HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2001, 12:01 AM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
Very cool tri motor v tailed Twinstar at Fly in

Just thought I'd mention this. I attended the Devil Mtn.Fly In in Northern Ca. this weekend. I witnessed several flights of a VERY cool Twinstar that a gentleman brought with him

He had mounted a third speed 400 on the top center of the wing in a pylon, and had converted the plane to a v tail config. He had also added some Zagi type wingtips to the plane.

The flight performance of this plane was unreal. It was wayyyyy faster and more acrobatic then ANY Twinstar that I've evr seen. He was zooming around doing rolls and all kinds of acrobatics.

Maybe he can step forward and post some pics, I believe he was a Zoner.

His hat with all the little planes sticking out of it was also way cool. I wish I'd gotten his name---Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2001, 07:39 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,477 Posts
Re: Very cool tri motor v tailed Twinstar at Fly in

Quote:
Originally posted by slowflyer
It was wayyyyy faster and more acrobatic then ANY Twinstar that I've evr seen. He was zooming around doing rolls and all kinds of acrobatics.
????

Sounds like a cool conversion, but the stock Twin Star on 8 cells will do most things if you increase the control throws (aileron & rudder a lot, elevator a little).

Mine (with the added weight & drag of a trike u/c) happily does any simple roll/loop manoeuvre (including cuban 8s, immelmans, reversals etc.), spins, snap (flick) rolls, etc. It will even do outside loops, but this is a bit of a struggle (not surprising, given the wing section). Stall turns were difficult until I fitted gearboxes and 11" props, it now does those nicely too (I think there's some propwash over the rudder which wasn't there before).

With the specified control throws it's pretty sedate though.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover