USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,649 Posts
September Newsletter

September Newsletter below....

Hot off'a da press....
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Sep 03, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:44 PM
BabyBootLegger
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
Now This is Cool....
Hi Tim,
This is Joe Rothwell's USS Holland windup submersible submarine. He fabricated the brass superstructure over a repurposed Chinese windup toy.
He ran it in my pool and it does a great job submerging dynamically.
He also built another version with a Caswell WTC that he won for best scratch-built submarine model contest, with the same model. He has built submarine model for some time. He is a brilliant craftsman with brass sheet and solder. He repaired my 1/12th scale USS Holland after it was damaged during shipping. He is also an very talented artist and works in several medias. He lives in Northern California and sometimes attends the submarine regatta at The Casting Ponds in Golden Gate Park.

Kind regards,
Giovanni
sunworksco is offline Find More Posts by sunworksco
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:38 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,082 Posts
Cool comps...

Bay area: 1906 + 2010 Mashup
woodybob is online now Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:05 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2007
263 Posts
Since that was published in 2010 there's been a second addition, published in August 2012, including one pic in GG Park.
http://shawnclover.com/2012/08/17/19...blend-part-ii/

Take a look around his site, you might find something else you'll like,

Maybe in the next batch, we'll see a mashup at Spreckels lake with the 1900's shoreline and springers racing around a vintage freesailor.
I can think of a couple of club photographers who could do a reasonable homage to the artist and our hobby.

Haunting images for San Franciscans.
I always look for my grandfather in pictures of draymen, driving horse drawn wagons around the city after the quake. He rescued my grandmother and an uncle from their home, south of the slot and took them out to a relative's near Fairmount School, far from danger of fire etc.
tugs is offline Find More Posts by tugs
Last edited by tugs; Sep 08, 2012 at 01:32 AM. Reason: memories
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:16 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,649 Posts
Ok - I hate washing dirty laundry out for all to see but there were a couple a of accidents recently so, here again, are the rules governing Spreckels Lake. Some are legally enforceable and will result in fines and, theoretically, jail time, others are common sense and the old agreements and Club Rules which only cover Club members but are a pretty good ideas for anyone using the Lake to run model's.

Here is the issue; if people who use the Lake cannot control themselves, then it will be done for them by Rec. and Parks or the police.
Currently, only gas/nitro/internal combustion boats are covered by San Francisco city ordinance (see below) since the fast electrics weren't even dreamed of "back in the day." They exist now and while almost everyone who is using the Lake, Club members and Irregulars alike, have been responsible and careful in their usage, there are a very small minority who can act, as one Irregular puts it, "out of control."

What to do about the "out of control" ones?? This IS gonna get 'walked up the food-chain,' The SFMYC would like to have the input and
participation of the other shareholding modelers who run their boats and yachts on Lake in this. Commodore Bob say he will be chatting with folks Lakeside about this and looking for their input!

Incident - One of the free-sail boats, an X-Class, was hit and the delicate wind-vane steering assembly that controls the rudder was demolished. The next weekend, a 36-R boat, same owner, was struck and had a large hole punched in its side. This was just what we really, really didn't need.

Incident - There was a written complaint with photos lodged regarding an incident during which someone (not one of the Club Members or or one of the Irregulars) harassed the cormorants and other birds with a fast electric on the north-west area of the Lake.
(He is known by sight and he is not viewed as a Lakeside regular by either group.)
  1. Interfering with the wildlife is illegal under the City and County Codes,' (fines and/or jail)
  2. It is illegal under multiple State statutes, (fines and/or jail)
  3. and since the Lake is part of the Pacific Coast Flyway - It is Illegal under federal wildlife statues. (fines and/or jail)
  4. There are a LOT of folks who are birdwatchers and other nature-lovers who use and enjoy the Park. They do NOT have a sense of humor about the wildlife being chased and harassed
  5. It is very likely to bring down the wrath of Rec & Parks and City Hall on to everyone of us, so we who have a stake in using the Lake are just as likely to phone the cops as are the birders.
  6. All those cell phones have cameras - pictures will be taken!
  7. Fast boats should not be over on the north side of the Lake - Power boats should run on the South side of the Lake (see the Rec & Park Dept's rules).
The Lake's regular user's know this, but just so everyone is on the same page - Sailboats may use the lake at any time (see Park and Rec's sign) and have an absolute 'right-of way.' The boats of the free-sail fleet are NOT radio-controlled and must be given a wide berth by any controlled boat, this is basic common sense.

Leave the wildlife alone - period!

The meta-issue here is not just someone got their boat hulled, but safety, and not just our safety, but the safety of every single person walking around or sitting by that Lake. Think about it - you hit a kid Lakeside because your boat "got away from you," you WILL pay the hospital bills and lawyers.

If you have a fast electric power boat, you really might want to consider following the Nitro/IC rules except for days and times. If you have NAMBA insurance, you might also want to consider that if you are moving 'too fast' within 50 feet of any shore - your insurance maybe void (or at least that is my interpretation of the NAMBA safety rules).

If you are within 50 feet of the shore you should not be going over a few miles per hour.

