HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: What kind of plane would you like for a drawings and tutorial disk?
A1 Skyraider OR Aichi D3A1 47 49.47%
P36 Hawk OR Kawanishi J6K 7 7.37%
P47 Thunderbold OR Mitsubishi J2M Raiden 30 31.58%
SB2C Curtis Helldiver OR - Nakajima B6N2 "Tenzan" 10 10.53%
Vought SBU1 OR Kawasaki Ki10 5 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 31, 2010, 04:11 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Poll
Douglas Skyraider Video Tutorial for a "drawing and tutorial disk"

After our MIG 3 workshop ended in spring I tried to take a " lesson learned" what could be improved for the future of sharing knowledge. And to increase efficiency for both - the particiants and me.

The evaluation from my point of view:

The offer to setup a workshop gathered about 40 people interested and supported by me. But just about a hand full of guys got finally through it.
All the others took the support and jumped off! That is inefficient from my standpoint as it is my time.

The videos I put on youtube were rather short and bad in resolution ... and they took a looong time to upload (I have a last mile connection which seems to be more like a green mile ( waiting for dead)). That is also a problem to be solved.

Further - I actually have some perspectives on a new job and also have to spend time on this, so real time support might be complicated for the next time....

To make it short:

I had the following idea (I know it is not new) and it might be indiscussable for some of you, but it eases my efforts and gives you guys the better support in final. But it is not solvable on zero cost!

( This is actually an idea and still far from decision for execution

I'll start a poll: 5 planes in mind, as I would like to avoid to setup the 5th Focke Wulf 190 !

After some time I would plan and prototype of one of the most promising.

I would setup a video / DVD based tutorial and sell it in combination with the plans for a price of 20 to 25 Euro

I know that "Business Case" is another thing and I just would have to equal my efforts.

Now what would you think?

Motto could be -

The pacific war

The planes could be :

Heavy attacker - A1 Skyraider ( I don't like her, but as it is a seldom seem plane....) OR Aichi D3A1

Fighter - P36 Hawk (Beautyful as she is) OR Kawanishi J6K

Ground attack - P47 Thunderbold (Bubble TOP or Razorback ) OR Mitsubishi J2M Raiden

A torpedo bomber - SB2C Curtis Helldiver OR - Nakajima B6N2 "Tenzan"

Biplane/ Reconnaisance: Vought SBU1 OR Kawasaki Ki10

YOUR OPINION WOULD BE APPRECIATED!! Comments on the poll, too!

Hansjoerg
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
Last edited by Harpye; Aug 23, 2010 at 04:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2010, 02:31 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Seems that the Hawk is not that popular! ( and a little lower response than I expected after the emails and requests of the last months..)

Perhaps I should ignore the poll and go for the A1 ... in that case I probably at least would have the weapons lobby right behind me

Last edited by Harpye; Aug 01, 2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2010, 05:08 PM
Not always grumpy!!
UK, Eastleigh, Eastleigh
Joined Jul 2010
547 Posts
i am new to this forum so i hope im excused

being british. i love the spitfire

but, from the american builds of ww2, the a1 was an incrediable plane.

i believe it was one of the very few planes to shoot down a jet awsome fire power.

i would go for that,

the p51 has been done. (i know it was not on the list)

but what about the F4F wildcat
insomaniac45 is offline Find More Posts by insomaniac45
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2010, 05:32 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Hello Insomaniac!

There is nothing to be excused... (except my English )

I also love the spit - but already have one ...

About the F4F - I guess Parkzone came up with that plane ... so I don't have to compete... ( I thought about a Tigercat, but remembered that starting a new building technology with a 2 mot could be a it too difficult !!!! )

you know the film Waynes World??? ...heared anything about the "forbidden titles" ... when you are going to by a guitar ... entering the shop there is a big sign telling ...please NO Stairway to Heaven!! ( would probably be the same like ... No Nothing else Matters)... building a mode,l his means to me ... No Me109 , No Fw190 and No Mustang ... all three planes are awesome but standing in the row with the 10th or 20th P51 - even if she is scratchbuilt is a No Go..

Ok... and as I got bored this afternoon .... may I introduce ... the ugly pig!! WIP state
Old Aug 02, 2010, 07:39 AM
Joined Jan 2009
196 Posts
Hi Harpy

I am so glad you are doing another "tutorial" I have subscribed and will be following with interest. Its funny that just the other day my little boy asked when we were going to build a Thunderbolt, so it gets my vote, but the one in picture looks some mean bird.
SA/RCFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SA/RCFlyer
Old Aug 02, 2010, 12:12 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Cool Thunderbold is a rather easy built as long as you do the couwling in vac forming technique... the A1 is the more challenging and offers a wide spectrum of details ... like the folding wings or the 90 retracts ... and you are called to get her in armor many details ... we will see ... the main problem is to find the time to get a true workshop scheduled ( see the issues above... but the disk and some additional help should fix the time problem ... ( but the creation phase of the disk may still last some time ...

and it is rather challenging to me and my PC ( all the CAD Captures until this state are a memory volume of appr 200 GIGABYTE!!! Ultra high definition resolution make it possible!
Old Aug 03, 2010, 12:36 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Little bit of a video ( sorry about the Youtube quality - the original is MP2 in very high resolution ( 10 Min ~ 2,2 Gigabyte ) but here is the youtube limit!!!)

Very coarse skin model .. to be further detailed

A1 H Skyraider Surface Model (9 min 15 sec)

Hansjoerg
Old Aug 03, 2010, 05:23 AM
Moscow, Russia
Joined Dec 2009
36 Posts
Hi, Harpye! I'm novice in RC modeling and in the RCGroups. In spite of this I have one model that has been built using your technology (maiden done).
I'd like to take part in group building as a new experience. Don't you think the Tigercat would be the challenge not only for the audience but for you also? Isn't this the way to break routine you complained some time ago? I guess project difficulty doesn't effect on the number of made planes, but on the pleasure
h-pilot is offline Find More Posts by h-pilot
Old Aug 03, 2010, 10:22 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
H- Pilot : regarding the plane would you mind posting a picture of your plane??? /( just asked curiously).

regarding the tigercat ... It is not much of a challenge to me but surely would be one for the participants .. and starting with a new technology - most of the others would do this ... combined with the effort of a twin mot built ... guess this would be a bit too much for some!!!

I already spent some time thinking about that one but did not proceed

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2943180
Old Aug 03, 2010, 11:07 AM
Moscow, Russia
Joined Dec 2009
36 Posts
Harpye, I am not shure if I have any rights to post my pictures in your thread, but if you ask...
http://radikal.ru/F/s45.radikal.ru/i...a3492.jpg.html
http://radikal.ru/F/s49.radikal.ru/i...0f332.jpg.html
The Yak3 has been made on base of Depronator's plans. It is not finished yet.
I have not any doubt about your mastership, but I'd vote on Tigercat in case it were in the vote list. The 3D model is very attractive!
What the new technology do you plan to use?
Last edited by h-pilot; Aug 09, 2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old Aug 03, 2010, 11:23 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
I know Juris Jak - she is a beauty!

and yours looks that good!!

Look forward to see that bird in colors!!!

I decided not to put 2 mots on the list sorry ! also did some thoughts about a Me110 or a PE2 but decided to go for 1 mot at this time! - no Tigercat for today - sorry!!!
Old Aug 03, 2010, 11:34 AM
Moscow, Russia
Joined Dec 2009
36 Posts
So I stake on A1
Old Aug 03, 2010, 01:39 PM
Not always grumpy!!
UK, Eastleigh, Eastleigh
Joined Jul 2010
547 Posts
i would love to be able to use that program i tried and failed miserably. i wanted to make it so i could build planes to fly in fsx
insomaniac45 is offline Find More Posts by insomaniac45
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2010, 01:59 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
I did another WOrkshop some years ago ...so if you want to take a second chance ... you will find the step for step tutorial including the files on my homepage....
Old Aug 03, 2010, 05:02 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
To be continued

A1 H Skyraider Inner Structure (9 min 59 sec)