SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:24 AM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,500 Posts
Discussion
Burned up an ESC, question

So I had an E-flite 10amp ESC, a Rimfire 300 motor, a 3 cell 800mah lipo on Leadfeathers EPP Edge540.

I was using this same set up on my EPP Infineon and a few other foamies I have built and it worked fine.

The Edge weighs a bit more.

I maidened her yesterday and the flight went well. The motor seemed a little to weak since I had to have her at 75% throttle to hover. Again its a pretty heavy little foamie for the motor.

I landed in some WET GRASS (don't know how sensitive the gear is) but it didn't seem like anything got wet.

I gave the motor a little juice on the walk home it turned like 5 times and then stopped. I figured the battery was dead. I got home and hooked up a new battery to test my theory and a spark shot out of what I thought was my motor but on closer inspection my ESC had smoke coming out of it.

Here's my question, I grabbed a 18amp ESC from my toolbox just to test the motor and now it sounds a little weird while running and once I pass half throttle the motor sputters.

Did I blow my motor and ESC at the same time? The motor was smoking hot yesterday after the flight.
airbagit13 is online now Find More Posts by airbagit13
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:38 AM
USA, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Nov 2009
812 Posts
Yep. I believe you cooked both of them.
benski is offline Find More Posts by benski
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:49 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,846 Posts
I you mite of smoked the motor that melted the shielding on the winding and cause a short in it then that smoke your ESC.

Check the motor windings with a meter.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:54 PM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,500 Posts
That's what I was afraid of. I need to get a better set up for foamies.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 01:29 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Yeah, and don't buy those ElectriFRY motors, they have a tendency to do that, even with the recommended prop/battery.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jul 31, 2010, 02:34 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,549 Posts
... and may I suggest you get a wattmeter so you can check how many amps your setup is actually pulling?

A quick check on the Tower Hobbies site reveals that the Rimfire motor is rated for 9A continuous and 13.5A peak, so I would suggest that your ESC is a bit on the small side anyway.

Using your setup in a heavier than usual model could have made the difference from your previous experience.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jul 31, 2010, 02:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13 View Post

The motor was smoking hot yesterday after the flight.
If you can't put your finger on your motor and hold it there for 10 seconds after a flight, then the prop is the wrong prop for the motor/battery combo.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 31, 2010, 08:56 PM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
If you can't put your finger on your motor and hold it there for 10 seconds after a flight, then the prop is the wrong prop for the motor/battery combo.
This helps me a lot, HOW HOT IS TO HOT? Thats what I always used to wonder, this is a good rule of thumb.

I am buying a watt meter right now, I am doing way to much experimenting without one, its just going to cost me money in the long run.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 09:35 PM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,500 Posts
I went to headsupRC and bought a Blue Wonder motor and 10 amp ESC, a Wattmeter and a bunch of other nifty stuff. Should be good to go.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 09:50 PM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
Yeah, and don't buy those ElectriFRY motors, they have a tendency to do that, even with the recommended prop/battery.
The funny thing is that I called the LHS and said "I want something like the ""infamous blue wonder"" and the guy said I don't sell cheap motors I only sell quality" and he sold me the Rimfire.

I had to return the first one he gave me because it was defective and he replaced it saying "yeah this happens all the time."
Old Jul 31, 2010, 09:57 PM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,500 Posts
1 3 in 1 Wattmeter, Battery Balancer, Battery Checker @ $39.95 = $39.95

Can't go wrong.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:57 PM
AMA #953123
Eugene, ORYGUN
Joined Mar 2009
2,203 Posts
You will like the little BW motors. They have lots of power for their size.
VROOMSTER is offline Find More Posts by VROOMSTER