If you are in within 50 feet of the pit-area, the regular users of the Lake ask that you not exceed five miles an hour for safety reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
I know everyone hates me putting this up but it kinda' does cover the old rules-of-thumb on the Lake in addition to my personal (non-binding) understanding of the legally enforceable Recreation & Park Dept. signs which may or may not be accurate.

Most of it is common sense when you come down to it; the extreme east and west ends of the Lake are too small for a big go-fastie to maneuver and loud boats shouldn't be running on the north shore because of the noise that reaches the residents of Fulton Street beyond the tree line.

---------------------------------------------

OK, Quick refresher course: the applicable law
from the Park Code section of the San Francisco Municipal Code...

(plus the posting on the signs).

SEC. 3.02. SIGNS TO BE OBEYED.
No person shall willfully disobey the notices,
prohibitions or directions on any sign posted by
the Recreation and Park Commission or the
Recreation and Park Department. (Added by
Ord. 603-81, App. 12/18/81)

also

SEC. 4.01. - DISORDERLY CONDUCT.

No person shall, in any park without permission of the Recreation and Park Department:
(d) Carry or use a model airplane which is powered by liquid fuel or designed to be used with such fuel;

And they just added the " No Smoking" sign... SF Health Code, Article 19I

Ol' Mossback
Older(original) sign up a tree,
north (sail) side of Spreckles Lake...

"Model Yacht Facility
No Fishing Allowed
Power boats on south side of lake only between 10am and 1pm Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday only"

and the new signage in a couple of places near the power 'pit area' on the south side of the Lake reads...
  1. Internal Combustion (IC) and Nitro powered boats may be operated on the lake from 10amto 1pm Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays only. Sail boats shall have full access of the lake at all other times.
  2. IC and Nitro powered boats must not be operated at speeds in excess of 15 MPH and must not exceed a decible noise level of 60 at full throttle at 50' from the meter on shore.
  3. All local and state laws must be observed in the interest of safety.
  4. Powered boats are to steer clear of all wildlife on the lake.
  5. No more than two IC or Nitro powered boats may be operated on the lake at any one time.
  6. IC/Nitro powered boats shall be run in a clockwise direction and remain outside of the far-east and far-west ends of the lake.
  7. Radio frequency flags must be properly displayed on antennas whenever in use.
I sincerely do not want to see people and models get kicked off of this one of the finest, purpose built Lake venues for models, modelers and model yachts in the world. As always, this is seems to be a matter of a less than a handful of folks ruining the game for everyone else, but the reckless use of the Lake by a very few has got to stop before we all pay the price.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Sep 11, 2012 at 02:52 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:52 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,269 Posts
Craig, you are preaching to the choir. Do you really think the dipstick is a member here and reads the forums?
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:14 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,649 Posts
Ok Grumpa, I am offa me soapbox...

Vis--vis dipsticks though, I have been surprised with the 'reach' of RCG in the past.

Two other reasons I posted this are that I wanted the Irregulars (who were not at today's meeting) as well as the other members who do read RCG, at least partially up to speed so that they, as long-standing and active stakeholders at the Lake, could have their voice heard when this goes to Rec & Parks as I expect it eventually to do. And yes, a lot of the Irregulars do read the thread like cvctiger, MrLego, racer69. (This is NOT to say that this is any kind of official SFMYC notice or anything like that - just me with a burr under my saddle about a couple of safety issues and being worried about possible repurcussions.)

Please don't let my occasional grousing put'ya off.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Sep 09, 2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:42 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,649 Posts
Multi-Club Swap Meet in November....

It was decided at today's meeting that this year's swap meet would be held on the second Saturday of November (the 10th) beginning directly right after the Club's general meeting. Six differentt model boating organizations have particiapated in the past so....

Clean out yer attic.

Personally I made out like a bandit last year - was lottsa great stuff was for sale!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Sep 09, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:20 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
597 Posts
Hi Craig, thanks for posting the rules and regs at the lake. I've found that I've been going home early to just get away from the crazies. I think many people "today" don't understand how much work goes into a model boat and when they zip past me at wide-open throttle....it's time to go home.
Bob SF
P.S. What is the actual date of the swap meet? Month?
Bob SF is offline Find More Posts by Bob SF
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:37 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,729 Posts
Dawn patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob SF View Post
I've found that I've been going home early to just get away from the crazies. I think many people "today" don't understand how much work goes into a model boat and when they zip past me at wide-open throttle....it's time to go home.
Morning Bob ~

This is why I enjoy being there at daybreak, its just me, the Ibis and a few folks out for morning walk... the "crazies" are still passed out from activities the night before.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:41 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
597 Posts
Hi Tim, are you there now? Bob
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:44 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
Please don't let my occasional grousing put'ya off.
Not at all. Didn't put me off. I just thought maybe you were talking to a brick wall.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:12 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,028 Posts
Quote:
P.S. What is the actual date of the swap meet? Month?
Saturday, November 10, immediately following the general meeting. (noon-ish)
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Last edited by Aerominded; Sep 09, 2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:22 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
597 Posts
Hi Aerominded, thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to it. Bob SF
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:37 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,028 Posts
Quote:
Hi Aerominded, thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to it. Bob SF
You're welcome! Looking forward to seeing you there! Always some good stuff!

Looking forward to WBOP too on the 30th!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded