SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 30, 2010, 06:57 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,398 Posts
Rant
US politicians think they run all countries...

Is it me, or does the US Senate enquiry into the Megrahi release come across as US politicians thinking they have a right to interfere with any decisions that other countries may make?

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't know what shenanigans went on to release him - but it's absolutely got bugger all to do with the US - apart from they may not have liked it.

"We invited these people to come and answer questions" but when that invitation is refused it's "they are stonewalling and lack courage"! Arrogant !

I suppose the US would also like to attend the UK Parliamentary investigation into why Iraq was invaded, with the resulting deaths of many British lives - yeah, and there'd be snow in Hell this Christmas!

So, they'll say they'll send Senate members here to question the politicians - that's fine - bring plenty of coffee and sandwiches 'coz if it was me I'd have you sit in the reception for a day or 2 - cheeky sods!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20100730/...a-dba1618.html
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Jul 30, 2010, 06:58 AM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
They must! Why else would you guys be so damn interested?
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:04 AM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Knifemaker View Post
They must! Why else would you guys be so damn interested?
Well when they start getting into a nasty little habit of invading countries that don't follow the USA, Coke and Hollywood mantra, then they are worthy of attention.
Plus and this is just for this forum, sometimes its worth being interested because it seems to wind some of you up
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:09 AM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
Well when they start getting into a nasty little habit of invading countries that don't follow the USA, Coke and Hollywood mantra, then they are worthy of attention.
Plus and this is just for this forum, sometimes its worth being interested because it seems to wind some of you up
So your politicians follow ours blindly?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:11 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,398 Posts
Quote:
Obviously not - 'coz they've told them to bugger off regarding the Senate investigation!
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:16 AM
Joined Jan 2005
615 Posts
Quote:
Did not say that, but it has happened.
Fortunately the Scottish politicians seem to have more gumption than Tony Blair.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:16 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
Obviously not - 'coz they've told them to bugger off regarding the Senate investigation!
Wot E sed

It has 'eff all' to do with them - it's a Scottish matter - end of!
ENGINETORQUE is online now Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:18 AM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,640 Posts
To answer the question posed on the OP, yeah, I think US officials often stick their nose where it doesn't belong.

As for this specific case, the criminal act at the heart of the matter involved a US registered civil aircraft, and US citizens. I think it only reasonable that the US have some input on the matter.
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:19 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring View Post
To answer the question posed on the OP, yeah, I think US officials often stick their nose where it doesn't belong.

As for this specific case, the criminal act at the heart of the matter involved a US registered civil aircraft, and US citizens. I think it only reasonable that the US have some input on the matter.
Some input - agreed
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:19 AM
Joined Jan 2005
615 Posts
Quote:

So, they'll say they'll send Senate members here to question the politicians - that's fine - bring plenty of coffee and sandwiches 'coz if it was me I'd have you sit in the reception for a day or 2 - cheeky sods!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20100730/...a-dba1618.html
I would be telling them to bring their fishing rods and sit them by Loch Ness, Because they would have more chance of catching the monster than talking to me.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:20 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,699 Posts
Quote:
Good! At an 11% approval rating, US Congress isn't even popular with Americans. While I can't legally thumb my nose at a congressional subpoena, I can refuse to testify once before them.
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:23 AM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
So you feel that the release of migrahe was all fine and dandy?? We had no right to question it?? You guys are so worried about how the US is perceived internationally, you need to look in the mirror.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:27 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
It's our fault you guys follow us blindly no matter what stupid things we do. It's so clear and obvious I don't know how anybody could miss it.
saltyzoo is offline Find More Posts by saltyzoo
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:28 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,706 Posts
We try to help we get trashed. We don't and we get trashed. SOP for the world community. For the record I am against our getting involved in others affairs especially when it costs us billions to do so
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:28 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Quote:
So you feel that the release of migrahe was all fine and dandy?? We had no right to question it?? You guys are so worried about how the US is perceived internationally, you need to look in the mirror.
I think it was hugely wrong to release him - I suspect there was a deal done that INCLUDED the US administration - not that we'll ever find out!