HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2010, 09:32 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Question
Ultracote / Monokote (film) hinges on EPP flying wings...

Hey all. Finishing up my Predator Bee 2 and noticed all the build logs talk about using tape to cover and hinge the elevons. Well... I covered my elevons to match my color scheme with ultracote and figured I could hinge them with covering as well since I'm good at it.

I used the standard two strip method, slap a strip on the top to hinge, fold over and iron the 2nd strip on the underside to complete the hinge. It's really strong. So this brings me to my question:

Do folks not seem to use covering-film hinges because of the time involved to get it right, or is it somehow ill-suited for slope use?

Just wondering if it's really all that bad that I used film hinges...
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2010, 09:43 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,928 Posts
Tape hinges seem to have a longer life expectancy, in my experience. It seems like the Monokote or Ultracote adhesive gives up under the UV and punding a combat wing takes. I'd probably just fly with what you've got until it's time to re-hinge, and then go with 3M #190, or blenderm.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Aug 01, 2010, 09:51 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno View Post
Tape hinges seem to have a longer life expectancy, in my experience. It seems like the Monokote or Ultracote adhesive gives up under the UV and punding a combat wing takes. I'd probably just fly with what you've got until it's time to re-hinge, and then go with 3M #190, or blenderm.
+1

My first ever EPP wing used film hinges, and it did blend the hinge a little better than the tape did, it didn't last nearly as long. On it's 3rd flight a 36" combatwing hit my elevon at nearly top-speed, and ripped the elevon right off the TE!
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Aug 01, 2010, 10:04 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,928 Posts
If you like the "tension hinge" method, there's no reason why you cant re-do them in hinge tape. The DS'ers like that hinge method.
Old Aug 02, 2010, 12:50 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno View Post
If you like the "tension hinge" method, there's no reason why you cant re-do them in hinge tape. The DS'ers like that hinge method.
Hmm... I've seen tension hinges mentioned...

Gonna have to run a search for how to do that.

I did make sure the strips were wide, going 3cm onto the wings covering. Perhaps they'll last?
Old Aug 02, 2010, 01:20 AM
Joined Jan 2003
6,928 Posts
Over under tension hinges are done very similar to your Ultracote hinges- just with hingetape. I have an older F3F plane that has tape hinged surfaces done this way, and they are very secure.

In my experience it's not the length, it's that the Ultracote cracks and the glue lets go.
Old Aug 02, 2010, 02:33 AM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,193 Posts
Here's the tension hinge method:

kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2010, 07:36 AM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,576 Posts
Can we make that pic a sticky? Pun intended. I use monokote hinges on gas bags and that's it. They won't stand up to the shock of an EPP wing crash, they'll just let go, as others have said.
3 sets of 3 tension hinges, just like the pic. Use a good quality tape that stands up to UV. Duck HD, or 3M. No need for strapping tape.
For ultra bullet proof, use a compression hinge over the top. If you take care, you can get a perfect hinge with no step at the control surface.
This method works for top, center, bottom hinging.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old Aug 02, 2010, 07:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeevyhouse View Post
Here's the tension hinge method:

I think I understand now... Coming from the woody / TD side, All I've ever done are film hinges. I figured that more overlap (onto the wing proper) would be good enough insurance...

As far as UV, I've had film hinges last for many seasons, so I wasn't really thinking that it was a concern...

Think I'll re-hinge with blenderm about a month or so from now. By the way, does anyone have a source to score blenderm on a large roll??? The only way I can find it is in the cut-down dubro package which is stupid expensive, ie. 15' for 5-6 bucks...

I want a medical-size roll! Like 100 yards...
Old Aug 03, 2010, 06:39 AM
Just Toss It !!!
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined May 2004
5,899 Posts
Talking about " the shock of an EPP wing crash" you will see in time, that balsa elevons on an EPP model
take quite a beating and need to be changed and replaced with fresh ones sooner or later.
Using tape (any type) is much faster and cleaner than messing with film hinges.
Those who race appreciate what it means to change out a broken elevon between heats of the MOM race!
Although I guess you could modify your Monokote iron to plug into the cigarette lighter!

Matin
MATIN is online now Find More Posts by MATIN
Old Aug 03, 2010, 07:16 AM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,576 Posts
I wouldn't use blenderm on a Bee either.
Old Aug 03, 2010, 11:13 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000MPH View Post
I wouldn't use blenderm on a Bee either.
So what tape do I use that's durable AND UV resistant?
Old Aug 03, 2010, 02:18 PM
Just Toss It !!!
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined May 2004
5,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogChief View Post
So what tape do I use that's durable AND UV resistant?
I use Duck brand 2.6 mil packaging tape.
It's affordable, relatively easy to source and has never failed me.

Matin
MATIN is online now Find More Posts by MATIN
Old Aug 03, 2010, 07:00 PM
Noosa, Queensland. Australia
Joined Apr 2008
58 Posts
I must be the dumbest bloke on this forum. I have never been able to work out how single sided tape can stick to the lower surface of the elevon. Can someone please explain for the dummy?

Steve
drcuzo is offline Find More Posts by drcuzo
Old Aug 03, 2010, 07:34 PM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,576 Posts
Drcuso, see steps 2-4 in the above graphic. I use an overlap of 1/16"-1/8".
I really like the Duck HD as well but I also use 3M 375 or 3850 series clear packing tape on my record challenging planes. The 3M tapes above stick "sticky side to sticky side" better than all tapes I've tried. Daemon recommended them to me.
Definitely Duck HD for the Bee as it is a little thinner and more pliable for crazy elevon throws.
Old Aug 03, 2010, 08:20 PM
Noosa, Queensland. Australia
Joined Apr 2008
58 Posts
Thank you for that. I missed the overlap step.

Steve
drcuzo is offline Find More Posts by drcuzo
Old Aug 04, 2010, 10:50 AM
United States, WA, Port Townsend
Joined Mar 2005
130 Posts
A great iron on hinge, if you have access to a sewing machine, is to stitch together (creating the actual hinge) 2 strips of Coverite fabric covering material. Iron one half to the control surface and the other to the wing , stab etc. The stitching creates a very flexible hinge and it's also very tight, preventing airflow leakage.
raceskier is offline Find More Posts by raceskier
Old May 14, 2014, 01:55 PM
Joined Jan 2010
43 Posts
do you guys use the hinge method then cover the hinge with monokote or do you leave the hinge tape exposed? would monokoting the elevons before applying the hinge tape make the elevons too heavy for combat flying?
jpun1 is offline Find More Posts by jpun1
Old May 15, 2014, 06:29 AM
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
GUAM.USA
Joined Dec 2009
159 Posts
I've tried everything but have stuck with blenderm since I discovered it years ago..easy to change in the field. moves like skin.. but really, use what ever works man..... on elevators, I tape top and bottom, on ailerons ,I hinge then tape.. I tend to pull fast turns and totally hate flutter....
guamflyer is offline Find More Posts by guamflyer
Old May 15, 2014, 11:36 AM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpun1 View Post
do you guys use the hinge method then cover the hinge with monokote or do you leave the hinge tape exposed? would monokoting the elevons before applying the hinge tape make the elevons too heavy for combat flying?
If you use the over-under tension hinges, then you CANNOT lay a strip of monokote over the top of the hinge line! You'll quickly find out that the elevon will only move up, and not down! You can, however, iron down monokote on the wing, and then a separate piece of monokote on the elevon. As long as you don't have any monokote crossing over the actual hingeline, then you're safe. Weight isn't an issue, unless you're counting every single gram for a super-ultra-light build.

-Keith
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member