why not go for it.
That way we could stay on the "official route" without this risk having to throw the pearls into the bin later.

And perhaps some of the solutions here will make it for others, too.

Thx for all your efforts, y'all!

I think it's worth keeping this blog up & running.
As soon as we come up with something, I'll update the build log and my software packages for others...
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2010, 08:04 PM
Israel
Joined Aug 2010
58 Posts

URA, after trying to get my memory back to 2nd grade mathematics
I got the camera stabilization working !!!!!!!!!!! in X mode on Alpha code

Code:
APM_RC.OutputCh(4, ch_aux3+(roll-pitch)*1000); //Tilt correction 
APM_RC.OutputCh(5, 1500+(roll+pitch)*1000); //Roll correction

if you don't have spare channel on the radio, just set tilt for the camera (1000-2000) instead of aux_3.

for the radio controlling tilt:
after line:
ch_aux2 = APM_RC.InputCh(5) * ch_aux2_slope + ch_aux2_offset;
add:
ch_aux3 = APM_RC.InputCh(6);

and in ArduCopter.h
add
Code:
int ch_aux3
in to "// Radio definitions"

@Igor Lehaim
Last edited by Levinemax; Oct 24, 2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 09:13 PM
Netherlands, ZH, Ridderkerk
Joined Aug 2010
329 Posts
AC spins

I am watching this thread every day and it is nice to see the progress of u all.
Finally i got mine replacement parts after a few months.

I am running the AC Alpha RC1 code and tried to take off, but all it does is spin like crazy regardless the mode (green APM led fast/slow blink).

Noticed too that when the stick returns from full yaw left/right to neutral position, the motors do not return to neutral

ac spinner (0 min 13 sec)

ac take-off spin.mov (0 min 8 sec)

Is the orientation of the DIYdrones compass wrong?
That is, the x-axis is inline with front arm.
isojed is offline Find More Posts by isojed
Last edited by isojed; Oct 24, 2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Youtube vid re-uploaded
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:02 PM
Israel
Joined Aug 2010
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isojed View Post
i like how you flipped the frame upside-down

did you tested it without the magneto ?

dose Yaw spins in the configurator too, you can see it in AH.
or try APM_compass_test.

my compass go crazy in all the tests, never tried to fly it tho...
so may be its a bug in alpha
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:47 AM
Green slimy creature
Kyiv, Ukraine
Joined Jun 2010
382 Posts
Quote:
AFAIK, magnetometer does not work in Alpha RC1. Please, try turning it off

Igor
Old Oct 25, 2010, 01:57 AM
Joined Mar 2010
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyagukh View Post
It will take time... Although I've studied mathematics and aerodynamics at Kiev University, it was long, long ago... Anyway, here is the link to the paper in question: http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/...ry-first-draft

The price is zero You already have a blackbox (data flash memory) on your Oilpan, where all the data is saved. If you turn on APM power while pressing SW1 button on the Oilpan (that button which is NOT reset button), the data are dumped to serial port. What is needed - a program to read data from there and save them for further processing.

Igor
You right the recording price is zero. but their will be a price for the automatic calculation of PID.... Thanx for the link.
lohnieh is offline Find More Posts by lohnieh
Old Oct 25, 2010, 02:04 AM
Joined Mar 2010
147 Posts
Quote:

URA, after trying to get my memory back to 2nd grade mathematics

Code:
APM_RC.OutputCh(4, ch_aux3+(roll-pitch)*1000); //Tilt correction 
APM_RC.OutputCh(5, 1500+(roll+pitch)*1000); //Roll correction

if you don't have spare channel on the radio, just set tilt for the camera (1000-2000) instead of aux_3.

for the radio controlling tilt:
after line:
ch_aux2 = APM_RC.InputCh(5) * ch_aux2_slope + ch_aux2_offset;
add:
ch_aux3 = APM_RC.InputCh(6);

and in ArduCopter.h
add
Code:
int ch_aux3
in to "// Radio definitions"

@Igor Lehaim
Thanx for sharing. I will also try it soon.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 02:13 AM
Joined Mar 2010
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
I remember there was a glitch in the original MTK GPS firmware.
Did anybody flash his MTK?

If not I'd recommend to do so. There's a way to flash the chip via APM/IMU. As far as I know you need an FTDI connection cable.

http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/MediaTek

The flash tool can be downloaded there.

