HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2011, 10:21 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vspeeds View Post
Other than Sundays are there any other days the scale guys come out to play? I'm just finishing up my first build, the Model Slipway Wyeforce tug.
Electric and Stream can run on the Lake at anytime, but generally, you may find the Irregular scale guys out there on Monday, Wednesday or Fridays. Otherwise they share the pit area with the big go-fastie gas boats. The only days that you'll find Power Squadron members running, guaranteed, are the posted contest days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghappy View Post
Man that course looks like it took awhile to set up....I would love to drag my buoy snagger line though there and see how many I could grab in one pass...
Play nice Hog, or we'll send one of the Lake's "Cthuthlu Carp" east for a visit Ask Aero, he was dragging some model hooks from his fishing boat, Summer Winds, IIRC, one time... something came up from the depths and almost 'caught' the boat.

craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; May 04, 2011 at 12:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2011, 01:32 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Feb 2006
842 Posts
Hog The only problem to your buoy dragging is that each gate is two buoys with 20 oz. anchors and a spacer bar. My Springer cannot move one let alone two. The dingy is the only game in town. When it is time to pick them up we are always looking for some help, but if you cannot pull them in, plan on lots of razzing from the peanut gallery. Aero and myself are working on a trolling motor for the dingy, so the peanut gallery comments on our rowing skills will be lessened.
CaptLee is offline Find More Posts by CaptLee
Old May 04, 2011, 06:13 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptLee View Post
Aero and myself are working on a trolling motor for the dingy, so the peanut gallery comments on our rowing skills will be lessened.
Un-hunh

yep yep yep...
'zactly!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; May 04, 2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old May 04, 2011, 08:17 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
Un-hunh
The speed that the skiff is going in the first pic is all due "Sea Horse" which has the skiff in tow. The oar was over the side to give the skiff some directional stability only! "Sea Horse" is based on a Mr. Darby hull... I'd say it has a fair amount of power!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old May 04, 2011, 10:24 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,620 Posts
Oh, the weather today at the Lake was to die for!!!!

80 degrees (F), very little wind an nary a cloud!!

Forecast for Saturday: Mid 60s and partially sunny, so figure maybe a bit of early morning overcast(onshore fog) that'll burn off about mid-day. Looking like it'll be a good one!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; May 04, 2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old May 05, 2011, 01:16 AM
Kurt Greiner
USA, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Sep 2005
489 Posts
Hi Craig,

Do you know anything about the Day of Gray regatta scheduled for July 3? I can spread the word through my site, Warship Models Underway, but just wanted to check to make sure it is still on, since I cannot find much about it so far.

Kurt
seaphoto is offline Find More Posts by seaphoto
Old May 05, 2011, 10:25 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaphoto View Post
Do you know anything about the Day of Gray regatta scheduled for July 3?
Hi Kurt.
Yep, it is still on, the schedule has not changed. More than that, I will let Aero, our Power Squadron Officer, discuss.
Quote:
I can spread the word through my site, Warship Models Underway, but just wanted to check to make sure it is still on, since I cannot find much about it so far.
Way COOL! Thank you very much! I will get to work on the poster ASAP then and get a copy over to you!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; May 06, 2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old May 05, 2011, 03:02 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Feb 2006
842 Posts
Kurt Just a bit early for ad for Day of Gray, Be most happy for the word to get out. Western warship is planning also. See you there, will bring a rescue tug as no Gray Stuff in my fleet at the moment. Come one, Come ALL!!!!!!!!!
CaptLee is offline Find More Posts by CaptLee
Old May 05, 2011, 05:07 PM
Kurt Greiner
USA, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Sep 2005
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptLee View Post
Kurt Just a bit early for ad for Day of Gray, Be most happy for the word to get out. Western warship is planning also. See you there, will bring a rescue tug as no Gray Stuff in my fleet at the moment. Come one, Come ALL!!!!!!!!!
Hi Lee!,

I hope you are well. If you would like people to attend from out of the area, we need to get the word out at least a couple of months ahead of time, especially for a first time event. We don't need a formal flyer or anything, just the bare details for postings on various websites.

Kurt
seaphoto is offline Find More Posts by seaphoto
Old May 05, 2011, 05:36 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,382 Posts
Quote:
We don't need a formal flyer or anything, just the bare details for postings on various websites.
The SFMYC "Day of Gray" will be on Sunday, July 3rd at Spreckels Lake in SF starting at 0930.

The event will be a "mission themed" navigation course designed for military vessels with consideration given to the handling characteristics of ships used in the WWCC, for example. (I know they don't handle like small tugs! )

The mission will not involve 'live fire' so there will be no need to bring or to fear flying BB's.

Details of the mission will not be disclosed until the day of the event to keep the enemy off guard.

All model military vessels of any scale are welcomed to participate.

Refreshments will be provided.

Hope to see you there.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Last edited by Aerominded; May 05, 2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old May 05, 2011, 06:07 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,037 Posts
And I was going to deploy my Dambuster ...
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old May 05, 2011, 11:27 PM
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Apr 2010
120 Posts
Thanks for the info about the scale guys at the lake. Tim B, I have a few pics still on the camera. Haven,t uploaded them in the computer yet.
Vspeeds is offline Find More Posts by Vspeeds
Old May 06, 2011, 07:49 PM
Officially so NOT the SFMYC!!
in Spreckels Lake
Joined Aug 2010
33 Posts
NEWSLETTER: May 2011 - Hot off the virtual press!

May 2011 Newsletter - The virtual ink's still wet & gooey!!

Back issues are available here

Tomorrow Morning, Bright & Early
The Team Slalom Event!!!

Saturday, May 7th | 09:30hrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribbed from the newsletter...
Our second event of the season, “Team Slalom” will be on Saturday, May 7th and will begin at 9:30. As the name implies, this is a team event where teams of two people run two boats simultaneously through a slalom course while keeping the boats abeam one another the entire time. Success in this event will depend on good
communication between skippers ensuring that turns are coordinated, speed is properly adjusted and of course, making sure to stay ahead of the boats so that adequate room is left for mark roundings! If the overlap between boats is broken, the team must start over again. There will be a time limit for each team to complete the course.
Should be a lot of fun!
--------------

May Event Schedule -

May 01 Sunday 13:00 36R class, race 2
May 07 Saturday 09:30 Team Slalom
May 07 Saturday 13:00 X class, Tofte Cup
May 10 Tuesday 13:00 ODOM class, race 3
May 12 Thursday 13:00 RX class, race 3
May 14 Saturday 09:30 Board of Directors Meeting
May 14 Saturday 11:00 General Membership Meeting
May 14 Saturday 13:00 Santa Barbara class, race 3
May 14 Saturday 14:00 Infinity 54 class, race 3
May 21 Saturday 13:00 M class, race 3
May 22 Sunday 13:00 Classic X, race3

Spreckels Boater is offline Find More Posts by Spreckels Boater
Last edited by Spreckels Boater; May 06, 2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old May 06, 2011, 09:05 PM
Officially so NOT the SFMYC!!
in Spreckels Lake
Joined Aug 2010
33 Posts
ROV Yacht Builder to be at May Meeting.

John Lampe, builder of the RX class ROV yacht, “Sea Witch,” that made such a splash at Wooden Boats on Parade 2010 will be returning with his yacht for a special presentation on her and the special technology used in her construction and instrumentation during the May meeting.

In addition to the Witch’s long range radio control systems which Mr. Lampe, a licensed ham radio operator, said can function at a distance of “tens of miles,“ her onboard systems include a real-time, first person point-of-view (FPoV) camera, multiple channels of real time telemetry overlaid onto the video feed, data recorders, Wi-Fi transceiver, and GPS navigation.

Mr. Lampe recently told Commodore Heacock that the boat, as currently configured, could be sailed on Spreckels Lake through our competition course with perfect accuracy in real time by a remote skipper in New York or London.

John Lampe (far right) and the “Sea Witch” at Wooden Boats on Parade
Spreckels Boater is offline Find More Posts by Spreckels Boater
Last edited by Spreckels Boater; May 06, 2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old May 06, 2011, 09:18 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,037 Posts
Wow !

Lets hope this doesnt fall into the wrong hands .....
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.