HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:07 AM
RC Flying;Lego Contraption Guy
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD RC Boater View Post
A buoy won't stop a runaway $100.00 RTR from going across the lake and slamming into a $1500.00 Santa Barbara or hitting the wall by spectators, etc.

Enforce the 15 mph speed limit.
Where did you find a fast speed boat that goes over 30 MPH for $100? Cause I want one!

The Outlaw OBL Jr is $219 less charger and battery. but yea... it wont prevent that, but it does help for the scale boaters and it does get a start on things.
MrLego is offline Find More Posts by MrLego
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:27 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,242 Posts
May have to do what the full size guys do, out here at one of the local lakes. Jet skis and full size boats alternate days.
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:23 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
871 Posts
Lets hope cooler heads prevail. It is unfortunate that a small segment pf users could ruin the use of the lake for the rest of us. I doubt that the city will be able to do much as their enforcement resources are limited due to budget cuts. As a group those of us who are members of the club should be watchful of the constantly changing situation at the lake. When club members are at the lake if you see someone opperating their boat in a not so responsible way is there a way to report that person to a ranger? If not if a member can diplomaticlly ask the operator to please observe the rules for operating on the lake? Just some thoughts. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:04 AM
Kurt Greiner
USA, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Sep 2005
491 Posts
The same features that make the lake such a joy to run in make it dangerous to operate high speed boats, be they electric or gas. The low curb and pedestrian pathways make it all to easy for a boat to strike a spectator. If the speed limit for electrics is passed - a good idea - then one suggestion would be to put up clear signage to that effect at multiple spots along the shore.

What do members of the club think about setting up a camera to record happenings at the lake? I have an older, but working 4 channel DVR I would be willing to donate to the club for that purpose. Someone would have to supply the cameras and hook it up, but knowing that your actions are being recorded might encourage better behavior on the part of those who use the lake.
seaphoto is offline Find More Posts by seaphoto
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:27 AM
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Oct 2011
5 Posts
This is out of my comfort zone but I fell the need to comment on the "go fasties" as we have come to call them. I've been going out to the lake since before I could walk back in the 70's and my father and grandfather before me. Just recently starting bringing my son who is a fourth generation boater at Spreckels. My family has been in the hobby since the 50's and I want to continue that tradition. A lot of the club members today spent time in my Grandfathers shop who supplied materials for the hobby.

I understand what everybody is saying about the new off the shelf rtr's and agree there needs to be some rule changes but the 15mph limit would end my trips to the lake. I don't know what boats fall under "go fasties" but I'm old school and was taught the right way to do things. I've built all my hulls from wood and spent months building and tuning them. Not afraid to say I've hit 62mph on the lake and plan on improving that speed. I'm also in the process of restoring a boat built in the 70's by Pat that will likely be in the 30mph range. I have pics of it on the lake and there's a photo of him with the boat hanging in the clubhouse. Should I not be allowed to run this boat like it was back then?

I havn't been a member of the club or been a big participant there over the years but I've built a family and a career and plan on spending more time there. I can't express how disappointed my family would be if that tradition ended. The only other place to run boats that I know of is Kaiser Cove and it's not feasible for me to make that trip a few times a week.

I plan on becoming a member of the club just to discuss this further with the members I've known there for decades.

Thanks for reading my vent! And I'll see you at the lake.
Ken Alasandro
kenny77 is offline Find More Posts by kenny77
Last edited by kenny77; Sep 14, 2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:22 PM
Fast Cal
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jul 2011
184 Posts
The events that have transpired ever since the last night run have prompted me to take a break from the lake. Some people who will remain nameless have given us go fast guys a bad name. I for one am very careful and yes NOT perfect in piloting my fast boats but I do 99% of the time avoid the sail boats as much as I can. I understand on occasion they tend to wander into our running area from time to time and we try to avoid hitting them. I don't know about everyone else but I have noticed some sailboat guys tend to be coming out earlier than 1pm as well. We both need to share the lake. Unfortunately we have some bad seeds amongst us that we the GO FAST guys time and time again warn them to ALWAYS to exercise caution when running among sailboats. Those bad seeds tend to take it not as serious as the regular runners unfortunately and things happen that give us regulars a bad reputation. We all need to take responsibility for our own actions BUT we ALL SHOULD NOT be held accountable for one individual's faults. I came back last week and ran a little bit and find it discouraging that these events have transpired into a big mess. I am one of the guys who love this hobby and this lake. I do this to relax and have fun but it seems I may have to give up this hobby if they do impose the limitations at the lake just because of someone else's faults.
cvctiger is offline Find More Posts by cvctiger
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:41 PM
Todd Fleury
United States, MI, Birmingham
Joined Jun 2011
110 Posts
For any Go Fast boats that are interested in joining a great club, look into joining NAMBA district 9.
sport 40 II is offline Find More Posts by sport 40 II
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:14 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Feb 2006
879 Posts
Sport 40 But even there they want you to follow the rules. And their #1 is Safety is paramount.
As for the rest of the posters, all ideas are welcome, but the ultimate power is the Park and Rec folks. The goal is to keep everyone safe and able to use the Lake. It comes down to establishing sane and clear rules that everyone can see and obey.
CaptLee is offline Find More Posts by CaptLee
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:24 AM
RC Flying;Lego Contraption Guy
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
Hey guys, someone just asked me when the battleships and subs will be out. I wasn't too sure on the dates. Could someone tell me a confirmed date for that so I could relay it?

Thanks
MrLego is offline Find More Posts by MrLego
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:40 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,635 Posts
Up coming things for September 'n' October....

Wooden Boats on Parade - (WBOP) Sunday, September 30, 09:30am Spreckels Lake
(includes Fishing Boat Gambler contest)

SubCommittee Mare Island's Fun Run, Sat & Sun, October 20 & 21, 09:00am
at the Western Casting Pond.

Fleet Day, Sunday, October 28, 09:30 Spreckels Lake

For that matter, when is the Spreckels Irregulars' "Fright Night FunRun?"
And your other Night Runs too??

An Last but definitely not least - The SWAP MEET will be after the regular general meeting on Saturday, November 10th (about 12 Noon). This is usually a five or six club event.
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Sep 17, 2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:58 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,635 Posts

It was an active morning and afternoon at the Lake today - open water for gas and others from 10am to 1pm and the Infinity heats in the afternoon.

The highlight for the couple of Club members Lakeside in the morning was the return to the Lake after more than thirty years of the Nanchez paddle tug Dixie Lea (below). Built back in the early seventies she has been sitting on a shelf for all these years until Gerry <Cpl.Fuzz> saw her and decided to get her back into shipshape and onto the water. There is still plenty to do, but doesn't she look fine.

On a sour note, one of the gas tunnels lost control, jumped the lake and went through the bushes. No, this time I didn't get pictures of her leaving the lake. Four incidents in four weeks - *sigh* and since I was watching it flip through the bushes I am not positive who was driving - all I got atm is hearsay.

Anyway, I'll get more photo's up as I get some time to process them.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Sep 16, 2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:30 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,511 Posts
This cruiser is nice, a CC hull with a modified upper half ?

Dont recognize it, it's well done !
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:13 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,242 Posts
Looks like a KNK Jupiter.or Mustang.
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:26 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,635 Posts
From a couple of the details - I am pretty sure that it is Jupiter. And yes, nicely done and very quiet for a heavy gas boat.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:18 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,511 Posts
Thanks Gents...
Looks very cool, googled it, nuttin.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.