HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2010, 09:05 AM
1915 Schooner Mariette
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2008
243 Posts
Meatbomber, I forgot a few butt-joints in my planking of Mariette & added them later by simply scribing a line across the plank with the point of an exacto knife, then running a very sharp pencil in the groove. When clear-coated with matt polyester, its almost impossible to tell the diff between this and the real butt joints.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.
delaneyp is offline Find More Posts by delaneyp
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2010, 11:16 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,357 Posts
Good tip ill try that. I like pencil better than paintmarkers and the like as the pencil line never runs !
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:31 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,357 Posts
another chapter of teh instructions completed the bow rails installed.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:24 AM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatbomber View Post
slow going again.. i`ve been sidetracked by my girlfriends Heli flying and my Heli crashing
Now i need to start planking the deck. Usually this should be straight forward..but how to do this easiest without shutting the deck hatches forever ?
Lol, I know the feeling MB, my girlfriend was able to fly my little coax better than I could the first time she even touched a RC transmitter

For planking I plank the deck BEFORE attaching it to the hull. Cut out all the hatches, plank it as normal, then flip it over and cut out the planking over the hatched from what would be the underside when it is installed.
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
Old Nov 17, 2010, 03:39 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,357 Posts
that would be the easier way you`re right YB, and i list it under lesson learned with this one I had to install the false deck early to give teh skeleton some strength before planking... but planking teh deck before would have certainly made things easier
Old Nov 17, 2010, 09:09 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
You could always make a deck out of 1/64" ply planked with 1/16" or 1/32" balsa to go over the structural deck if you need to have the deck installed to give the hull some support. Again, something to have in mind for the next one
Old Dec 04, 2010, 11:19 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,357 Posts
progress is slow going lately... Ive drilled and installed the eyelets that will hold the breeching ropes for the carronades, and some other little things. Now i need to make the Outer hull fittings i.e entry steps, channels etc and build up the deck furniture. i`ve so far assembled the raw gratings and the capstan... more progress expected soon as finally my workshop is having all the material now stored away and sorted
Old Dec 07, 2010, 02:47 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,357 Posts
some of the deck furniture.. nothing fixed yet... now about 200 other things to complete before rigging can start
Old Dec 07, 2010, 03:23 PM
e-powered foam
swiss watch makers area
Joined Dec 2002
812 Posts
looking good MB

Can almost hear the guy's working on it

keep them coming
rawy is online now Find More Posts by rawy
Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:03 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,357 Posts
Finished teh deck furniture. The Pums are not on the pic as they need to be pined to stay upright Nothing is fixed yet but will be pinned when final installation. I`ll make a switch / Teh charging cable access via teh compainionway so i don`t have to open teh hatch all the time.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:41 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Nice ship MB!! Sadly being sick and the holidays have stalled the clipper build for a little while yet.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 02:20 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,357 Posts
I'm going to my parents for the next week for Christmas and a bit of holidays and it looks like Snake is going to get towed alongside the ordinance quay to get her carronades
So until that update I wish you all fellow shipmates a merry Christmas!
Old Jan 04, 2011, 03:48 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,357 Posts
The last few weeks where very slow going indeed.. i`m currently assembling the carronades.. only 10 more guns and about 200 eyebolts missing
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:26 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,357 Posts
After assembling the first broadside i wanted to get a bit of montviation by setting up Snakes Teeth in their gunports.

Guess what they don`t fit The guns are too high, or the ports too small or the sills too thick i don`t know yet. Well well i built teh Carronades as low as i can so i`ll probably have to modify the sill hight. This is the first setback in teh build where i`m unhappy with the quality of teh kit supplied components. Everything else so far was perfect but teh cast "white metal" parts are just pretty bad, most of the carronade barrels are ovaland the rigth and left half don`t even line up.. so i had to do a lot of work to get them half way decent presentable... oh well i hope that they will put brass carronades in the update of this kit, as they allready do on teh Pickle Schooner and the Sherbourne Cutter kits which i have sitting around, these are real beauties !

This rant is just a shameless cover of me procrastinating with RC and rigging installation
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:40 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,409 Posts
carronade pics

here are some pics taken aboard the Niagara. real firing carronades. pics show mounting and position relative to gunport etc - maybe helpful in figuring out the fit problem on the 'snake.....
Have tons more onboard detail pics if you need more reference info...
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL