HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2010, 01:36 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,889 Posts
Build Log
Fun Scale 80” Me-109G IMAA Legal

For my next project, I wanted to see if I could take the light weight sport scale model further. After the fun and success I had with the 60” Hurricane, I wondered if I could go bigger. The biggest obstacle with larger models is often the price. While the cost of motors has come down, these sized models often need to use 8-10 cell packs costing in the hundreds of dollars. So the question and the challenge was how to do a large model without the large model costs.

My Hurricane project had construction similar to that of a large free flight model- little sheeting, stringers, and light weight covering. The Me-109 has the same design philosophy so a weight of 7-8 pounds is not unreasonable. With a wingspan of 80”, that would give a wing loading of 16-18 ounces per square foot; heavier than the Hurricane, but with a larger wing volume. The end result is a simple structure to build, an easy airplane to fly, and that will still resemble a full size airplane. The prototype features mechanical retracts for the main gear (non-retractable tail wheel) and flaps. The outline of the model is fairly accurate and the design is such that if one wanted to sheet the model to be more scale, they would have a good foundation to start from. The only thing one would need to consider with a fully sheeted model is a more powerful motor and battery set up.

The impetus for this model came from a friend and fellow club member who wanted to do a project together. Usually I have my parts cut by Charlie at Manzano Laser, but given that he has his own cnc machine, we agreed if I did the design, he would cut the parts. Since I did the design, I offered to be the Guiney Pig and build the first one to correct the errors and find the best way to assemble the model. So enough about the design for the moment and lets get to some of the building!

D-Rock
D-Rock is online now Find More Posts by D-Rock
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2010, 01:39 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,889 Posts
I have been working on this project for a little while; so these first posts will be kind of a “catch-up” to the point in construction of where I am at now.

After the parts had been cut, I marked each one while they were still attached to the “tree”. Next I removed all the parts and gave them a light sanding and removed any attachment tabs still present. Oddly enough, it was only after printing out the plans and looking at the parts did I realize how HUGE this model was! Since wings are usually the most complicated structure, I thought I’d start there.

I gathered all the wing parts and identified the sub-assemblies. The main spar, sub-leading edge, aileron leading edge and aileron trailing edge were two separate pieces. They were joined together with a small tab cut to size to fit in the cut-out. The next sub assembly to consider was the wingtips. These are made from 3 laminates of 1/16” balsa formed over a template. For the template I used 6mm (about 1/4”) thick depron. While the wingtip dries, I moved onto the main spar and retract spars.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 01:43 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,334 Posts
Man, D-Rock, you're a machine! Very interesting build and I'll be here lurking. Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Jul 31, 2010, 01:44 PM
Yank Pilot
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,670 Posts
Wow,

That would be the perfect size and would make for a reasonable landing speed. I'm subscribed!

Randy
Pilatuspc12 is online now Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Jul 31, 2010, 01:45 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,889 Posts
The main spar is 1/4” balsa and the retract spars are 1/8” lite ply. The top-front edge of the retract spars needs to be sanded at an angle to match the curvature of the ribs. To get the retract mounting plate in place, I needed to first dry assemble the spars with W-1 and W-2, sliding the retract plate in place. Most of the wing parts “lock” into each other allowing for easier alignment and a stronger structure. The wing plan was laid down and covered with wax paper. The spars and W-1/ W-2 assembly is pinned in place. Also at this time the aileron leading edge, aileron trailing edge, and washout shim were pinned in place over the board. Due to the size of the wing, I did not use a “Wing Jig” on this design. The remaining wing ribs were slid into place, making sure the ribs were completely seated in the aileron leading edge and aileron trailing edge spars. Next the sub-leading edge was slid onto the front of the ribs. After checking the alignment, all the parts were glued in place. The trailing edge was cut from 1/16” balsa cut to width and length. Before gluing this to the ribs, the sub ribs W-7A and W-11A were placed in position. These sub ribs were for the control surfaces. Once all were in place, they too were glued. The top and bottom of the wing has 1/8” square stringers- these can be made from basswood or spruce. The wingtip lamination was held in place to allow for the cut marks to be made.

D-Rock
Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:05 PM
Joined Sep 2005
674 Posts
Beautiful work on a difficult wing w/ retracts! Very tidy build & I believe it will fly like a dream & great prescents in the air. Keep us all informed on progress.

Kind regards,
Dale
Ascolta is offline Find More Posts by Ascolta
Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:05 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,438 Posts
Really like it, but I think you should reduce it in size to match the same scale as the Hurri. That way you could offer both sizes! I like to try and keep the birds at the same scale. Guess I could get your plans, and reduce it myself, but then I gotta cut the parts too.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:18 PM
Yank Pilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,670 Posts
The other possibility is to enlarge the Hurricane to the larger scale. Then it would be huge. I like the idea of ultra light wing loading for good slow landing speeds. It looks more scale also. The motor and battery systems don't have to be so powerful and expensive. Watching with interest!

Randy
Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:26 PM
Flying electric since 1986
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
I cant wait to see the finished product! I've come oh-so-close to ordering a Hurricane kit, but the Me109 is much higher on my "want to build" list.
Mark Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aeromodel Skybuggy 100
Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:34 PM
Yank Pilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,670 Posts
Just for Kicks, if your 60 inch wingspan "Hurri" were scaled up to the 80 inch Bf-109G, then it would have a 98.46 inch wingspan! Eee-gads!
I think I'll wait for the Messerschmitt.

Randy
Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:38 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,889 Posts
Hi guys, thanks for the comments. I have actually thought about the suggestions of either enlarging the Hurri or reducing the 109 to 60 inches. Either is still a possibility I really like the 60" range and my next one after this project will close to that.

D-Rock
Old Jul 31, 2010, 07:10 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,438 Posts
I agree about the 60" size. It's easy to fit in my trailer, and built light like the Hurri, isn't gonna scare the begeesus out of ya! Also easier to fly at scale speeds too. I bet at 60" you could get it in at about 4-5 pounds.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:01 PM
Yank Pilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,670 Posts
D-Rock,

You are still going to make the 80 inch Bf-109G, right?

Randy
Old Aug 01, 2010, 12:00 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,889 Posts
Hi Randy, yes the photos and work shown is for the 80" version. I'll post more progress tomorrow .

D-Rock
Old Aug 01, 2010, 12:59 AM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,337 Posts
D-Rock

You are a machine! Really looking forward to this one unfolding.

Paul
Longhorne is offline Find More Posts by Longhorne