SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 02, 2010, 06:19 PM
Joined Aug 2009
38 Posts
Discussion
New motor, new 60amp esc, no power. Motor noisy

Hey guys. I've got an eflite apprentice that my neighbor crashed and decided he didn't want it anymore. I've been flying gassers for years, but this electric stuff is confusing me.

I remember when he first got the plane, it would turn on and go "BEEEEP, boop boop boop" then if the throttle was down, it would arm with a 'dilliat' kind of sound. (hehe its hard to write sounds)

Well, he toasted the motor and esc, so I bought two new motors (same eflite outrunner like it ships with) and the eflite 60 amp esc.

I haven't flown the plane for a LONG time, and now that I have the new equipment in, its acting really weird. The esc's beeping is REALLY quiet, and I never hear the arm tone. The motor still runs but its really loud (like its mis-timed... it has a kind of arrrrrrrr sound to it instead of the normal vooom) sound.

There isn't enough power for takeoff. Theres enough to taxi around though. Sometimes the motor doesn't want to 'start' either.. it kinda sits there and going "dit dit dit dit dit" without rotating, then it will fire up and go arrrrrrr. It vibrates the plane. I've confirmed this with 2 motors that are brand new. The esc has maybe 10 minutes on it at most.

Can it lose its programming if left to sit for a long time? Is this even a programming problem?

I charged the battery for a good 30 minutes before hand too, so that should be fine, but I don't know how to check.

HELP please! I don't know what to set all the esc settings to. I know how to do it, but I know nothing about these motors. It just seems like I can only get 1/2 throttle at full throttle!
CarComp is offline Find More Posts by CarComp
Last edited by CarComp; Aug 02, 2010 at 07:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2010, 12:59 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,480 Posts
To get one thing out of the way before coming to the problem, I was a bit worried when you said you 'charged the battery for half an hour so it should be okay'. What batteries are you using?
I ask because if you are using Lithium Polymer as most of us do these days you should have a dedicated LiPo charger that will treat them in the way they need to be treated (carefully and in a special manner). They will then get charged fully without risk of overcharging and the danger to life and property that comes with it.
If they're the old NiCad or NiMH, no problem.

I have never heard of an ESC 'losing its programming' - which is not to say it's not possible. There's a first time for everything.
It seems to me that it is more likely that one of the connectors has suffered some deterioration of its solder joint which is causing the ESCs auto sensing problems because of its resistance.
I would therefore suggest that you first of all take off and resolder the connectors that join the ESC to the motor. A bit of a pain I know, six connectors when only one may (or may not be) faulty. It may be possible to check them with a multimeter first. Even a tug and a wiggle might find the culprit but is not guaranteed to do so.

The loudness of the beeping can vary quite widely even with two motors that are ostensibly the same, as the ESC uses the motor to make the sound. This could well be another symptom of the same 'dry joint' problem.
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Aug 03, 2010, 04:36 PM
Joined Aug 2009
38 Posts
Its a lipo charger. 3 wire motor setup.. I think I figured it out.. I noticed that when I switched two wires on the motor, I'd get higher rpm.
CarComp is offline Find More Posts by CarComp
Old Aug 04, 2010, 04:07 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,480 Posts
And reverse running! So if the same prop is on the motor it is probably stalled hence the higher revs.
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings