Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by vicovaludemero, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 01, 2010, 04:25 PM
USA, NY, Cedarhurst
Joined Mar 2010
1,008 Posts
Discussion
Flight 47 Crash #2...

Went to my normal flying spot today (the football field @ the high school) and had a pretty spectacular crash... Honestly, It was awesome lol.

Conditions:

Less then ideal... But I have flown in worse.
Mostly cloudy with a 13mph SW wind, gusting to 17mph.

The Crash

I had already used up my first pack doing circuits and figure-eights, the wind was not so bad but I did notice an increase in velocity once I climbed above 80ft. I continued doing alternating circuits and eights (clockwise circuit, 8, counterclockwise circuit etc...) and then It happened.

I had just exited a right banked turn coming out of an eight and started the downwind leg of the clockwise circuit. The wind gusted and I gained speed, I didn't have room to roll out so I added pitch to clear the goal post then proceeded to turn the heli back in to the wind (as I had done a few times during the previous flight).

This is where I really lost it; when I gained altitude to clear the post the gust picked me up and carried me higher then before and right into the stronger wind. I should have initially banked harder to get that nose into the wind but I'm still learning so I wound up drifting, gaining too much altitude and almost losing orientation.

I decided to bring it in and start over, I got it flying into the wind and descending, I thought I was ok but as I was passing over the goal post a gust flipped me inverted. I followed through and flipped the heli back over but lost altitude and was in a nose down attitude heading right at the goal post. I hit throttle hold and missed the post, the heli hit the ground nose in and bounced a good 6 feet before stopping, the blades went flying... It was awesome.

This whole sequence of events took place in only a few seconds and in the end its really mostly just pilot error. The good old dumb thumbs coupled with a case of 'I overlooked the actual wind conditions because i just wanted to fly'.

The Damage

-Landing Skids
-Tail Boom
-Main Blades
-Main Shaft
-Motor Mount
-Feathering Shaft
-Flybar
-Tail-Rotor Shaft
-Canopy
-Sheared Jesus-Bolt
-1 HS-65MG gear set

Miraculously, none of the bearings or gears suffered any damage, even the torque tube survived.

Pictures

First Response...

Good distance on those blades, how many points is that?

On the operating table.

Sheared Jesus-Bolt

Bent Motor-Mount

Broken Tail-Boom

The Pile...

The Canopy... I'm just gonna paste it back together and get a nice one for display. Well until I become a better pilot anyway.

The rest of the bird...

vicovaludemero is offline Find More Posts by vicovaludemero
Last edited by vicovaludemero; Aug 01, 2010 at 06:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts