HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:48 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
911 Posts
What happened? Not good having fast powerboats getting to close to the sailboats. No excues for collisions to occur with under control vessels. I hope I don't read about any more collisions on the lake between power and sail. Such a great place to enjoy our hobby. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:13 AM
RC Flying;Lego Contraption Guy
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPL.FUZZ View Post
Hi all. I may jump to a different happier subject, the sunken and lost battleship was found early Sunday morning. It was in good shape with not much mud inside. Nothing missing. Within a short time after recovery the guns were operating. It needs a real gooood cleaning but most of the electronics should clean up. By the way, NO hole was found, it must have just rolled over and taken on water. HaaRaaa! Happy messin with boats....
Cpl.fuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD rc boater View Post
Was the Battleship a victim of a run away go-fast?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
What happened? Not good having fast powerboats getting to close to the sailboats. No excues for collisions to occur with under control vessels. I hope I don't read about any more collisions on the lake between power and sail. Such a great place to enjoy our hobby. Ryan
1. It was already determined there WAS NO hole to begin with... I dont get how it was even rumored that there was one. You'd have to go faster than a tug boat to puncture a hole.

2. The battleship was at the night run and I believe lost radio? and it was going in circles. As a result, the owner of the battleship asked another owner of a tugboat (with rescue rig) to attempt to speed up and catch the boat. In the result of that, the boat capsized? and sunk.

For those of you reading this, if you have a rescue boat bigger than the boat youre rescuing, DONT DO IT unless its a last resort (like your boat is sinking), otherwise, just let it drift to the shore, otherwise your boat will just get run over and submerge. I was talking to someone near my car on the night run and didn't see the rescue attempt with the battleship, otherwise I would have asked for the battleship to just drift.

3. Rssailor, you are correct. I really dont want to hear more about collisions either. I just go out there to run, and I hate to consistently bring my boat in just cause someone yells "FAST BOAT" like an emergency siren is going off in the city.
MrLego is offline Find More Posts by MrLego
Last edited by MrLego; Sep 11, 2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:20 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,672 Posts
So everyone knows who/what we is talking about. Rob Wood's <Rwood> DKM Lützow* as seen earlier this year at the Boat Handling Challenge - 5 August 2012 with Mr.Lego's 47' MLB in Canadian colors.

* The DKM Lützow was originally the lead ship of her class, the Panzerschiff DKM Deutschland (1933). She was recalled to port, overhauled and re-rated as a heavy cruiser and renamed Lützow in 1940. Scuttled in the shallows in May 1945, she was captured by the Russians, is thought to have been sunk during weapons tests in 1947.
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Sep 11, 2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:14 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,988 Posts
Every time I see a 47' MLB in CCG livery I wonder to myself "what's my boat doing there?"
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:22 PM
Grosse Pointe, Mi
Joined Jun 2005
1,142 Posts
I may be in the vacinity of Spreckels lake on Friday morning / early afternoon. What are the chances of seeing any boating activity at those times?

Rob
Rob_P is offline Find More Posts by Rob_P
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:09 PM
Joined Mar 2007
34 Posts
Collisions at Spreckels Lake

Message from the Commodore of the SFMYC,

While I almost never post to RCG. I need to address the deteriorating situation of collisions between "GoFast" electric or gas boats, and sailboats and slower electric boats. If you read the previous pages, you'll see that slower, classic yachts, tugboats, etc, are leaving the lake because of perceived safety hazards of fast boats and collisions. The safety hazards are REAL. Within the last month, there have been 3 collisions between fast electric boats and sailboats, and too many "close calls" to mention between "GoFasties" and slower electric boats.

Last Sunday, a fast electric boat operated by a 7 or 8 year old kid rocketed across the lake at full speed and holed the hull of a Santa Barbara sailboat that was racing on the North side. The sailboat would have sunk if it was in the middle of the lake, but it was maybe 30 feet from shore. A friend of mine who was on the South shore saw the kid throw the boat in the water. It did one turn at full speed, and then took off across the lake. The father was not supervising the kid at all.The explanation from the father to the S/B owner was that the boat was "out of control". In fact, the whole situation is "out of control".

The Executive Board of the SFMYC has requested that I contact the Rec & Park to set up a meeting between the Department and the various "stakeholders" at Spreckels Lake, i.e, Free-sailers, R/C sailers, scale boat owners, electric GoFastie owners, and I/C + nitro boat owners. This "Community Meeting" would likely be sometime in October, after all lake users have been notified, and would be chaired by the Rec & Park representative. The purpose would be to see if there could be a compromise between all the groups that would provide for the safety of people's boats AND THE SAFETY OF THE PUBLIC because it's not a matter of "if", but "when" something fast jumps out of the lake and injures a spectator or bystander, with inevitable consequences

Everyone knows that the 15 mph speed limit for I/C and nitro has been ignored for years. It's my personal opinion that GoFastie electric boats will be added to the Park Code 3.02, and regulated with a 15 mph speed limit, and there will be some coordination between the Rec & Park and the SFPD and/or Park Rangers to begin writing tickets for violators. I'd urge everyone to keep a level head at this meeting, because, as a worst case scenario, the Rec & Park might just get fed up and ban powerboats completely. Compromise is never easy--everybody's going to have to give up something--but let's do our best not to lose model powerboating on Spreckels Lake completely.

Thank you,
Bob Heacock,
Commodore, SFMYC
Bob Heacock is offline Find More Posts by Bob Heacock
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Mar 2007
34 Posts
Collisions at Spreckels Lake

Here are some pictures of the hole in the Santa Barbara sailboat, and the GoFastie that collided with it.
Bob Heacock is offline Find More Posts by Bob Heacock
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:35 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Feb 2006
901 Posts
On to the happier stuff, DO NOT FORGET WOODEN BOATS ON PARADE on SEPT. 30th. This is a Fun Run type deal and a gathering of Model Boat Guys from all over. A GOOOOOD Time will be had by all. Do not let the name put you off, if it floats it is welcome.
CaptLee is offline Find More Posts by CaptLee
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:39 PM
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
Every time I see a 47' MLB in CCG livery I wonder to myself "what's my boat doing there?"
haha... I wonder if we'll ever get our boats together...
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:55 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire View Post
I looked at your Dumas ace racing sloop thread. Very informative. That could make a fun racing class as well. Call it the Star 17 Class. $33 is a lot less than the Footy kits I've seen advertised. Plus, its a scale model. I half-finished a Dumas ace racing sloop as a teenager. Short attention span in those days. I do remember that the keel was relatively short by today's standards. I don't know if that would present a problem. I noticed that you gave yours a lengthened keel.
Sorry I missed this earlier!

the keel in the original kit is pretty "scaleish" in comparison to it's real world counterpart. The only reason I added a lenghthend keel to the RC conversion is for the sake of experimentation. and well.. not really knowing what the hell I'm doing.. all the replications of the original free sail version, I've kept the keel length and wieght the same as the original , and all, according to reports, have sailed just fine.

on the RC version the keel is longer, and the wieght is heavier and there is no rational reason for ding so other than to mess around with the design and an attempt to make it so the boat fights harder in the tack.

but everything is still able to modified. if it turns out that once it's in the water that none of that is necessary, or, it's counter productive, I'll probably chop it down to be closer to the length of the original model.

it is a grand experiment after all

the little guy is still on the work bench. Ive taken a step back to figure out some rudder issues and to get my RG65 round ranger "go fast" sailboat together.

I hope yall out at spreckels get it figured out. that's a great purpose built pond, and a invaluable resource to the hobby. I dare say that if there were such issues around here, the P@R guys sollution would be to just shut down the pond to EVERYONE
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:27 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Heacock View Post
<clip>... operated by a 7 or 8 year old kid rocketed across the lake at full speed and holed the hull of a Santa Barbara sailboat ... <clip>
I guess what nearly frosts me most about this latest incident is which part of "Adult Supervision Required" and "This is not a toy" is so difficult to understand?

Maybe the sign should include an "children 13 (or 15) and under running boats must be under the supervision of a responsible adult." This is not just because of their boats becoming projectiles, but also the possibility of having to fish a tyke out of the Lake.

I know, while it isn't absolutely mandatory, the Club 'strongly encourages' a responsible adult to join with and accompany new junior members - always has, to my memory.

I see this less of a "fast boat issue" and more as far too much boat for that age and far too little parental supervision. (Daddy really had never thought this through....)

What frosts me more is that everybody are going to have to pay for the actions of the very few.

ps - Gotta' Love Thunder Tiger's Web Page....
Thunder Tiger - Outlaw Jr. OBL Deep Vee RTR

Compact, competitive and criminally fast!

*sigh*
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Sep 11, 2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:04 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Meh... looks like a shoe...

and it's very unfortunate wording..
that's one of the big problem with RTR models of any strip IMHO. people get them and they have a toy mentality about them, and treat them as such. but the "toy" discssion is more of a philosophocal one and sould be broached else where.

as it is.. yes... any place with models like this should have a under 16 requires adult supervision mandate. and the adult should be held responsible for the actions of their precious little snowflakes, criminally if need be. We as hobbiest are in constant danger of losing our venues because of the irresponsible actions of a few
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:34 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
...What frosts me more is that everybody are going to have to pay for the actions of the very few.
Well, let's remain optimistic about this- There are a lot of creative people who care about the lake and enjoy using it for a variety of purposes. I'm sure a good solution will be found.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:13 AM
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
Well, let's remain optimistic about this- There are a lot of creative people who care about the lake and enjoy using it for a variety of purposes. I'm sure a good solution will be found.
Don had a good one with the buoy, but i haven't seen it set yet...
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:28 AM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
A buoy won't stop a runaway $100.00 RTR from going across the lake and slamming into a $1500.00 Santa Barbara or hitting the wall by spectators, etc.

Enforce the 15 mph speed limit.
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater