HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:57 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Now here is a very cool way to enjoy a fast gas boat. I would call this, Let Your Horses Run Free. I think you will enjoy this. This is exactly what I hope to be doing with my ship. I will have lots of room on an open lake and sail with a chase boat for videos. If you ever get to run like this you would never just run in tight circles again.

Gas Boat, MHZ Hunter (6 min 14 sec)
Pond Sailer is offline Find More Posts by Pond Sailer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:54 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,226 Posts
Quote:
Now here is a very cool way to enjoy a fast gas boat. I would call this, Let Your Horses Run Free. I think you will enjoy this. This is exactly what I hope to be doing with my ship. I will have lots of room on an open lake and sail with a chase boat for videos. If you ever get to run like this you would never just run in tight circles again.
Do be sure that your boat's pilot has "blinders", or that the model is run back from the
person steering the "chase" boat. A group making such a run in the UK ran over a kayaker.

The kayaker saw them coming, and started yelling and waving, but no one was looking ahead.
Apparently they were all watching the model boat running along side.

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/Model-b...ail/story.html

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:28 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Apr 2012
602 Posts
Polar bear time!

Guys,
Thanks for all the RSVPs....nothing is required of you here. This is just a last minute update for Tuesday's weather forecast-SUNNY 57* wind 7NE

I hope you enjoyed the photographic art work for the POLAR BEAR notices throughout this process. Over the years, I've experimented with superimposing pictures to create new images. The process is made vastly easier with the MAC and the word processor-pages. Please enjoy the imbedded imagaes. Creating a visual sub-text is enjoyable while trying to send a message here to fellow skippers-Thanks for looking.

"FIRE (RESCUE)" and 443 will be on the lake for New Year's Day'a power-walk-around & afternoon beer-can events. Hope we have a nice turnout kicking 2013 off to a good start.

Cheers! Onward<
Jerry Turney
(aka Je-wopT) enthusiast without portfolio
wyldrydes2 is offline Find More Posts by wyldrydes2
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Jan 01, 2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: added detail
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:30 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
597 Posts
Hi Jerry, fun event at the lake today. I didn't see any iceburgs, but sure felt like they were around. Good to see everyone having fun....that is what it is all about. Bob SF
Bob SF is offline Find More Posts by Bob SF
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:43 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
The Buoys seem to be working (or at least absorbing some of the impact....) Please play safe & slow down a bit 'round the buoys

Plenty more where these came from....
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Jan 03, 2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:06 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki View Post
Do be sure that your boat's pilot has "blinders", or that the model is run back from the
person steering the "chase" boat. A group making such a run in the UK ran over a kayaker.

The kayaker saw them coming, and started yelling and waving, but no one was looking ahead.
Apparently they were all watching the model boat running along side.

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/Model-b...ail/story.html

That careless driver got only a ~$5000 slap on the wrist for devastating a kayaker. Can you imagine the dollar figure if this happened in the USA? Millions..........
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:10 PM
BabyBootLegger
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
There will be a time in the future when all boats will require registration with the park or club. This would weed out the high-speed boats and may also create more liability on the boat owners. Something needs to be implemented soon, before an innocent bystander is seriously injured.
sunworksco is offline Find More Posts by sunworksco
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:13 PM
USA, CA, Belmont
Joined Aug 2007
11 Posts
Jan 1 2013 power boat outting. Check out
Sprekels Jan 1 2013 (6 min 31 sec)
or
search Youtube "haroldsbeaver"
cannonman is online now Find More Posts by cannonman
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:20 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,101 Posts
Great video, cannonman!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:00 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
Sunday, December 30, 2012

T'was the Sunday after Christmas....
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Jan 02, 2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:13 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,226 Posts
Interesting,... the DKM Lutzow looks odd, like it needs a larger
bridge structure, and maybe some bridge wings.

Neat little "Rover".

Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:49 PM
Daly City, CA
Joined Mar 2004
46 Posts
Lutzow needs a new superstructure. I've just been keeping it together with CA and spackle while trying to finish Bismarck.

Rob

Quote:
Interesting,... the DKM Lutzow looks odd, like it needs a larger
bridge structure, and maybe some bridge wings.

Neat little "Rover".

rwood is offline Find More Posts by rwood
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:38 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
Great video, cannonman!
Concur yup yup yup
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:27 PM
Joined Nov 2010
198 Posts
Harold. HAPPY NEW YEAR to all. Great video of the lake and especially since my Clyde Puffer is in it. Cheers.
CPL.FUZZ is offline Find More Posts by CPL.FUZZ
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:34 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
597 Posts
Thanks to Harold, Craig, and Rob for the great pics. Bob SF
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:20 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
Newsletter for January 2013

Newsletter for January 2013
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:54 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,658 Posts
Excellent !
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:42 AM
Joined Apr 2012
602 Posts
New year's day...yeh!

Guys,
Great time New Year's day! It was cold enough to be a Polar Bear event thats for sure.

Thanks cannonman for the great video...Thanks to everyone who came out on the 1st. What a heck of a way to start 2013. And, thanks to Gary for donuts...

"FIRE" needs a gopro inside looking out so we can watch it on split screen...What hoot!

Jerry
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:54 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,613 Posts
Dumas should get the rights to that "Razzmatazz" photo. It would sell a few Barrelback kits! Has ME inspired!

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:28 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,441 Posts
Every year at Lake Cour'd'laine (sp?) they have a wooden boat festival that attracts some gorgeous boats (they do a different manufacturer each year) and PBS had done a couple of shows about them. I WANT to go gorgeous boats and great craftsmanship.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:43 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
New Year's Day Walk About and Beer Can Sail Challange.

Well, since there are so many great shots of the morning power boaters doing their thing, I'll mainly post stuff from the afternoon after the sailors hit the water. the year looks to be off to a great, though chilly, start!! (The Wind know as the Arctic Express has settled in for a few day stay. Brrrrrr.)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Jan 03, 2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:00 PM
Joined Apr 2012
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J_Glor View Post
Dumas should get the rights to that "Razzmatazz" photo. It would sell a few Barrelback kits! Has ME inspired!

Pete G.
Thanks Pete. Dumas...bring it on! (:
I'll put a before picture up soon. Trailing this from TN to CA was an event. CHP asked what it was and to get it off the hwy...she came a long way in more ways than one.
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Jan 03, 2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:00 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,277 Posts
Great pictures Craig.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:53 AM
Model trains, Rc Boats, Rc air
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
What boat is in picture 6 and 8?
6789boat is offline Find More Posts by 6789boat
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:30 PM
Joined Sep 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptLee View Post
moparty 50 yds is 150 feet in my figures and that is all of the protected area total. If you are not happy with the working area and rules set up by the Park and Rec go somewhere else to do your thing. The rest of us would appreciate it very much.
While I may have only two posts,I have been going to spreckles for years,and you would know me by face, as for the trolling, Craig WE WILL have words,when we meet up,Capt. Lee, this is still a public lake,and i'll go where I want, who the hell do you people think you are? just because you think by acting on P&R guidelines written in the 90"s you have the right to lay down bouys wherever it suits you ! and as for opening the can of worms with P&R, that is the last thing we all want to do,but by those exercising what they think is there rights, they are tramping on the rights of others, I agree that using this lake is a privelidge,and not a right,and those that abuse the rules should be reprimanded in some way,there is plenty of lake to divy up into parcels for the diverse class of boats that run, but youz guyz are only thinking for yourselves,which is the point I wanted to make,you layed the bouys down into an area so cramped that it is an accident waiting to happen, I'll be happy to meet with you guys and further discuss this,but lay-off the personal attacks or there will be more than just words to discuss.
mopartybob is offline Find More Posts by mopartybob
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:05 PM
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Please, I would like to meet you. I am sure you talk in a much nicer tone than you type. I have that problem also, I sometimes forget to edit my own emails knowing that they are going public. As a small boater I feel a bit more safe in the kiddy pool area. When I last ran my boat I saw the speed guys doing a nice job running out in the open. It really made for a friendlier lake with over 14 boats in the water. So I say anything that lets more guys use the public lake looks like its working to me. I am the bald guy with a beard, most of the time with a hat so the bald thing might be hard to see. My name is Gary, Just say Hello and we can talk. I like the folks at the lake.

Take Care

Gary
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:30 PM
Model trains, Rc Boats, Rc air
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
Hey Guys,
D&J Hobbies is moving and is having a 20-80% sale! Coupon expires 1/13/12 and details in this link
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....kvvh9yqjNd8%3D
6789boat is offline Find More Posts by 6789boat
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:48 PM
Joined Sep 2012
4 Posts
THANKS Gary, I'm sure we have met before with my son (Zach) please everyone,excuse my rudeness,as Gary pointed out,but it was pointed out to those that i'm sure I've met before..but never said anything to me,or any of the "other gassers" for input,about placing bouys in the water??? Yes, I am out there that often,and We are a great bunch of boaters out there that try to keep it flowing, with courtesy and respect towards each other while we operate within the allotted time frame that WE have.,..which is'nt much 4hrs. Sat Tues. Thurs.. but when it comes to SAFETY for all of us,I will be rude in pointing out "errors" in judgement,I'm ex-military,what can I say??? Thanks again Gary,looking to see you again. Robert
mopartybob is offline Find More Posts by mopartybob
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:49 PM
Joined Apr 2012
602 Posts
fast-slow-big-smal-expensive-cheap getting along

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopartybob View Post
lay-off the personal attacks or there will be more than just words to discuss.
This tone sounds over the top and reminds me of Nevada's Sharon Engel and her "Second Amendment solution" Lighten up, please.

Tuesday, New Year's Day we had fast, slow, big, cheap, expensive, scale boats plus one cute little kid with a string tied to a stick for him to tow his "boat"around the lake. We had 6-7 scale boats in the protected area.

The buoys created the needed barrier and works. Fasties can, when needed, launch with a toss without the danger of slamming into a slow puffer. The layout looks nice and it works. Here's a shout-out to Craig for the hardwork at trying to find a middle ground taking into consideration the needs of club & irregulars. Attaboy!

Fasties flew around without incident. A large crowd watched puffers and screamers all having a good time with their kids wide-eyed looking on no doubt dreaming of the day they can join in the fun.

Who's got it better than that?.....Nobody!

"Can't we all just get along?" R. King, RIP Just sayin'
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:52 PM
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Here is my short video of the day. I was testing my phone video for YouTube quality to see if was doable. It's no Nikon, but it worked.

January 1, 2013 10:52 AM (0 min 24 sec)

G
Last edited by Pond Sailer; Jan 06, 2013 at 01:14 AM.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:13 PM
Joined Nov 2010
198 Posts
Garry. Back on post #2227 you describe yourself, bald guy, beard, hat most of the time!!! Hey that sounds like me TOO!! I hope no one comes looking for my stern....The cone zone is for all of us, it may take a little longer for some to get used to it. As on the first run of the year it all worked out. See ya all out messing around in boats.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:24 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,658 Posts
Sounds like a good combo of safety And fun....

Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:11 PM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
Am I missing something? I thought there was a 15 mph speed limit on Spreckles Lake.
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:25 AM
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
CPL.FUZZ, LmAo, I didn't think you were around this weekend reading forums and that's why I used your description on here. I don't have the donuts to describe myself. If someone was to come after me the Only thing I could do is jump in the water. Good thing its only four feet deep. I could walk over to the other side.

G
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:50 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2007
262 Posts
How well do you tread murky green water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond Sailer View Post
the Only thing I could do is jump in the water. Good thing its only four feet deep. I could walk over to the other side.

G

Hey Gary, better plan your route across the lake carefully. Once when it was drained, the deep spot was estimated at 14 ft.

How well do you tread murky green water?

Just be careful out there, the troglodytes should follow the little guy with the stick and the string and move up to speeds they can handle.

The club isn't responsible for the idiotic shenanigans of a few, but anything that can be done to forestall any destructive accidents is the very least we can do.

Happy sailing, see you out there, hopefully unscathed and dry.
tugs is offline Find More Posts by tugs
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:58 PM
Joined Apr 2012
602 Posts
SATURDAY AT THE (beer-can) RACES

Guys,
Here we go with off-season unofficial "beer-can"* race #4. We had ten boats for #3. Lets see if we can get 11 on the lake for the 4th (of 5) off-season races. And, New Year's Day we had 5 boats at one point. Its all good. More is more better. Ha!

NOAA FOR SATURDAY: partly cloudy & cold 48* mid-day wind 2-5 NNE
[

then, 49ers v Packers 5pm (:

Onward. (:
Jp-wopT aka Jerry (promotor without portfolio)

*(beer-can race-unsanctioned, no forms, no fees, no food, nothing but fun)
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Jan 11, 2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: add data
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:56 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD RC Boater View Post
Am I missing something? I thought there was a 15 mph speed limit on Spreckels Lake.
The most pertinent San Francisco Recreation & Parks Department rules for all gas and nitro I/C boats can be paraphrased as -
  1. 15 MPH is the absolute maximum legal speed for any I/C and nitro boat (RES. NO 15818) (Sign South Shore)
  2. A maximum volume of 60 decibels measured on a full throttle pass at a distance of 50 feet. (RES. NO 15818) (Sign South Shore)
  3. ALL nitro and I/C powered boats must be equipped with working mufflers. (RES. NO 15818)
  4. Permitted hours: Tues., Thurs., and Sat., 10:00 hrs to 13:00 hrs. (RES. NO 15818) (Sign South Shore)
  5. Only TWO I/C powered boats may be on the water at any one time.. (RES. NO 15818) (Sign South Shore)
  6. I/C powered boats must orbit in a generally counterclockwise direction.. (RES. NO 15818) (Sign South Shore)
  7. Gas (I/C) and Nitro boats must stay out of the following areas as restricted by Rec and Park
    1. the entire north side of the Lake (Sign North Shore)
    2. the entire east end of the Lake (RES. NO 15818) (Sign South Shore)
    3. the entire west end of the Lake (RES. NO 15818) (Sign South Shore)
    4. the area referred to in Resolution 15818 as the "electric and steamboat operating area;" now cordoned with buoys. (RES. NO 15818)

These are not up for debate, discussion, negotiation or having "words," they are San Francisco Recreation and Parks Commission mandates, Resolution 15818, enacted 20 September 1990 and have the force of law. They are not "guidelines." They have been the law for the past 22 years.
Break them and you will be fined $100 for each violation, and / or be arrested. The Club has to abide by them too.

The Rec and Park rules mandate MUFFLERS - Not tuned pipes.

The speed and noise limits nor the restrictions regarding the cordoned area do not, per Red & Park rules, apply to electric or steam powered boats.

However

The Club requests that for reasons of everyone's' safety and accident prevention, electric speed boats capable of more than 10 miles-per-hour follow the same run-area rules as gas or I/C powerboats when running at speeds in excess of 10 miles-per-hour and not to exceed 'walking' speed within the buoy cordoned areas.

The Clubs asks all speed boats, of whatever powerplant type, vacate the Lake between the hours of 13:00 to 16:30 daily so as not to endanger the sailboats. You may run from 16:30 until you feel it unsafe to run or the Park closes for the evening.

The Club also asks that power boats outside the restricted area, refrain from gong faster than 10 MPH within 50 feet from the Lake edge to conform to the safety regulations and insurance rules of the major national model power boating organizations, i.e. NAMBA, IMPBA etc.

The Club also asks that all power boaters with models capable of exceeding 10 MPH carry insurance to cover any accidents.

The Club asks that all amphibious flyers at the Lake be members of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) and carry AMA Liability Insurance in addition to personal liability insurance..

The Club asks, for safety reasons and to comply with AMA safety regulations and insurance rules, all amphibious aircraft in flight remain at least 75 feet from shore, land no closer than 50 feet from shore with a path parallel to the shore and then taxi to shore.

- - - - - -

When the Recreation and Park rules, Res 15818, the signs on the north and south shores, were handed down from upon high, they came with a caveat, I am told by people who were there at the time - make them work or else! The 'or else' was, as far as I have been informed, closing the lake to R/C and powered watercraft.

There is a PDF copy of the text of the Rec & Parks Commission Resolution 15818 below....

Oh, and no, the 60 decibel noise limit in the resolution is NOT a typo - 60 decibels is less than the volume of a conversation in a quiet setting such as a library or quiet restaurant. Any Gas or I/C motor generating a sound level in excess of 60 db @ 50 feet at full throttle is illegal on Spreckels Lake.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Jan 27, 2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:34 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
The recent rains have raised the level of the Lake. When I was out there today, it was about 3/8 inch from overflowing the pit area.

Fast boats are much more likely to jump the edge of the Lake when the water is this high. Please run you boats safely and be careful out there.

Also, Rec and Park is working on the irrigation / watering valves on the north side of the Lake and has excavated two four-foot-square areas adjoining the pathway there. Watch your footing sailors.

Also: Someone dropped a four cell AA battery pack over on the north side of the lake - I left it in the Clubhouse.

(Thanks Gary, the local bats are pretty fast too, but I don't worry bout 'em - collision avoidance radar)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Jan 08, 2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:39 AM
Joined Apr 2012
602 Posts
attaboy!

Thanks Craig for the tone, clarity and history. Nice work.

And......its "beer-can #4" time Saturday. The SB beer-can off-season mock race series is an informal set of races following our membership meetings. Beer-can racing is unsanctioned, no forms, no fees, no food and nothing but fun. While we encourage SBs to prep off-season for September's AMYA-SFMYC-NAC-SBOD, I-54s, Wheelers, other boats-large & small-are encouraged to join in the mock races. Its a big lake and there's room for everyone.

NOAA FOR SATURDAY: partly cloudy & cold 48* mid-day wind 2-5 NNE
[

CU on the H20!
Jerry, promotor without portfolio
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Jan 11, 2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:55 AM
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Jerry, do you have an extra five cell AA battery pack. I have not replaced mine yet. I sent away for a few but don't know if ill have them in time. that's why I had to pull out of lake last time, battery had a memory lock charge and faded early. Hope to be lakeside.

G
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:06 PM
Joined Nov 2010
876 Posts
Gary,
PM me, I might be able to help you. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:51 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
Club Meeting tomorrow - be there or be square
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Jan 11, 2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:58 PM
Joined Apr 2012
602 Posts
mock racing The beer-can #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
Cluub Meeting tomorrow - be there or be square
Cold beer-can, 48* 2-5 mph , mock race #4 to follow meeting...charge BATs
CU on H²O after meeting!
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Jan 11, 2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:57 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldrydes2 View Post
Cold beer-can, 48* 2-5 mph , mock race #4 to follow meeting...charge BATs
CU on H²O after meeting!
So the challenge is to convert a beer, or soda can into a boat and race it?
Are they to be sailboats, or is there a powered class?
What would be the limits on beer can racing?

Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:50 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
Kegs, Umi, kegs!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:48 PM
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
A very nice day even with light winds. got a lot of runs in and it seemed like all the captains were having fun.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:16 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,277 Posts
Very nice.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:30 PM
Joined Apr 2012
602 Posts
beyond limits

Quote:
So the challenge is to convert a beer, or soda can into a boat and race it?
Are they to be sailboats, or is there a powered class?
What would be the limits on beer can racing?

beer-can racing can be whatever you want it to be. By definition, a beer-can race is informal, unsanctioned and could occur when 2 or 10 boats (power/sail/free/RC) happen to be near each other. It is whatever you want it to be-by informal agreement.

I could imagine tug boats challenging Santa Barbaras Saturday to a beer-can race and the tug would win in that wind. Ha!

First and foremost, lets get more boats out on the H²O for fun-mock racing or otherwise. More is more better!!! Just sayin'
JT
occasional beer-can race promotor without portfolio

ps beer-cans into boats...cool idea...maybe it starts with a one design and morphs into a all cans large and small perhaps hooter's cans!?. Just sayin'
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
602 Posts
Nice race guys!

Lots of skippers & boats turned out for beer-can #4. Thanks-one-n-all!
Fortunately it wasn't as cold as forecast (nor as windy-darn). But, nice turnout.

The last beer-can race of the off-season will be Sat. Feb 16 1-3 following the membership meeting. The Feb meets is moved from the 2nd to 3rd Sat in support of the Petaluma Hobby Show.

The author here grew up boating on the Petaluma River and supports everything RC in Petaluma. If you're not familiar with Petaluma (the River or Airport), remember the Petaluma Airport's 29er Diner is a pilots favorite, year-after-year. Lots of nostalgia on the diner's walls from back-n-the-day!

Petaluma boating-flying-hot rods...whos got it better than that........noooooooooooo body!
wyldrydes rule!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:14 PM
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Wbop

found some old pictures of a not so old Wooden Boats on Parade event a few years ago. Want to see them?

Brownie Photos of Wooden Boats on Parade (4 min 18 sec)

G
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:38 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,407 Posts
Nice Pictures

Where are all those boats now? Are they still showing up at the lake?
Just wondering.
Bob
Robert Pulse is online now Find More Posts by Robert Pulse
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:15 PM
RC Flying;Lego Contraption Guy
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Pulse View Post
Where are all those boats now? Are they still showing up at the lake?
Just wondering.
Bob
I can say theyre not at the lake on the Sundays im there...
MrLego is offline Find More Posts by MrLego
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:59 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
A number of them show up on an irregular basis, usually for a major Club regatta...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:05 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
Upcoming Regattas & Power Events for February

While we hammer out the details of the upcoming season, here's what's coming in February. (January, we take the month off )

February 9 – Petaluma Hobby Expo 2013 (Saturday)

The International Plastic Modeler's Society of Santa Rosa will be putting on its annual Hobby Expo at the Petaluma Community Center on Saturday, February 9th and a number of SFMYC members are planning to again host a table at this growing event which Vice Commodore Robert Heacock says has a gate of about eight thousand visitors. To accommodate what appears to be a large Club contingent who plans to show the bergie (and their models) at this event, the monthly meetings are delayed one week until 16 February.

For more details contact Vice Commodore Robert Heacock via the SFMYC website and check out the Hobby Expo’s website:

February 16 – Frostbite Regatta (Saturday)

The Frostbite regatta will be held Saturday, 16 February in the Clubhouse after the general meeting starting about 12:30hrs.

The Frostbite, a traditional Club, ‘pre-season’ is a static display event held in the Clubhouse to give members an opportunity to show off what they have been up to over the off-season. Everything is welcome: a new model, the refurbishment of a classic or whatever thing nautical you would like to share with your fellow members. Table space is available but limited so if you supply your own table, it will be appreciated.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:41 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
Here's the TENTATIVE schedule for the San Francisco Model Yacht Club POWER SQUADRON. (Sail is a whole different kettle o'fish)
Any Comments, criticisms, proposals, alternative proposals... PM me.
(Items in blue are events that the club may participate in but are not organized or sponsored by the club.)

February 9 – Petaluma Hobby Expo 2013 (Saturday)
February 16 – Frostbite Regatta (Saturday) (See above)

March 9 – SEASON OPENING DAY (Saturday) - The RagTop / StinkPot Regatta

April 14 – Titanic Rescue (Sunday)

May 16-19 – Maker Faire
May 18 – Pacifica / Terra Nova H.S. Hobby & Tech Fair (??)

Cancelled / moved - June 9 – Tug Fest (Sunday) Regional

Cancelled/Lake closure - July 4th / J4 Weekend - ?? Open Pick-Up/Picnic informal pickup regatta.
Cancelled/Lake closure - July 21 - Predicted Log Regatta (Sunday)

Rescheduled/Lake closure - August 16 or 17 – The Steam UP (Saturday) Regional

Rained Out! - Rescheduled - September 21 - Spreckels Steam-Up
Rescheduled - September 22 – The Fishing Boat Gambler Regatta

October 12 – Fleet Week(end) – (Sunday) Western Warship Combat Club

October 16 – Howlin' Full Moon (Wednesday) Night Run - The Irregulars

October 19 - Fishing Boat Gambler Regatta

November 10 – Navigator Regatta (Sunday)

December 21 – Holiday Parade of Lights (Sunday)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Oct 21, 2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:18 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,658 Posts
Gonna be a Great year !
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:27 PM
Joined Apr 2012
602 Posts
Sail Day Alert!

(Surf's) LAKE'S UP!
Several of us plan to beer-can race Thursday, Jan 17th, noon-2. Come on down! If it floats, splash it.

CU on the H²O
JT
occasional promotor
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:14 AM
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
by the looks of your poster I will have to be there to see this for myself. walking on water while claiming to sail a boat, I can't miss that. noon it is then. ill bring the wine
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:57 PM
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Its a great day Right Now. JT, your messages were heard. 13 sailboats came on your call for action. One of those boats even being a freesailor. This is a perfect day with good winds to make for good racing.

G
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:52 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,407 Posts
sailing

I'm jealous! Our lakes are hard as a rock (Frozen)
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:54 PM
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Frozen Lakes, that can be fun. make a sailboat with blades. you would be fast and awesome all at the same time.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:22 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,407 Posts
Ice boating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond Sailer View Post
Frozen Lakes, that can be fun. make a sailboat with blades. you would be fast and awesome all at the same time.
Oh ya and FREEZE MY Azz Off No thanks
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:32 PM
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Fun day at the lake. A video of the race needs to be posted. Here's one for you.

Beer Can Race. 1/17/13

Beer Can Race 1/17/13 by Magisto (1 min 18 sec)

G

Last edited by Pond Sailer; Jan 17, 2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:52 PM
Joined Nov 2010
198 Posts
Robert. I have a icebreaker tug and no frozen stuff to break.....what does freeze melts quick and not worth playing in. I'm about 1/4 mile from the Pacific Ocean here below SF.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:00 PM
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
October 26 or 27 – SPOOKTACULAR (Sunday) Parade of Lights?

You guys are hosting your own Halloween night run now?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:22 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLego View Post
You guys are hosting your own Halloween night run now?
How's about more like setting aside a day when we (Club, Irregulars and whomever shows up) can all have a Spooky good ol' time....

I'm not trying to take the Irregular's run over.... more a case of the more the merrier.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:10 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
Saturday, 19 January 2013

Nice day on the Lake today, quiet, sunny but cold and windy; not quite the Arctic Express, but working on it. Surf and the breakers down at the beach were way up and I hear they were competing down at Maverick. I imagine that the waves were probably monsters today. Water was high at the Lake as well, sloshing over the edge with a Northeasterly wind behind it.

Had a few of the regular folk out, Club and Irregulars alike. A couple of the big gas boats were out as well plus Capt.Billy's gas powered Philippine Coast Guard Boat tooling around the entire Lake.

Don and CplFuzz were out as well as well as Cannonman. Cannonman has got a new FPV video system in his Atlantic tug! Very , very cool!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Jan 20, 2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:17 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
Paul is going to be fine....

This is to let everyone know that 'Laser' Paul (seated), will be fine.

'Laser' Paul, so-nicknamed as he is a laser and light show provider to the mega-entertainment industry, sustained a two incisions on the forearm from the prop of his Beaver aircraft while handling it at the Lake Sunday which required six stitches, but should cause no further damage other than a really pretty 'bragging' scar and cautionary "No st! There I was... " tale.

Hopefully Paul is resting tonight. He was left in care of family after getting sewn back together at the ER.

Other than the excitement with getting Paul driven to emergency and patched together, it was a lovely, though cool and windy day on the Lake. Pictures coming soon.... (NO! No close ups of the wound site.... However the mpeg... just kidding )

Just a reminder that accidents can happen even to the most conscientious, so let's all play safe out there!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Jan 22, 2013 at 03:45 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:23 PM
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Thanks Craig good report and looked like a nice day. Reminds me of the ol days.
Last edited by Pond Sailer; Jan 21, 2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:45 PM
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
What time did that incident happen? Did 911 get called?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:57 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLego View Post
What time did that incident happen? Did 911 get called?
PM'd
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:38 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
Quick update on Paul

Paul is doing very well. He reports that he went to the Doctor today - the wound site is closed and healing nicely, no infection etc. so he should be able to get the stitches out in under a couple of weeks. All's well that ends well.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Jan 22, 2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:14 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
Moved the buoys for the electric go-fasties about 2pm Sunday; Don and Gerry in the boat and Kenny and me doing the sight lines from the shore.

The western turn buoy claimed a a tunnel hull who hit it square on and cracked the joints where the sponsons join the hull. Let's be careful out there... If you're learning, unsure or you have 'too much' boat: slow down! If it is a technical issue, pull your boat off the water until remedied!!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Jan 28, 2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:59 PM
Joined Oct 2011
603 Posts
More than likely a depth preception issue.
dobydog6507 is online now Find More Posts by dobydog6507
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:33 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,658 Posts
Darn physics ...
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:17 AM
Which way is it blowing?
San Francisco, CA
Joined Feb 2009
353 Posts
On-board video Speckles Lake 2/3/13

Post is here:
SF Sloper is offline Find More Posts by SF Sloper
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:36 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
SF Sloper's Video of Superbowl Morning on the Lake

Dumas R/C Chris Craft Spreckles Lake, San Francisco (2 min 1 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Feb 07, 2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:43 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts

More to come soon!

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Feb 25, 2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
602 Posts
Lookin' good!!!

Nice work guys.....attaboy!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:58 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
597 Posts
Beautiful Day at Spreckles Lake Today

Beautiful Day in the park today. Winds are very light and the water is so clear that you can see the bottom. Lots of carp swimming by as well. Bob SF
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:48 AM
BabyBootLegger
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
My son has a laser but haven't sailed it, yet.
sunworksco is offline Find More Posts by sunworksco
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:52 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
597 Posts
Hi Sunworksco, you and your son will enjoy the boat. My favorite part of its design is its simplicity. You grab the radio, charge the batteries, put the big blue bag in the car and go. Callie Graphics. www.callie-graphics.com did the decals and sail numbers for me and her work is really good and her prices are more than fabulous. Come out and sail with us.
Bob SF
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
602 Posts
beer-can racing Saturday afternoon

Several of us will splash sailboats after the SFMYC's February meeting. Join us. Beer-can racing is informal, without forms, fees, prizes and Nothing But Fun (NBF). More boats are more better. Big, little, new, old, light, heavy, free-sail, RC. What's the point? Good people with good boats make for a good time. CU on the water. Jenthusiast without portfolioT
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Feb 15, 2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:40 AM
Joined Apr 2012
602 Posts
meeting/.frostbite.beer-can

Informative short meeting and excellent winter projects on display (frostbite) plus warm air, light winds and good camaraderie make for a hugely successful Beer-Can Race #5. Thanks to Jim, Bud, Ryan, Jeff, plus others for splashing boats today. Attaboys!

Beer-can race #6 is penciled in for Monday of Memorial Day weekend. More to follow. We hope the 3 Wheelers (79" LOA) and many SBOD's (70" LOA) will to be on Spreckels Lake Monday of Memorial Day weekend for a show of big boats along with FOOTYs and everything in between early in this sailing season.
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Feb 20, 2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: add info
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:35 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,658 Posts
winner !
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:25 AM
victoria, bc
Joined Oct 2003
754 Posts
A group of good looking boats!
mike_victoriaBC is offline Find More Posts by mike_victoriaBC
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:45 PM
j12
Joined Sep 2011
12 Posts
Here are a few pictures from today, you can find more pictures here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ipbvhqjg9wlvl03/yUPYQJj4kA#/
j12 is offline Find More Posts by j12
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:56 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
Really nice shots, Justin! Thanks for posting them ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:50 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,277 Posts
Great pictures, more info. on the Dixie Lea please.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:59 PM
Joined Nov 2010
198 Posts
Millertime. In answer to the Dixie Lea. She was built by Al Collins in the 1970's. When he passed it was donated to the SFMYC in 1979. I am taking care of her at this time. She was scratch built using plans, profile line drawing of the "Southern Belle". The plans appear to be from Germany, "Mississippi-Schubschiff, SOUTHERN BELLE, Vorbildgetreues RC-Model Fur, Elektromotor-Antrieb, Von, Dieter Mack." Here is some data: length; 29 1/2", OAL: 37", beam 11 1/4", draft: 1 1/2", paddle wheel: 7x7". I don't know what the motor & gear box came from. It has a miniature bike chain from motor/gear box to crank shaft. It is running Futaba 4 channel w/ ESC, 7.2 V NMH battery, steam whistle sound from RAM, and now has a 6V smoke unit from Australia that I got from E-bay. Hope this helps. E-mail me if you have more questions. Cpl.fuzz
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:05 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,277 Posts
Thank You Cpl.fuzz.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:33 PM
Joined Nov 2010
876 Posts
What time should one show up for the Rag Top stink pot event next weekend? I would like to participate. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Mar 02, 2013, 03:13 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2007
262 Posts
Calendar:
March 9 Sat (12:30pm) The Rag Top/Stink Pot Regatta

Feb Nautical News:
March 9 – Opening Day The RagTop/StinkPot Regatta
The RagTop/StinkPot Regatta will be held on Saturday, March 9th starting, officially, around 13:00 hours on the north side of the Lake at the starting gate of the Sail Squadron’s (the RagTops) racing course. As this the sailing season’s opening day for both squadrons, and everyone appears to be chomping at the bit already, it was decided in the January meeting to forgo the March meeting and just ‘git into the water!’ That being the case, the Power Boat Squadron (the StinkPots) can get an early start on their sea legs in the morning over in the regular ‘restricted waters’ area against the South Shore next to JFK Drive before walking their boats over to the ‘Sail Side’ on the North Shore for the competition, but more about that in the March Nautical News.
tugs is offline Find More Posts by tugs
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:30 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
Thanks tugs

I'd say come on out and play early in the day on the south shore scale area (inside the buoys) then as time gets close, head on over to the north side of the Lake for the regatta. Don't forget a spare set of batteries for the regatta!!

A'wearin' my Power Squadron Officer's Hat
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:48 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
Saturday, 12 January '13

Saturday was a meeting day for the Club and it was off season as well so not a lot was happening on the Lake. A few sail boats made it out that afternoon for a pick-up race.

The owner of a gas go-fastie takes a break from running his hydro and chats with children
and spectators at Lakeside as the sun warms up the Lake. The little boy in green is
carrying a boat of his own.

Later, after the Club meeting, a couple of members (Gerry and Don) sit and chat
with a couple of the Irregulars (Kenny and an unidentified boater) on a Lakeside bench
while their boats drift lazily in the low, warm sunlight.

RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:58 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
Saturday, 12 January '13 - Kids running at the Lake

It was a good day for kids at the Lake as well....

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Mar 02, 2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:59 PM
Which way is it blowing?
San Francisco, CA
Joined Feb 2009
353 Posts
How to build a PT-109

How to build a Radio Controlled PT-109 (10 min 53 sec)
SF Sloper is offline Find More Posts by SF Sloper
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:04 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
Gas Day - Saturday, 2 March 2013

Saturday is heavy gas fast go-fastie day.
Julio <Racer59> and Justin Li's <J12> boats compete!

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Mar 03, 2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:25 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,658 Posts
Thanks for the pix Craig !

Nice CC Semi Enclosed, havent seen this one before, a club member/regular or new ?