HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by bnrusso, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 01, 2010, 12:40 AM
early retired & loving it
USA, AZ, Kingman
Joined Aug 2005
1,229 Posts
Data
new 9x and options, pros and cons.

I'm going to gather data from OWNERS of the various 9X transmitters and modules.
I'd like to build some sort of matrix that I hope will tell me the best brand, version, time, parts to purchase as I am not yet a 9X owner.
I will try to gather this data from several of the threads and I also hope that owners will leave their information here for me to add/edit thereby try to keep this thread on topic and as clean as possible.
Also if I make a mistake or improper observation please bring it to my attention.

I think that the first task I have is separate the TX /case/base from the TX module.
I base this on the fact that the basically $9 RX will be a sufficiently satisfactory item to purchase.
I will start by gathering the brands of receivers that will work together with the common TX module.

IF this ~$9 RX proves to be unsatisfactory then a replacement would be in order as it looks like other TX/RX module combos can be used as replacements.
THEN the data gathering will then move to the TX case/base and it's new and ever-changing firmware.

Another reason I want to start here is that there are modules that can be adapted to be used with other TX case/bases.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Compatible RX choices.
Since the current RX version is V2 I will use this as my base.
(If there is a v3 upgrade this data may be in jeapordy.)
HOBBY KING $9 8Ch RX

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________
RCHOBBIES $15 8ch rx (3rd generation)

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________
HOBBY KING $10 6ch rx v2

RCHOBBIES $9 6ch rx (3rd generation)

LEADERS HOBBY $9 8ch rx

bnrusso is offline Find More Posts by bnrusso
Last edited by bnrusso; Aug 01, 2010 at 01:09 AM. Reason: added 6c HK and 6C RCHby...added LeadHob 8ch
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:47 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,171 Posts
I have one of the early V2 transmitters from Turnigy (HK). This was purchased in May, when the Tx came with the 72 antenna and no 2.4 module, but did have the V2 firmware.

I have flown it quite a bit in the last four months without any problems. Just minor irritations with the firmware ("mode" for "model" and vise versa) and the counter intuitive button arrangement (push left button to move cursor right).

I've used Fly Dream, FrSky (Telemetry) and Spektrum modules with 100% results. I did have to do a little work to get a good fit with the Fly Dream module. Otherwise there was a risk of not making good contact.

Later, I installed a Fly Dream DIY module inside the transmitter with the antenna up top. I can switch between it and a Spektrum or other module plugged into the back.

Overall, a remarkably good value transmitter.

I would also strongly endorse the Fly Dream system, which is cheap ($21 receivers), has excellent range, is very reliable and has a very helpful North American distributor located in Mississippi: RC-modules.com.

Another nice thing about Fly Dream is that they have very small receivers, something you can't get from FlySky. I have the 2.4g 4-channel and am getting a 1g version shortly. Great for indoor flying.

One thing to watch out for. The 9x uses the Futaba channel sequence (AETR). If you want to fly the micro BNF models with AR6400 receiver/servo brick, you need the JR/Spektrum sequence (TAER). I'm working on installing new firmware that will allow me to do this.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66