Anybody?
I am also not happy with the DIY Drones hardware quality. I bought 4x GPS MTK and I could only update 2 of them. Then I read about the voltage regulator problem (5V to 3.3V). When I measured pin 1 on GPS it was only giving 3.08 - 3.13V on some of them. You need at least 3.2v for GPS. I then connect my 3.3V from Oilpan straight to GPS (with gnd) and could then update firmware. I do realized also now that I will have to make permanent connection (by passing the regulator of MTK) to get a GPS lock (Fix position). I thought of sharing this because I am sure there will be others having the same problem. (50% change)......

This latest MTK firmware update was out before I ordered my MTK GPS (2nd set). And yet it did not have the latest firmware???? I had to do the update myself So when you order a GPS MTK, make sure you have a FTDI connection cable, else you have problems.....
Old Oct 25, 2010, 05:48 AM
Milano, Italy
Joined Aug 2010
240 Posts
Quote:
I am watching this thread every day and it is nice to see the progress of u all.
Finally i got mine replacement parts after a few months.

I am running the AC Alpha RC1 code and tried to take off, but all it does is spin like crazy regardless the mode (green APM led fast/slow blink).

Noticed too that when the stick returns from full yaw left/right to neutral position, the motors do not return to neutral

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ojXSGlaK_8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLkp30lNeg4

OK, time to get my hans dirty....
I struggled with the same problem and I finally resolved i, so maybe I will share my experience.
Seems you have the Gyro Z problem. Apparently the chip is not well soldered and you get the AC trying to compensate switching off two motors.
1. You can be sure of that is you open the configurator: what is the value of the Gyro Yaw in the FlightData --> Sensor indicators?
If it's different form -1,0 or 1 then you will have problems flying it.
2. But then, if you have the value sitting still on 0, -1 or 1 even if you are moving the board (the sensor is very sensible so in any direction you are moving it you will see the indicator moving) then you will still have problems flying 'cause the copter is not able to understand what is going on...
3. In my case, if I touched slightly the Gyro Z chip, values started going crazy so I supposed it was a soldering problem

My Solution: Reflow Soldering
Disclaimer:
This is what i did after days of struggling and trying to debug the board. Be aware tha this method could ruin your board if you are not carefull, so I take no responsability for any damage you get .But I assure if you do it correctly it will work... at least it did for me.... and I am a totally newbe in the soldering, building, flying business!!!

1. Look on youtube, google and internet sites for some tutorials.
2. Cover your board with alluminium foil and just leave the chip uncovered. Better if you put a few layers of foil.
3. Get a hot air gun and point it at the chip for some seconds. Can't tell how many, but don't overheat ! Try this procedure on a piece of soldering wire to see how much it takes to melt... remember that the soldering points an the chip are very SMALL and they probably won't take that much to melt.
4. leave everything to cool down and try your configurator. If your Gyro moves with the board, you shuold be OK...

Hope this works...

BTW: This week end I flownfor the first time my AC and was amazed on how stable it is, and how EASY it is to fly compared to the GAUI!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So keep up the good work!!
And a special thanks to Norbert!: If it wasn't for your biulding log I would never throw myself in this project!! Hehehe

My Set-up
- GAUI 330X Frame orignal and glued in many parts!
- AC with SVN software release 716 (last available on Saturday)
- PID no change to the original ones
- 4 Turnigy Plush 30A
- 4 KDA 20-22L
- 4 standard GAUI props 8x3.8 (yeah I know.... )
emile.c is offline Find More Posts by emile.c
Old Oct 25, 2010, 07:12 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,311 Posts
Quote:

@Igor Lehaim
Lehaim, Cheers, Skol & Prost!

Can't wait to see the code live & in action!
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2010, 07:19 AM
Joined Mar 2010
147 Posts
Just a simple question.
I was busy trying to download the latest libraries. Currently I am downloading 1 by 1 file from the http://arducopter.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/libraries/
but are there not an easier way. Is it possible to download everything in one go?

I just thought I ask??
Old Oct 25, 2010, 07:27 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Aug 2010
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohnieh View Post
Just a simple question.
I was busy trying to download the latest libraries. Currently I am downloading 1 by 1 file from the http://arducopter.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/libraries/
but are there not an easier way. Is it possible to download everything in one go?

I just thought I ask??
Just use SVN to download it all (see the howto in the blog/ first page)

Mlameris is offline Find More Posts by Mlameris