HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2010, 07:29 PM
Harrisonburg, Virgina USA
Joined Jul 2010
2 Posts
Question
New to it. Questions for Veterns

Hello everyone. I am a newbie and I would like to share some of my experiences in the RC world and ask for some advice.

My first RC vehicle was a CJ clone from a Sears catalog. It was a Christmas present I received when I was 6 or 7 and it was what I had asked for. Unfortunately it was DOA. It never moved and it was returned to Sears but was not replaced. When I was 12 for a birthday present I received a Radio Shack RC dune buggy. I loved that dune buggy and would play with it as much as I could but the problem was that it took something like 8 AA batteries and would only be usable for about 15 minutes. I remember stealing batteries from various things around the house trying to get a few extra minutes out of it. When I was 14 or 15, for Christmas I received an RC hovercraft which had a rechargeable battery pack. I loved chasing the dog and cat around with it on the kitchen floor however it wasn't much use anywhere else because unless what the craft was on was smooth it wouldn't move. About three years ago I bought one of those Walmart 30 dollar foam helicopters which was incredible fun for the cost but it was short lived as it got away from me and landed nearly impossibly into a toilet. I am fascinated by RC craft but I have been apprehensive of the cost and longevity of the item. I remember my father taking me to his friends house once because his friend has just purchased a very expensive RC car. I believed it was gas/nitro powered because it was very very fast. So fast in fact that while he was driving it (and I watching) he lost control of it. It cart-wheeled off the road and into a tree utterly destroying it.

I understand that most the people who post in threads are seasoned veterans and take this hobby very seriously. What I would like is to learn to fly an RC plane and then learn to fly FPV. Because of past experiences with RC craft I am a bit nervous. My goal is to fly around fields and filming landscape and mountains. I am not however very interested in short range FPV, the kind you see on various video sites where people are flying ten feet off the ground trying to dodge phone lines and unsuspecting people.

I have purchased an AXN Floater-Jet / Ready To Fly EPO and a Hobby King 2.4Ghz 4Ch Tx & Rx V2 (Mode 2) and awaiting shipment. I know that its a very cheap setup but I am not willing to throw hundreds of dollars into a 'training model'. I will be taking it to a friends field and trying to learn to fly it without FPV gear. I have a few questions for the veterans.

1.How long (hours, days, months) should I expect to have to 'train' before I should even think about trying FVP?
2.I am very paranoid about losing the model. Are 'return home' auto pilots pretty reliable? Which would you recommend? ::Note I don't plan on just turning off my receiver, sitting down and waiting for the plane to return. I am asking purely on a safety issue.
3.At which transmission strength should I start looking into getting a ham radio license? I know certain bands are permissible to use with a license but what is the cap for signal strength for non licensed radio operators in the USA?

Thank you for you time and I hope someday I will be able to share with others my experiences as a FPV pilot.
Rexamajinx is offline Find More Posts by Rexamajinx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2010, 08:13 PM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,211 Posts
Hours days months ? Rushing into something as technically challenging as FPV is not a quick process if sucess is expected. You cant set a time on how long it will take you to master it.

You will be in for a long wait learning to fly properly before progressing to FPV tbh but it will pay off big time

If you paranoid about loosing a plane then forget FPV for now as its an enivitabilty, it can and will happen. Even with RTH

Stick to learning to fly, then flight characteristics first
Coyote64 is offline Find More Posts by Coyote64
Last edited by Coyote64; Aug 01, 2010 at 05:47 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 09:16 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,072 Posts
I don't agree, flying properly non-FPV can take a few days to a few weeks, it depends on the person mostly. I could fly my first plane in a few hours, including a few more hours of simulator before hand. I would recommend the simulator to anyone who doesn't feel confident, before the first flight. Don't forget to cut the power when you crash, and that commands are inverted when the plane is facing you. Never fly behind your back or straight above your head. They're the basic rules I suppose.

Flying FPV on something that is already setup can be nearly instant especially for youngsters who have flown in simulators (FPV flying is very easy in itself imo), however setting up the plane for FPV is what is rather long (month of try/fly/break/setup again at best) and thus the "difficult" part.

Also you do need to know how to fly non-FPV first anyway for when you'll have troubles or for take off (AXN has no wheels). You don't have to have RTH and such stuff yet because it takes quite some setup. Once you have flown the AXN and are conformable non-FPV, just start with a camera and transmitter, add an OSD which has RTH later.

In the USA, 2.4ghz up to, I _think_ 1W is legal (it is at least for digital transmissions, not sure about analog), but your radio being 2.4ghz you'll need to change it or get a module, or use another video freq (possibly one that need a license).

Finally, the HK radio is not very good for long (or even medium:P) distance so you'll have to replace it at some point anyway.
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:08 PM
usa
Joined Dec 2004
495 Posts
whats this frequency being off to work?

I copied this because I always thought the
Rx and the TX crystals have to match and all of mine do at least whats stamped on them.
The frequency marked on the UM1 crystal that came with my R-4P or R-6N does not match my transmitter's frequency?

In order for a single conversion receiver to work with a given transmitter frequency, the receiver will require a crystal that has a frequency value that is +455 kc above the transmitter crystal. For example, channel 40 will have 72.590 marked on the transmitter crystal. The matching UM1 crystal will be marked 73.045 in order for the single conversion receiver to work.
can anyone explain this to me
Rhondas is offline Find More Posts by Rhondas
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:14 PM
fly it high as possible
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jun 2009
490 Posts
I suggest that after crashing the Floater Jet (because it's small and very fast plane) you can buy Radian at Hobby Hangar in VA for $250 RTF (Ready to fly)
and could start reeally enjoying by flying this one (Radian) and of course after upgrading; find, please, some thread about it here.
And in future can even instal some of FPV on this glider. Very stable on air and on strong enough wind.
Good luck.
IL76MD is offline Find More Posts by IL76MD
Last edited by IL76MD; Jul 31, 2010 at 10:16 PM. Reason: mistake
Old Aug 01, 2010, 04:13 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,273 Posts
Rexamajinx
1.How long (hours, days, months) should I expect to have to 'train' before I should even think about trying FVP?
- that depends on you. My son learned to fly in about 2 hours and I have a friend who is still learning after 2 years...I guess you had video games experience and you are not unfamiliar with a joystick. My advice would be to try to locate the nearest model airplane club and ask for help. Ohterwise, there are flight simulators available that will help you master the stick movements.
2.I am very paranoid about losing the model. Are 'return home' auto pilots pretty reliable? Which would you recommend? ::Note I don't plan on just turning off my receiver, sitting down and waiting for the plane to return. I am asking purely on a safety issue.
-Take it easy. electronics are very reliable these days and there is no need to feel paranoid. take baby steps, fly normal, get to know your plane, then fley FPV, use a spotter, a friend who can tell you what is going on and who can resue the plane if you get in trouble. then fly a little further and higher, the if you still want to go for it , crack open your wallet and spend on the gear you fancy ...
3.At which transmission strength should I start looking into getting a ham radio license? I know certain bands are permissible to use with a license but what is the cap for signal strength for non licensed radio operators in the USA?
Unable to tell I live in the UK

From what I know the AXN floater is a great plane, the Radian would have been much better as it is slower an docile but your plane will be just great. try to get some local help from your club or an experienced friend.

And remember... baby steps... one thing at a time
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Aug 02, 2010, 11:36 PM
Harrisonburg, Virgina USA
Joined Jul 2010
2 Posts
Waiting is Hard

Thank you everyone for the advice. I will keep posting my progress once I get my order in. Thanks again.
Rexamajinx is offline Find More Posts by Rexamajinx