SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 02, 2010, 03:32 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3 Posts
Idea
Combine finishes for Chris Craft mahagony

Is it possible to combine final clear coats on mahagony hulls? I was thinking of putting on one or two coats of Captains Spar Varnish and then another four or five coats of Water-based Spar Polyurethane. Is this a recipe for disaster?
mrosso is offline Find More Posts by mrosso
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2010, 04:53 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,779 Posts
I have used different types of polyurethanes of oil base on the same job, but I never have used water base polyurethane over it or by itís self on any of my model finishes. You can not get the build up of finish in thickness or durability to wet sand and buff up for a mirror finish. I know Pat Tritle, on his thread on the Lyman Soft Top Sleeper build said that he used the water based polyurethane and did not like the results.

The water based polyurethane is usually used on furniture, which will not be floating in water for extended periods of time un less you are in a flood.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Aug 02, 2010, 05:03 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,555 Posts
But I do like a clear finish (anything from lacquer to spar varnish to 2-part catalyzed) over the initial clear resin/glass coat.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Aug 02, 2010, 05:08 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,114 Posts
The water based stuff is for interior finishes and doesn't offer UV protection.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Aug 02, 2010, 05:45 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3 Posts
How about an oil-based clear poly? What I'm looking for is just a slight warmth effect of a little varnish and a lot of clear tough poly on top. I'm finishing up a 1930 CC with Captain's varnish only, and while the wood looks great, the caulking strips are turning amber.
mrosso is offline Find More Posts by mrosso
Old Aug 02, 2010, 07:04 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,114 Posts
Varnish will do that...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...58&postcount=4
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Aug 02, 2010, 08:13 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,779 Posts
Any of the marine polyurethane clear coats like Minwax Helmsman Spar Polyurethane will have UV protection in them. The one thing you have to note is that with every coat of Spar you put on, the color of the wood will get a shade darker. I use a couple of coats of the spar for the UV protection, and then build up with the Minwax clear polyurethane which will not change the color of what is going over.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg