Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2010, 03:29 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
thanks brooks

The Coppering is slowly progressing... i`ve not done much else yesterday and stamped, cut and glued around 200 plates... the stbd side is now about 3/4 finished... Jerry this gives one a whole new appreciation what you did wiht Constallation next time i`d like to try with the peel and stick of self adhesive rather than with the super glue i use now. The Copper while hard to rub of or scratch off seems to come off the aluminium foil at first contact with the CA glue so i have a few spots that will need a bit of copper colour touchup.
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Sep 27, 2010, 08:30 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,551 Posts
If it weren't for the end result, I wouldn't recommend it at all, but it looks SO good!
Constellation's launch will be coppered, so I get to do a tiny boat (26 cm) soon.

Next time, I have some aluminum peel and stick weather proof duct foil tape I got when I put the stove pipe in my shop. I was gonna use it to do the Macedonian but paint it with the copper paint I used as a base coat on the hull. The aluminum tape was a lot cheaper and available at the local hardware supply.

Your copper came with the kit, no?
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Sep 27, 2010, 08:42 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
I didn`t use the Copper plates that came with teh kit due to the weight. The Kit plates are about 120g heavy and i calculated from samples that my home made plates are only 45g
So i basically make all the plates myself, but it goes pretty quickly. The only bad thing is that the foil i have is not self adhesive so i have to stick it on with super glue.. but at least i can be reasonably sure it`s never gonna fall off.
One option for Self adhesive tape would be the one sold from modelexpo:
http://www.modelexpo-online.com/prod...?ITEMNO=MS0977
They have 1/4 and 5/16in wide tapes,so for your the launch it should be quite right, but for the Ship it`s too narrow at your scale i guess.
I never thought about using aluminium tape (instant airplane) and painting it copper later, that might have been the solution to all my troubles
Old Sep 27, 2010, 09:20 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,551 Posts
I didn't think of the aluminum until I already had till I had bought the copper tape. When I saw how close the paint was to the actual copper, that's when it occurred to me. I can also play with the paint job to "weather" it a little.

ModelExpo didn't have anything quite large enough for Constellation's bottom, but they do have some very narrow and thin foil tapes. The fellows at the Naval Academy are doing the New Ironsides in 1:96 and used some very fine stuff from ME to copper it's bottom - in fact, I'm going to grab some of their left over to do my launch.
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Oct 01, 2010, 06:09 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
first half of coppering is completed

Definitely worth teh effort in my oppinion !
Old Oct 02, 2010, 01:26 AM
e-powered foam
swiss watch makers area
Joined Dec 2002
812 Posts
Very nice job MB
rawy is offline Find More Posts by rawy
Old Oct 06, 2010, 06:17 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
only 4 more rows of copper to lay to finish the other side
Old Oct 08, 2010, 10:41 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
so coppering finished... need to clean up teh CA spill and where the CA took off the copper. with a bit of copepr paint and this part of the job is finished.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 05:55 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
slow going again.. i`ve been sidetracked by my girlfriends Heli flying and my Heli crashing but lately i got the coppering cleaned up and painted over with copper paint. It takes off the shine and starts to look a bit weathered.
The installation of the lower quadrant sils on the gunports (which hold the forward pin of the carronade slide) the last step before deck planking is completed.
Now i need to start planking the deck. Usually this should be straight forward..but how to do this easiest without shutting the deck hatches forever ?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:40 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
planking the deck.
i decided to leave the planks in one piece instead of cutting them to 100mm lengths. so i'll have to come up later with a way to simulate the but ends.. but the ease of laying is just so much higher
Old Nov 03, 2010, 04:25 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
so finished the Deck and the 2 little platforms for the foc'sl and poop. both platforms need still to be trimmed and fitted and their ledges glued in. The Poop will be removable to make access to the rudder servo possible.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 05:13 PM
belgium,limburg
Joined Sep 2009
380 Posts
very nice deck.

are you going to simulate the nails.
lucc is offline Find More Posts by lucc
Old Nov 03, 2010, 05:24 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
Hmm i think not Lucc, tho i would like to build as neat and detailed as you But then i already skipped laying teh planks in a more scale length so i guess i`ll skip that step too. after all she is not realy a close scrutiny display model... my workmanship really doesn´t allow for that, and from 2m away it won`t be visible (i hope )
Old Nov 04, 2010, 05:26 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
slow going day but at least i got both platforms fore and aft ledges installed adn teh platforms fitted. They are friction fit below the capping rail. Which in course i also got on... that one needed a bit of bending to make it conform to the top of the bullwark, but with the method given in the instructions was pretty easy to install.