SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:11 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,656 Posts
World ends at 7 on Friday, Mayan Planet to crush Earth - Join us for all the news at 11 on Friday for all the video of the big event!! Don't miss the end of your world!

craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:26 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaphoto View Post
Perhaps over time you can substitute the buoys with scale buoys (or other obstacles like permanent islands) that add to the ambiance of the lake. It might make a nice club project - someone comes up with a standard scale-ish buoy design, and anyone who wants to can make one or two.
I had thought of that and have something up my sleeve along those lines for at least one location but in this case and for now, fast, expedient and at least better than halfway decent was the rule of the day as there was a lot pressure over the accidents during October and November and people leaving the Lake. Crafting some really nice scale waterway marker buoys would have taken too long and cost too much. (At least they are not old milk-jugs)

That said, I agree, there is nothing I can see that precludes us from doing a 'scale upgrades' on the buoys so they look more realistic.

As far as I am concerned (but the Club would have to decide this); someday, in the future, if the issue has gone away, the Club could reduce them to a minimum again.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Dec 18, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:17 AM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Apr 2012
614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
the issue has gone away, the Club could reduce them to a minimum again.
One can only hope.

Just a little added note of useless information-During a pleasant conversation with an well-meaning irregular while he operated his electric fastie on the sail-side of the lake (in your absence) during a mock race of 10 regular sailboats, that skipper commented (respectfully) that he preferred "our" side (so-to-speak) because there are no buoys to contend with. Go figure.

I did, needless to say, mentioned that I liked the buoys because they create a nice (interesting) slalom course for my powerboats. Just sayin'
wyldrydes2 is offline Find More Posts by wyldrydes2
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:17 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldrydes2 View Post
<clip>... he preferred "our" side (so-to-speak) because there are no buoys to contend with. Go figure.
Jerry -

Never said the cordon would be a perfect solution, just a solution which is apparently proving effective (crosses fingers tighter). Sorry about the unintended consequence, but a lot of folks had been running e/go-fasties and other powered boats over on the north shore for quite a while long before the buoys were placed.

If they become an issue, you may choose to point out ''ol Mossback' the sign' up in the tree near the west end of he sail course which reads that powerboats may only run from the south side of the Lake (basically the pit area).

Ol' Mossback

I know it's pushing the envelope a bit, but if the power guy is not interfering with the race, I would let him be.

Peaceful co-existence, detente, etc.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:19 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Apr 2012
614 Posts
camels in the tent

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
I know it's pushing the envelope a bit, but if the power guy is not interfering with the race, I would let him be.
Praises to you for your efforts here (and elsewhere) while trying to find a solution/compromise/toleration etc.... That said, sailing with the e-fastie may be like, "He who allows a camel to put his nose in the tent sleeps with camels." Just sayin' (:
wyldrydes2 is offline Find More Posts by wyldrydes2
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Dec 21, 2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:48 AM
Daly City, CA
Joined Mar 2004
46 Posts
As a photographer and scale warship modeler, I personally dislike the buoys. If there were any other way of resolving the conflicts rampant at Spreckels, I'd love to see them pursued, while using the buoys as a temporary solution.

The problem is that in the 10 years I've been using the lake, the clashes have steadily gotten worse between the various "camps" and individuals who all have very strong ideas about what a fun day at a model boat lake ought to look like, to the point where it has become virtually impossible to have a reasoned, civilized debate. Add to that the fact that we do not have a recognized single organization that has authority to maintain order at the lake, and there is no clear way to get - much less keep - everybody on the same page.

I'm sorry that in essence we as a community had to physically carve the lake up into separate sandboxes, but somebody had to take action, or see the entire scene descend even further into chaos and attrition. I truly hope this stops the loss of scale model boaters from the lake, while at the same time making room for all types of model boating (and even electric aircraft).

Rob
rwood is offline Find More Posts by rwood
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:35 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,676 Posts
When I was a member of the San Diego ship Modelers Guild, they got around conflicts over the use of the model yacht and ship basin in Mission Bay by reserving parts of the weekend for use of the whole basin for power or fast gas/electric or scale.

If I recall correctly, Saturday Mornings were for sail, afternoons for scale, and Sunday afternoons for fast power/electric. If you had a scale sailboat, you got to sail all day Saturday, but could not interfere with the racing. The various clubs may have rotated their weekend times at the basin each year, but I do not have a specific recollection whether they did that, or not.

If there was an event, such as a multi-club yacht competition, the scale hydro races coincident with the full sized Thunderboat Races in the Bay, or the annual Scale Regatta, larger portions of, or the whole weekend would be reserved accordingly. The rest of the time it was open sailing.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:08 PM
Daly City, CA
Joined Mar 2004
46 Posts
That sort of solution is one that I have suggested for Spreckels, but as there is no way to enforce it, and no consensus concerning what the rules ought to be in any case, there doesn't seem to be a way to get there from here.

Rob
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:15 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Son of a gun. Here it is the night of the last day of earth and I decided to stop by and look at boat pictures and stuff being the holidays and all and find this conversation still going on. You guys keep on having fun and hopefully ill see you all next year. Too the guy who gets the last word in, could you do us a favor and bury that poor horse.

Good luck.
Pond Sailer is offline Find More Posts by Pond Sailer
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:35 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,656 Posts
WHAT??? Damn - Still here!! Another good apocalypse wasted!!! And me at Disneyland....

Seriously though, I always really liked the response the head Mayan shaman / priest, a direct lineal descendent of the priests who kept the calendar back in the day and whose family has kept some of the old ways alive (minus rolling the heartless sacrifices down the temple stairs, o' course).

When asked by a western reporter a number of months ago about the coming Mayan apocalypse and the "end of days" predicted by the long calendar, his response was basically, 'what are you asking me for??? That's all a White Man Thing!!'

Mr. Barnum's theorem proved out again! 'cept he may have been off on the numbers by a couple of orders of magnitude.

IN the mean time.... Happy Solstice and Happy Mayan Long Count New Millennium!! - It'll be a while before the next one
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Dec 22, 2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:52 AM
Daly City, CA
Joined Mar 2004
46 Posts
Found a break in the clouds tonight. Thought I'd memorialize the last day of planet Earth by recording the Waxing Gibbous solstice moon.

Rob

Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:14 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,656 Posts
KaBoom?? Where is the KaBoom??

There was supposed to be an earth shattering KaBoom!

This is what happens when you source your Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulators from ACME
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:48 AM
Daly City, CA
Joined Mar 2004
46 Posts
I heard it, but I think it was something I ate.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
kaboom in space? hmm, only in Star Wars movies do you ever here sounds in space. otherwise its just a big flash of light. good thing or that Sun of ours would be making so much noise non of us would ever get any sleep.

can anyone tell me what store is selling this years calendar, I don't know what to call today.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:02 PM
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
[QUOTE=craig_c;23591987]WHAT??? Damn - Still here!! Another good apocalypse wasted!!! And me at Disneyland....
:QUOTE]

L.A. or FL. ?

RWood, nice shot of the Moon. never saw it over here. I was hoping to look up and seeing all the planets in a nice straight row tugging on old Earth and causing King Tides. well not to be that night for me.

so all this was just another Y2K thing. o'well guess ill have to get started on that hunny do list thing again.