HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2010, 03:47 PM
if you see a weed, pick it
Devon England
Joined Oct 2006
355 Posts
Question
Washout mesured from LE or TE?

Hi im just about to cut some foam cores for a tailess model the wing require a 2deg twist, ive set it up so my tip templates have a 2 degre drop from the trailing edge to the LE, is this correct? as in the bok Foam modeling it says to raise the trainig edge for wash out.

obviously iether way gives wash out but on with a drooping LE and the other iwth a raised TE mesured from the Root.

cheers
malakiblunt is offline Find More Posts by malakiblunt
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2010, 04:43 PM
internet gadfly
Colorado
Joined Aug 2006
2,145 Posts
Usually you add washout by raising the TE. If you do it by drooping the LE you will change the dihedral a bit but not enough to make a noticeable difference unless you're building a very low aspect ratio plane
nmasters is offline Find More Posts by nmasters
Old Aug 02, 2010, 08:15 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
10,895 Posts
Six of one and half a dozen of the other. Aside from the dihedral issue Norm noted the only thing to remember is "out" is leading edge lower and "in" is leading edge higher. I like to think of it as Washout is taking incidence OUT of the tip or lowering the incidence whereas WashIN is putting IN incidence at the tip. Whether you do this at the leading edge or the trailing edge it really doesn't matter.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Aug 03, 2010, 03:55 AM
if you see a weed, pick it
Devon England
Joined Oct 2006
355 Posts
Thankyou for the replies and im glad i asked, although it is a high AR wing its flat so i would be giving it anhedral which is just the kind of help my piloting skills dont need.

Im going to adjust my tip templates accordingly.

thanks again for the help.

philip
malakiblunt is offline Find More Posts by malakiblunt