HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:57 PM
Fast Cal
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jul 2011
184 Posts
The National Park oversees the lake. The SFMYC is its own organization. The signs you see are put up by the National Park Service. Sailboats can run anytime. We have an understanding that the sailboats stay usually on the Fulton side of the lake. The battery powered boats and propelled boats stay on the JFK part of the lake. Frequencies SHOULD always be checked with others if you have an AM/FM transmitter before you power on. Battery powered boats can run anytime. As always with common sense and common courtesy.
cvctiger is offline Find More Posts by cvctiger
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:30 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanceJ View Post
...what is posted there on the two signs ... It states sail boats could run anytime unless theres an Internal combustion boat which runs 10am to 1pm which then the sailboats need to get out.
Where does it say that?
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:32 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2007
281 Posts
The City of San Francisco owns Golden Gate Park and its confines, including Spreckels Lake. The Park and Recreation Department manages Golden Gate Park. The Lake was constructed for the use of the San Francisco Model Yacht Club in 1904. Since that time the Club has been the benign caretaker of the lake and model boat activities.

http://www.timeshutter.com/image/spr...sco-california

The rules are imposed by Park & Rec.

At one time a few years ago the noisy nitro or gas boats created a situation that almost closed the lake to gas boats, due to the noise echoing down the street on the north side of the park. After much lobbying by the members of the Club, the crisis was averted, and gas boats can be run before 1 PM on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays [as last I recall].

RC boats are free to run until 1 PM. If you come to the lake at anytime, and there's an organized activity going on or a Power Squadron event, just ask the boaters if you can run [out of their way] and verify that you won't be in conflict with the radios, even spectrum radios, just out of courtesy.

In my day, I would often let people run while we had a power squadron event as long as they ran out of the way and didn't have any potential radio conflicts. That way they get a chance to run and might come back to participate another day.

The Sail Squadron runs after 1 PM any time unless by prior agreement the other rc boat events may carry on into the afternoon.

As caretaker for the Lake, the Club has arranged for other places to run when the Lake was drained or under repair. The Lake at Portals of the past was used one year for recreational boating. The westernmost casting pond has been used for many military events, allowing the submariners to actually see their boats submerged.

All in all its through friendly cooperation that all can enjoy the facilities in the Park.
tugs is offline Find More Posts by tugs
Old Nov 30, 2011, 01:59 AM
Joined Aug 2011
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
Where does it say that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugs View Post
The City of San Francisco owns Golden Gate Park and its confines, including Spreckels Lake. The Park and Recreation Department manages Golden Gate Park. The Lake was constructed for the use of the San Francisco Model Yacht Club in 1904. Since that time the Club has been the benign caretaker of the lake and model boat activities.

http://www.timeshutter.com/image/spr...sco-california

The rules are imposed by Park & Rec.

At one time a few years ago the noisy nitro or gas boats created a situation that almost closed the lake to gas boats, due to the noise echoing down the street on the north side of the park. After much lobbying by the members of the Club, the crisis was averted, and gas boats can be run before 1 PM on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays [as last I recall].

RC boats are free to run until 1 PM. If you come to the lake at anytime, and there's an organized activity going on or a Power Squadron event, just ask the boaters if you can run [out of their way] and verify that you won't be in conflict with the radios, even spectrum radios, just out of courtesy.

In my day, I would often let people run while we had a power squadron event as long as they ran out of the way and didn't have any potential radio conflicts. That way they get a chance to run and might come back to participate another day.

The Sail Squadron runs after 1 PM any time unless by prior agreement the other rc boat events may carry on into the afternoon.

As caretaker for the Lake, the Club has arranged for other places to run when the Lake was drained or under repair. The Lake at Portals of the past was used one year for recreational boating. The westernmost casting pond has been used for many military events, allowing the submariners to actually see their boats submerged.

All in all its through friendly cooperation that all can enjoy the facilities in the Park.
what is sail and power squadron? I am not part of any of those.

aerominded,

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...S-Sign.web.jpg

those signs that are posted. It says "Sail boats shall have access of the lake at all other times"
maybe not get out... but it seems like it states sail boats don't have access if they gas boats are running at that time?
ChanceJ is offline Find More Posts by ChanceJ
Last edited by ChanceJ; Nov 30, 2011 at 02:34 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:03 AM
Joined Aug 2011
10 Posts
The reason I bring this up is because it seems that every once in a while, I hear a SFMYC member stating rules that are expected for local residents to know off hand.
I also hear stories of SFMYC members telling other RCÚrs off... like they aren't allowed to run here.

I went out to the lake one Sunday, and I stood by an RC crowd as I asked if anyone was using 27 Mhz and if it was ok to run with them. They replied and said it was ok, but when I saw a family bring out a sailboat about 200 feet away from us on the right near the trees, one of the RCÚr running the boat with the red white and blue SFMYC flag on it said "hey, those sailboaters aren't allowed to run till 1pm."

I didn't want to say anything as I didn't want to cause any conflict, and the RCÚr didn't do anything to the family, but I wanted to know is there some kind of rule that says specific boats are suppose to run at specific times if they are deemed safe, and hazard free; like a slow scale boat or sail boat.
ChanceJ is offline Find More Posts by ChanceJ
Last edited by ChanceJ; Nov 30, 2011 at 02:40 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:36 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2007
281 Posts
Quote:
what is sail and power squadron? I am not part of any of those.

[edited]

those signs that are posted. It says "Sail boats shall have access of the lake at all other times"
maybe not get out... but it seems like it states sail boats don't have access if they gas boats are running at that time?
If you're not power or sail, you might be a little dinghy, the only other boat allowed on the Lake, usually to save a distressed vessel.

As stated earlier, observe the "courtesy rules" and I might add common sense should prevail, though not very common and rarely sensible.

No boater should put his boat in peril. If you can't control your sailboat or electric, stay out of the way. I've seen too many people put their boats in the water without turning on their receivers and stand there holding their useless transmitter while their boat races across the lake at full tilt, until it bumps into the far shore. When the water is high we've had a few boats hit innocent bystanders and even land in the middle of Fulton and 36th Ave. Yes sailboats tend to stay right there or float with the wind, waiting to be rescued by a kindly electric tug.

Some nitro or gas guys don't have the class that the old guard had, see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1535929
Ken Reilly and his ilk were artisans, tuning their boats and engines and setting standards that we rarely see today. Thanks to Messers Valk, Cucci and Garis we can see what gas boating really should be.

Hopefully we can have more cooperation and respect and enjoy this marvelous treasure that we call Spreckels Lake.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:23 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Quote:
aerominded,

I think the sign says: "Sail boats shall have full access of the lake at all other times."

I don't think the sign says: "Sail boats don't have access if the gas boats are running."
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:27 PM
RC Flying;Lego Contraption Guy
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugs View Post
If you're not power or sail, you might be a little dinghy, the only other boat allowed on the Lake, usually to save a distressed vessel.

As stated earlier, observe the "courtesy rules" and I might add common sense should prevail, though not very common and rarely sensible.

No boater should put his boat in peril. If you can't control your sailboat or electric, stay out of the way. I've seen too many people put their boats in the water without turning on their receivers and stand there holding their useless transmitter while their boat races across the lake at full tilt, until it bumps into the far shore. When the water is high we've had a few boats hit innocent bystanders and even land in the middle of Fulton and 36th Ave. Yes sailboats tend to stay right there or float with the wind, waiting to be rescued by a kindly electric tug.

Some nitro or gas guys don't have the class that the old guard had, see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1535929
Ken Reilly and his ilk were artisans, tuning their boats and engines and setting standards that we rarely see today. Thanks to Messers Valk, Cucci and Garis we can see what gas boating really should be.

Hopefully we can have more cooperation and respect and enjoy this marvelous treasure that we call Spreckels Lake.
damn tugs... cut the guy some slack... Its that kind of attitude discourages people from getting into the hobby. I believe also that ChanceJ also STATED that he observed the rules posted and STATED he does use common courtesy. Please BE COURTEOUS and DO NOT attack other members. Educating and informing is the best way to ensure safety and tranquility.

I can kind of see where ChanceJ is going with this.

ChanceJ, Sail squadron and power squadron refers to the boats youre running. Sail is sailboats and power is power boats.
I didn't know what sail squadron or power squadron was either; but was lucky enough to find a group of boaters to educate me on what they were. Don't feel bad; you aren't the only one.

The lake is not owned by the SFMYC, so any "member" who acts like they own the lake, just ignore them if they're causing trouble and telling you what you can and can not run. but please do run your boat safely and courteously without disrupting anyone, anything; anyone including wildlife.

CVCtiger stated it well in an earlier post. The actual rules that apply to your boat is posted as you have observed. which on this present day are those brown signs which states 7 rules. According to Park Code Regulations Article 3, section 2 states, "Signs To Be Obeyed. "
MrLego is offline Find More Posts by MrLego
Last edited by MrLego; Nov 30, 2011 at 04:54 PM. Reason: misplaced period/grammatical error
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:40 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,673 Posts
I cannot believe this is still going on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
I know everyone hates me putting this up as it really has no enforceable meaning, but it kinda' does cover the old rules-of-thumb on the Lake in addition to my personal (non-binding) understanding of the Recreation & Park Dept. signs which may or may not be accurate.

Most of it is common sense when you come down to it; the extreme east and west ends of the Lake are too small for a big go-fastie to maneuver and loud boats shouldn't be running on the north shore because of the noise that reaches the residents of Fulton Street beyond the tree line.

---------------------------------------------

OK, Quick refresher course: the applicable law
from the Park Code section of the San Francisco Municipal Code...

(plus the posting on the signs).

SEC. 3.02. SIGNS TO BE OBEYED.
No person shall willfully disobey the notices,
prohibitions or directions on any sign posted by
the Recreation and Park Commission or the
Recreation and Park Department. (Added by
Ord. 603-81, App. 12/18/81)

also

SEC. 4.01. - DISORDERLY CONDUCT.

No person shall, in any park without permission of the Recreation and Park Department:
(d) Carry or use a model airplane which is powered by liquid fuel or designed to be used with such fuel;

And they just added the " No Smoking" sign... SF Health Code, Article 19I

Older(original) sign up a tree,
north (sail) side of Spreckles Lake...

"Model Yacht Facility
No Fishing Allowed
Power boats on south side of lake only between 10am and 1pm Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday only"

and the new signage in a couple of places near the power 'pit area' on the south side of the Lake reads...
  1. Internal Combustion (IC) and Nitro powered boats may be operated on the lake from 10amto 1pm Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays only. Sail boats shall have full access of the lake at all other times.
  2. IC and Nitro powered boats must not be operated at speeds in excess of 15 MPH and must not exceed a decibel noise level of 60 at full throttle at 50' from the meter on shore.
  3. All local and state laws must be observed in the interest of safety.
  4. Powered boats are to steer clear of all wildlife on the lake.
  5. No more than two IC or Nitro powered boats may be operated on the lake at any one time.
  6. IC/Nitro powered boats shall be run in a clockwise direction and remain outside of the far-east and far-west ends of the lake.
  7. Radio frequency flags must be properly displayed on antennas whenever in use.
Fine for breaking the rules - $100 minimum; escalating for multiple infractions with possible time in then county jail of up to six months.

About the yellow shaded areas on my map. The WORKING AGREEMEENT and the Club's rules are the common sense areas to go slow and exercise caution due to the potential of hitting other boats and, more importantly, injuring spectators, many of whom are small children.

If you have an accident because your were running at excessive speed in these yellow shaded areas close to shore, your NAMBA insurance will probably not cover your accident (see NAMBA's rules and their 50 foot from shore exclusionary rule). Think about that if you put a child in the hospital.

Quote:
I overheard a conversation recently and for the safety of others, I will not mention any names. but a while ago, I overheard and somewhat joined a conversation and I am curious if the SFMYC (San Francisco Model Yacht Club) owns the lake, Spreckels Lake.
In the main NO; it is a public lake open to all under the SF Recreation and Park Rules.

But in some (unofficial) ways, YES, in that:
  1. The Lake was built specifically for the Club
  2. On land donated to the Park for the Club on the condition
  3. that the Club will have access to and use of the Lake in perpetuity.
  4. The Club does help clean up The Lake and coordinate with Recreation and Parks Dept and their gardeners as to Its care; e.g. cleaning up bird and goose ourselves as well as other things.
  5. The Clubhouse was built specifically for the Club to reside in (in perpetuity) by the Federal WPA program with monies from the Club, Federal Government and with further monies raised specifically for the purpose by a City government led public subscription during the darkest days of The First Modern Great Depression.
So, there is an understandable sense of proprietorship, love and care that the Club feels toward The Lake, which is also one of the oldest facilities of its kind.

Quote:
It states sail boats could run anytime unless theres an Internal combustion boat which runs 10am to 1pm which then the sailboats need to get out.
Sailboats have use of the Lake whenever The Lake (Park) is open to the public per Rec and Parks Dept..

The SFMYC's "Open Water Policy" can be summed up as any boat, except those powered by a IC or nitro engine can use The Lake as long as the Park is open to the public after checking for frequency conflicts.

(The tradition on The Lake regarding frequency conflicts is that the holder of the frequency shall have 15 minutes of run time after being asked for the frequency except in the case of a steamboat where it will be 30 minutes due to the preparation time required for a steam boat. After which time, the boater shall relinquish the frequency to the first person who asked for it. If there is a que for the frequency, each person will have a 15 minute run time except for steamboats.)

The only type of boats restricted under Recreation and Park rules as the when they can run are Nitro/Internal Combustion boats as stated above.

The "Gentlemen's Agreements" (Basically, the rules that cover all Club members and that "The Irregulars" (the regular crew of power/gas boaters who are Lakeside regulars but who choose not to join the SFMYC) agree amongst themselves to abide by as well, have been in place at the Lake and evolved over more than 50 years for safety reasons that grew out of frequency conflict issues, accidents, some significant injuries and some insurance issues, as well as Calvin's <cvctiger> (not-so-)common sense.

Another reason is the complaints from the public that have nearly closed the Lake to boats in the past which is why Nitro/IC boats must never be unmuffled (60db at full throttle at 50' from the meter) or run on the Northern Area of the Lake. The noise issues caused by people who refused to muffle their boats are big part of why the north side of The Lake is closed to Power boats.

That is the same reason that the the current noise restrictions exist. A number of people refused to muffle their boats so in response to complaints, so Rec & Parks Dept instituted a permissible noise level of 80db @ full throttle at 100 ft back in the 80's. Some people refused to comply with that standard which was quite reasonable all things considered, so Recreation and Parks lowered the legal noise level to a much more severe 60db @ full throttle at 50 feet which is very difficult to meet. ( If you need help getting there - Talk with Julio <RACER59> He can help you muffle your IC boat.)

Originally, Rec & Parks did not limit the speed of the boats on Spreckels Lake, nor did the SFMYC. In the Eighties, in response to an accident, the insurance crisis (as I recall) and to reduce the noise levels both the Club and Recreation and Parks instituted a 25mph limit on gas boats on The Lake. Again, I am told, because of repeated violations, Rec & Parks reduced it further to to 15mph.

The "Gentlemens' Agreements" are there so we don't have Rec & Parks coming down to The Lake, blowing the whistle and yelling, "OK, that's it!!! Everybody out of the lake! Now! Permanently!"

Central Park's Conservatory Pond, a historic model boating venue with a long and noble tradition of power boating of all kinds, is now a place where now no powered boat of any kind dare tarnish its surface nor disturb its tranquil ripples lest the swabbie responsible collect a $100 fine. (Many of the locals are now spreading the myth that power boats were NEVER allowed upon Conservatory Ponds' waters.)

Play nice! Hopefully it will NEVER happen here!
Quote:
... but when I saw a family bring out a sailboat about 200 feet away from us on the right near the trees, one of the RCÚr running the boat with the red white and blue SFMYC flag on it said "hey, those sailboaters aren't allowed to run till 1pm."
Back in the "Old Days" (pre-2.4ghz binding, frequency agile, data packet radio control) when 72 mhz was a ground freq, mammoths bathed in Spreckels, Sabertooth Tigers kept the yappy purse dogs populations down and we walked 20 miles to the Clubhouse in 20 foot snowdrifts; uphill both ways..., This was mainly because of the limited number of frequencies available and due to the fact that power boats run on the south side of The Lake over near JFK Drive and Sail ran on the North Side of The Lake, coordinating frequencies became a cavebear to say the least so the Club split running times so that there was no need for folks to keep running around the lake checking frequencies or yelling about radio conflicts.

As this is really no longer absolutely necessary due to 2.4gh radios and AM/FM frequency scanners, the 'power in the morning and sail in afternoon' Club rule has slipped into disuse except in the case of Rec & Park's rules and signage regarding Nitro and IC. However, members of the public should be made aware of the fact that their radio may conflict with the control and safety of other boats and that it is an 'agreed upon' courtesy to check frequencies with others on The Lake as well as a part of Rec. and Park Dept's safety regulation to display a frequency flag/number.

It is part of the responsibility of EVERYONE WHO USES THE LAKE to help educate the public on how to run their boats in a safe manner.

Quote:
I also hear stories of SFMYC members telling other RCÚrs off... like they aren't allowed to run here.
There are times that, yeah, members go too far, and some have been disciplined for doing so. If you see it happening, grab another member and point out the issue or drop a note to the Commodore, he's there a lot of Saturdays and Sundays. If the member has overstepped the lines, he'll get his wings clipped. If I'm there, let me know - the name's on the shirt for a reason .

BUT... If I see someone creating an unsafe situation in the pits or on the water, member or not, then yeah, then I am gonna call him or her out over it. The thing that all of us, Club members and Irregulars, alike worry about is someone losing control of a boat and it egressing the Lake at speed and then hitting the crowd.
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Dec 02, 2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:52 PM
Fast Cal
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jul 2011
184 Posts
It wasn't a complaint just a clarification for the person who had a question about the rules. All in all just use common sense and be courteous of others and if unsure of how things run at this lake, just come by and observe others and feel free to ask questions then.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:53 PM
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
420 Posts
Quote:
post #1209
you know... this is why I like craig from the SFMYC. He's honest, knowledgeable, and patient enough to educate and!!!! he takes good photos to document things!

and he's made nice little pamphlets for people to take at Franciscan Hobbies!
even though I knocked them over a few times and had to pick them up... whoops...
Old Dec 01, 2011, 12:50 AM
Australia, QLD, Ashgrove
Joined Nov 2009
589 Posts
nice
alex111 is offline Find More Posts by alex111
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New scale navy boat
Old Dec 03, 2011, 05:28 PM
Joined Nov 2010
215 Posts
I'll put my two cents worth in on this as I was there on the mentioned Sunday. It was a great day to mess around with a boat day, many of us that run together where there. The "sail Boats" mentioned were down to the right of us on the point toward the east end. I had a little problem in that all of a sudden my boat started to act funny and I brought it to shore. Put it on my table and it kept acting up, like major interferance. Turned off both t&r and started to check channels, using a scanner, I found there was another radio beening used on that frequency. Apon further checking, no one in the group was on that channel, walking down with the scanner and looking at the two sail boats radios, yes, one was on the channel I had been on. No channel number/flags were displayed, only the little sticker on the back. When I tried to talk to the guy he could haved cared less. I walked away and didn't run any more. As far as I know THEY didn't come over and check frequencies with any of us. If it had been a fast boat or one out in the middle there may have been problems. The only problem I see with sail boats before 1 PM is they may not be seen by someone running a fast electric. Check, ask, see what is going on before just throwing a boat in the water. Happy messing around with boats.
CPL.FUZZ is offline Find More Posts by CPL.FUZZ
Old Dec 03, 2011, 05:39 PM
Fast Cal
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jul 2011
184 Posts
Yep common sense like I said....It has been mentioned time and time again but some people who are newbies to the area don't bother checking which I know sucks and some people can be such a--holes. As all of us common "Irregulars" know to check with everyone else IF we do not have a 2.4MHZ system.
Old Dec 03, 2011, 08:01 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPL.FUZZ View Post
The only problem I see with sail boats before 1 PM is they may not be seen by someone running a fast electric.
Sorry to hear that someone stepped on your channel and didn't even think to check and did not respond politely to you CPL.FUZZ. Re: your point above, you could easily replace "sail boats" with "slow moving scale boats" and have the same potential for problems.

It is always the resposibility of the person with the fast boat to look ahead of where it is going and to avoid collision with slower moving boats. "Stay ahead of the boat" is the operator's responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvctiger View Post
Yep common sense like I said....It has been mentioned time and time again but some people who are newbies to the area don't bother checking...
I had one incident during an event I was participating in where sombody turned on a radio while I was in the water- I was operating a slow tugboat on 75Mhz, with a barge, so the fact that it was out of control was not much of an issue... but, the conflict did do damage to the steering system and the rudder got chewed up by the prop. This was on a Sunday. By Monday, I was on 2.4Ghz.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 09:12 PM
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
420 Posts
I've given this careful consideration... and I think I'm going to be leaving RCGroups on December 30, 2011.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 09:26 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLego View Post
I've given this careful consideration... and I think I'm going to be leaving RCGroups on December 30, 2011.
???
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:18 PM
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
420 Posts
Quote:
???
I joined for mainly this thread; and its Its gotten slow... plus I hear of all the events every time i go out on Sunday to Spreckels Lake. No use coming back here to check for updates. But you could still contact me here! I'll still get the Private Messages to my email!
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:23 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
I check this thread mainly to see Craig_c's great photos of the boats on the lake!
Old Dec 05, 2011, 11:38 PM
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
420 Posts
My secret motor lifeboat revealed. Still working on it... got a few cosmetic and performance things to work on.
Last edited by MrLego; Dec 05, 2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2011, 12:20 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Going Canadian on us with the MLB? Looks nice!!!
Old Dec 06, 2011, 12:53 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,990 Posts
Gee that looks familiar.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Dec 06, 2011, 02:14 AM
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
420 Posts
Quote:
Going Canadian on us with the MLB? Looks nice!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
Gee that looks familiar.
Thanks Aerominded! I still have some work to do!

Kmot, I pulled the same screw up you did too... err!!! did you run to see if yours was still at home? haha
Last edited by MrLego; Dec 06, 2011 at 04:15 AM.
Old Dec 06, 2011, 07:18 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,990 Posts
Got magnets?
Old Dec 06, 2011, 09:44 PM
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
Got magnets?
nope... Im planning to use them to mount my main hatch down though!

Where did you get the material for your rub rail over the white stripe?
Old Dec 06, 2011, 10:09 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,990 Posts
Harbor Models has it.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 07:27 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,100 Posts
lookin good!
catchthis is offline Find More Posts by catchthis
Old Dec 07, 2011, 07:37 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,100 Posts
I cant believe your gunna leave! I love your mlb pics, they inspire me!
Old Dec 08, 2011, 04:58 PM
Fast Cal
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jul 2011
184 Posts
Mr Lego you don't have to or need to leave this forum.....I can start drama if you want to keep this more interesting for you AHAHAHAHAHH! Yes it may be slow but we still would post some stuff occasionally.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 07:53 PM
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvctiger View Post
Mr Lego you don't have to or need to leave this forum.....I can start drama if you want to keep this more interesting for you AHAHAHAHAHH! Yes it may be slow but we still would post some stuff occasionally.
no... no drama... I'll post stuff of my coast guard boat as I work on it.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:20 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
913 Posts
Gee its winter, and of course there is little action going on in the Model boat world at SFMYC.
Next year I think the club will be very active and lots of fun events for the sail and power squadrons. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:39 AM
Fast Cal
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jul 2011
184 Posts
The hardcore RC boaters will be out there at the lake in this brisk cold weather. I know a few and it includes me but not hardcore enough like Mr Lego who keeps on saying he doesn't mind the rain.....hahahaha.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:56 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2007
281 Posts
Most boaters are doing their winter building now, getting a new boat or rebuild ready to show off at the Frost Bite Regatta in February. Keep an eye on the calendar for the exact date.

Some beautiful work shows up at this event and you don't have to stand out in the cold to discuss the new builds. Sometimes very neat innovations show up to show off.

It's a great time for camaraderie, out of the cold and rain[?].

Hope we see some of you out there for the dry kickoff of the new year.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:54 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Feb 2006
901 Posts
Do not forget the 17th of Dec. Nite Run. Not too many ask for a scheduled anything at this time of year. Like Tugs said it is get the SECRET Projects finished so there is a bit of time to do a through workup prior to Contest Day. And older stuff always has items to take care of. Like my Soccer Springer is getting a Light System installed. A cabin rebuild would have been easier.
CaptLee is offline Find More Posts by CaptLee
Old Dec 16, 2011, 02:02 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,673 Posts
And a fun time was had by all:)

More to come Soon! (Now that I has my 'puter back!)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Dec 20, 2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:26 AM
Todd Fleury
United States, MI, Birmingham
Joined Jun 2011
110 Posts
Hey everyone! I know I have not been out to the lake lately. Going to have to get out there after the holidays. I am also getting a new boat built. 1/8 scale hydro U-88 degree for men boat. It will be running 10s LIPO. Will have it ready by race season.
sport 40 II is offline Find More Posts by sport 40 II
Old Dec 19, 2011, 07:01 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,134 Posts
Quote:
Are ya done yet?
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Dec 19, 2011, 07:32 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodybob View Post
Are ya done yet?
Quote:
Patient, this one is not...

However cuz, a nice guy youz iz...

Herding cats... I mean, er, boats...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Dec 19, 2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 09:23 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,196 Posts
Thanks Craig .....
Nice turnout !
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 09:39 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,134 Posts
Cool!
Old Dec 19, 2011, 04:50 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined May 2007
1,543 Posts
WOW!!

Great pictures Craig!!!

-Rich.
RICH404 is offline Find More Posts by RICH404
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:33 PM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,372 Posts
Very Nice.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:13 PM
Todd Fleury
Joined Jun 2011
110 Posts
Ok guys, boat hull change for my new project. I am having the U-1 Miss Budweiser T-4 Twin Wing boat built. Can't wait to tune it out on Spreckels.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 05:55 PM
Model trains, Rc Boats, Rc air
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
Craig c do you have any more pictures of the midwest lobster boat?
6789boat is offline Find More Posts by 6789boat
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:51 PM
Call me Mad Hatter
Joined Jun 2007
427 Posts
Wow!!!
Ford_63 is offline Find More Posts by Ford_63
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:34 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6789boat View Post
Craig c do you have any more pictures of the Midwest lobster boat?
Yes! I'm workin' on 'em... LOL Going as fast as I can. (I will post a couple extra of the Lobster Boat.)

-----------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Dec 21, 2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:43 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,673 Posts
SFMYC Holiday Parade of Lights - 17 Dec, 2011 - Gallery

Ok. I will post as I get batches done until finished, so keep checkin' back this post...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Dec 21, 2011 at 02:37 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:46 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Joined Apr 2004
7,372 Posts
Purdy boats.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:41 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
Thanks Craig c
Old Dec 21, 2011, 04:06 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,134 Posts
Great shots Craig. Nice turnout too. Thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2011, 04:54 AM
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Apr 2010
122 Posts
thanks for the pics. i was in Seattle thinking of you guys. The boats look great and it looked like a great turnout. Happy Holidays
Vspeeds is offline Find More Posts by Vspeeds
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:28 AM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,100 Posts
how is that sprayrail held onto the lobster boat?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:00 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
I used electrical tape.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 02:52 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,672 Posts
nice job of a nite time holliday float!! good job SFMYC. wish I could get more of the locals interested in doing the same kind o thing when the water isn't hard......
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:31 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Great shots Craig_C!
Old Dec 24, 2011, 02:33 AM
Hayward, CA
Joined Jan 2009
840 Posts
ACK !!! I missed the Christmas float!
Vince Hoffmann is offline Find More Posts by Vince Hoffmann
Old Dec 25, 2011, 01:50 AM
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
420 Posts
are those all the photos from the christmas parade?
Old Dec 25, 2011, 01:56 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,990 Posts
Nice job on the Christmas float parade!
Old Jan 02, 2012, 11:25 PM
Joined Nov 2010
913 Posts
It was great day for a sail at the club on Sunday. Good wind, but I was the only sailor from the club that I saw. Hello to the power squadron guys there on Sunday. Ryan
Old Jan 03, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined Feb 2006
901 Posts
Ryan Saw you over on the sailboat side, no one recognized your truck and at that distance these old eyes don't work so good. Next time wander over and say Howdy, we don't bite much. was that an IOM you were sailing? Made our round the Lake cruise and one of the Power Guys went over to the Dark Side and used his Seawind.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 02:12 AM
Joined Nov 2010
913 Posts
Capt Lee,
I was over on the power side of the lake the whole time except when I brought my Vela in and switched to my Skiffeater IOM. I was chatting with several of the power folks while sailing my vela. Could not get any closer with my truck as parking was tight when I arrived.
To bad no other rag heads were there as the sailing was pretty good.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Nov 2010
913 Posts
Any sailors or power guys gonna be at the club tomorrow? Ryan
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:43 PM
Todd Fleury
Joined Jun 2011
110 Posts
Hey everyone! I hope the lake has been good to everyone. I joined the club out in Fremont and will be racing Nationals this year. I hope to make it out there soon to tune my boats, but it looks like I won't make it out there too often. The race season is pretty booked. Once my 1/8th scale is finished, I'll be sure to bring it out since it is electric.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:36 PM
Joined Feb 2006
901 Posts
OK folks The Regatta schedule is published and out in print for the Power and Sail skippers and the first one is the FROSTBITE Regatta on Feb. 11 at 1300 hrs. in the SFMYC Clubhouse. This is a table show and has classes for just about everyone, sail, pleasure, military, commercial, etc. So come on out and show us what is new for 2012, what is in the building stage, just want to show off or just checkout the other folks stuff.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:43 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,196 Posts
Thanks !

Thanks Captain Lee !
This will be a Great year for us ...
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:46 PM
GPR
Rochester, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
552 Posts
Will there be a Wooden Boats on Parade this year and, if so, has a date been set yet?
GPR is offline Find More Posts by GPR
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:33 PM
Joined Feb 2006
901 Posts
GPR Yes it will be on for this year and I managed to get hornswoggled into being the Director. Date is set for Sept. 30th Rain or Shine< it will happen that day. Also for the Tug Skippers the TUGFEST is set for June 16th.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:23 AM
GPR
Rochester, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
552 Posts
Thanks, CaptLee. It's a long drive from here, but I'm hoping to be able to make it.
GPR is offline Find More Posts by GPR
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Jan 2012
11 Posts
Hi,
I was told to tell you forum readers theres a night run at the Golden Gate Park lake this Friday on January 27th around sunset.
ok,
BYE!
BrookiegotCookie is offline Find More Posts by BrookiegotCookie
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:02 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
Any pics yet
Old Feb 04, 2012, 11:15 AM
Capt. Jack
USA, CA, Petaluma
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6789boat View Post
Any pics yet
I posted some on the SoCoBo thread

Link here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...401457&page=10

Its at the bottom of the page.

Cheers!
Fodigo is offline Find More Posts by Fodigo
Last edited by Fodigo; Feb 04, 2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Just added the link to make it easier
Old Feb 04, 2012, 06:48 PM
Joined Jan 2009
14 Posts
Day OF Gray

What???? No day of Gray???? AWWWWWWWW
zakogreen is offline Find More Posts by zakogreen
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:44 PM
Kurt Greiner
USA, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Sep 2005
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakogreen View Post
They moved it to September 23, and are calling it something different, but is is a military regatta. I did like last year's July date a bit better, but any day you run your models is a good one!
seaphoto is offline Find More Posts by seaphoto
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:56 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaphoto View Post
They moved it to September 23, and are calling it something different, but is is a military regatta. I did like last year's July date a bit better, but any day you run your models is a good one!
This year it will be called "Fleet Day" and it will be as much, or more fun than last year! More to come.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 02:48 PM
Joined Jan 2009
14 Posts
Fleet Week

This year it will be called "Fleet Day" and it will be as much, or more fun than last year! More to come.

YAY!!!!!! I loved it last year
zakogreen is offline Find More Posts by zakogreen
Old Feb 05, 2012, 05:54 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Quote:
YAY!!!!!! I loved it last year
So did we! Looking forward to seeing you there!
Old Feb 06, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Nov 2010
215 Posts
Hi all. Looking for a kit by Midwest Models, the Tour Master #961. In the box, started, maybe finished. Thanks for any help.
CPL.FUZZ is offline Find More Posts by CPL.FUZZ
Old Feb 09, 2012, 02:18 PM
Officially so NOT the SFMYC!!
in Spreckels Lake
Joined Aug 2010
33 Posts
Jan & Feb Newsletters

The Better Late Than etc., Dept.

Jan & Feb Newsletters below...

The February newsletter also includes a complementary copy of the Sail Squadron's 2012 Regatta and Race Schedule
Come Sail Away on Spreckels Lake with us

enjoy
Spreckels Boater is offline Find More Posts by Spreckels Boater
Last edited by Spreckels Boater; Feb 09, 2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 02:58 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,196 Posts
Great year ...

Thanks for publishing Mistery Man !

Its gonna be a great year ...
Last edited by Tim B.; Feb 09, 2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 09, 2012, 03:04 PM
Officially so NOT the SFMYC!!
in Spreckels Lake
Joined Aug 2010
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
Thanks for publishing Mistery Man !
*nudge**nudge* Say no more! LOL

Quote:
Its gonna be a great year ...
That it is, that it is!
Spreckels Boater is offline Find More Posts by Spreckels Boater
Old Feb 09, 2012, 07:55 PM
floating and flying
Stockton, CA USA
Joined Jun 2005
332 Posts
I'll be there Sat. My first event since becoming a member of SFMYC last month! (I took part in the Christmas event, but had not joined yet) Can't decide what boat to bring...

I-54 racer
misfitsailor is offline Find More Posts by misfitsailor
Last edited by misfitsailor; Feb 09, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:02 PM
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Apr 2010
122 Posts
I hope to make it there tomorrow also. This would be my first meeting since joining last year.
Vspeeds is offline Find More Posts by Vspeeds
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:13 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Joined Apr 2004
7,372 Posts
Great pictures.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:45 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
Do you have pics from the frostbite?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:49 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,673 Posts
January 07,2012

Saturday, January 7th, 2012

Saturday marked the debut of Gerry's <CPL.FUZZ> "Vital Spark," a beautiful Clyde Puffer. We will be seeing more of her in the future.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Feb 28, 2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:36 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,728 Posts
That Blue Chris Craft is very interesting. Looks like a "work in progress." Which Chris craft is it? Catalina or Corvette? Looks a little stocky to be a 63' motor yacht.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:06 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,673 Posts

Noontime traffic on a Sunday afternoon.

Finally got a couple of needed parts/tools for the 'puter! I will be getting back to posting as quickly as I can review the photos. Sorry, about the delays.

------

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J_Glor View Post
That Blue Chris Craft is very interesting. Looks like a "work in progress." Which Chris craft is it? Catalina or Corvette? Looks a little stocky to be a 63' motor yacht.

As I recall, the "Lillian Rita" is the Catalina rescued from a trip to the dumpster
by Don who, as you can see, has brought back her glory days.
Click on the picture to see more of her.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Feb 28, 2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:16 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,196 Posts
This Tug...

Hi Craig...
Thanks for all the pics !
I dont recognize this Tug ...
Any info on this one ?
Thanks.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:17 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,728 Posts
Quote:
------

As I recall, the Lillian Rita is the Catalina was rescued from a trip to the dumpster by Don and, as you can see, brought back to her glory days.
Wish I had a 'dumpster' like that!!! (That face should be green with envy, not yellow) When I was young, I did recover a K & O wooden battery-powered boat from a trash can that had been heavily painted with green enamel or oil-based house paint (this was in the 50's) on the way to a school bus stop. I ran home with that treasure and made it back to the bus stop just in time.

I was able to restore it to operating condition and modified it into a free-lance Chris Craft cabin cruiser.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:22 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,673 Posts
Quote:
Hi Craig...
I dont recognize this Tug ...
Any info on this one ?
Not sure who the Owner/Skipper of the "Aquarius" is, but I think it might be Julio <Racer59>. Other than that I don't have any information on her.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:35 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,196 Posts
Thanks ... a very nice Tug !
maybe we will see more of her this summer.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:42 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,673 Posts
By the way guys, here is a photo gallery thread of a wowser of a event put on by the guys of the Burnaby (British Columbia) Association of Marine Modelers (BAMM). Check it out!! They can really "walk that walk!"

RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:37 AM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,443 Posts
Help

When My wife and I were in SF we took a bike ride along the pier (Fishermans wharf.) Around pier 17 there was a pilot boat docked. When I looked at the big picture, I thought to myself how much the pilot boat looked like the robbe dusseldorf. Anyway, The Dusseldorf is a bit longer but I am in Iowa who is going to care.(I had bought a Robbe dusseldorf for $100.00 that was missing lots of parts and needed a good rehab) I decided to make the dusseldorf into an SF pilot boat. I have been watching the exploritorium construction cam trying to get info, (pictures) on the build. Anyway, after a few #25's I did some sketches of what I saw better than a year ago. Is there anyone that would be interested in taking a few pictures of it for me. Below are pictures of where I am along with my sketch. I know I still have a long way to go but I have searched the web for pictures but most dont show enough detail. By the way the XM recievers are for weighting the deck down LOL Im not sure whats wrong with my camera but the pictures SXXX. The balsa blocks under the XM recievers have not been cut to size yet, and I have a zodiac for the rear of the boat.
LMK Bob
Robert Pulse is online now Find More Posts by Robert Pulse
Last edited by Robert Pulse; Mar 02, 2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 01:58 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,673 Posts
Hey Robert....

Will these help?? Shot them during Fleet Week, Saturday, October 8, 2011.

A 'False 3D' image from two images shot less than a second apart creating a false 3D effect
because of the change in the position of the boat.

Look at from about half an arms length, cross your eyes and merge into a third
image between the two originals. A bit hard on the eyes but it works!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Mar 02, 2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:25 AM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,443 Posts
Pictures

Perfect! Thanks
Robert Pulse is online now Find More Posts by Robert Pulse
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:06 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,673 Posts
reserved
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:11 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,196 Posts
Great summer...

Thanks Mister !
Its gonna be a Great summer....
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:15 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,196 Posts
Chicken !

BobSF bet me dinner I didn't have the guts to set us down on the the lake ...
he won