SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:09 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,712 Posts
Discussion
Already got a job from the newspaper story

I get a call today from someone outside of town that had read the newspaper story about our aerial company in todays paper.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1283163

He told me I had a service he didn't know he needed till now. He is a professor at the big university and works with the art department on projects. He has a 10 acre prairie in his property and is working with the art department to create a neon light show on it for 4/15 of next spring. He wants me to take some aerial images next week to have for the artists to look at and make plans with. Then on the big unveiling on 4/15 next year he wants me to come out with the plane just before dusk (or early on the 16th as the sun comes up) and do a video flight of the display to show on their facebook/youtube/donor pages. Part of the grant he is applying for deals with how the art piece will be made available to the public. I was going to take my downlink and hook it up to a projection screen or a big TV and allow people on the ground to witness it from above....of course it's all weather permitting. He said if the weather sucked that day the whole thing is cancelled. It's a total crap shoot but should be fun to get involved in. I mentioned I can't fly at night but if I flew as the sun was setting the lights would be still show nicely and I am pretty sure the GoPro cam does well till it starts getting really dark.

I am charging $250 for the images next week and the stuff next year needs to be negotiated. I also pitched the idea of letting me bring a crew to film all the setup by the artists to have a behind the scenes video for their website as well. The art project is called Prairie Light or The Greater Cooksville Neon Invitational. The rural address is in a tiny town called Cooksville. Should be fun. But if nothing else I made $250 from it. :-)I am taking the Heptad for the initial photos next week but also taking my little back up AP trainer plane. I have the ability to point the cam more downward with that setup and it may be just the look they are after.

I know very few newspaper articles get us business but at least for me it netted me one shoot so I am pretty pumped. I have no delusions this is going to make the aerial venture huge or grow significantly. Is just nice to be know around town for it cause people talk about it and occasionally hire you.

frogman1206 is offline Find More Posts by frogman1206
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:23 PM
My Karma ran over my Dogma
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2010
950 Posts
Very cool, congrats frogman!
fireslayer26 is offline Find More Posts by fireslayer26
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:50 PM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,041 Posts
Face these into the foam, the whole plane will glow, you will be able to fly at night.
Flying-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:53 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
Face these into the foam, the whole plane will glow, you will be able to fly at night.
So what are "these". Did you forget a pic or a link?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:56 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,049 Posts
Flying at night is a challenge you can overcome. Pictures at night is another story
Nice job on landing the job!

Mike
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:03 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,712 Posts
I know night flying is a possibility because you can add lights to the plane and I wouldn't be opposed to doing that. My concern is when you are flying at night is how to know where the trees are and judging the distance after dark so you don't fly into them. If this goes through maybe I can setup a plane with lights over the winter and practice over the winter.

I know night photo or video is more challenging but remember it would be filming a light show in the prairie. All that needs to be picked up by the cams is the lights and not the ground and foliage. That may be possible. The signal would be a little noisy in the blacks but it can be partially fixed in post by "crushing" the blacks (that editor speak there). My biggest concern is trees as there are trees around the edge of the field. The good part is the flight path coming in over the prairie in the direction I would want to fly is wide open with no trees so that helps. I may have to look into some lights.

Now if I could get a tri and learn to fly it by April it would be a perfect setup to hover and show the show.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:08 PM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogman1206 View Post
So what are "these". Did you forget a pic or a link?
errrrrrrrr...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ip-White_(1mtr)
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:18 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,712 Posts
Quote:
Those are pretty cool and may have to go on my wishlist.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:27 PM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,041 Posts
They are too bright if you face them outward.

I cut a groove into the foam, then secured them in with packing tape.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:37 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,712 Posts
Quote:
They are too bright if you face them outward.

I cut a groove into the foam, then secured them in with packing tape.
So did you mount them with the light toward the foam so the foam absorbs the light. Just wondering. Did you do all one color or different colors for the wings and fuse?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 02:23 AM
Mmmm...balsa dust!
Casa Grande, AZ
Joined Jan 2005
176 Posts
Make enough money from your hobby and it becomes a business and then you can deduct your "business expenses" on your taxes.

My wife sells just enough of her artwork most years that we can deduct her art supplies on our income tax. It's not a big deal but when you can defray some of the expenses it's nice to do so.

Make sure to see a proper tax accountant about it though, the government can be picky about such things.

Doug
vintagemxr is offline Find More Posts by vintagemxr
Old Jul 30, 2010, 06:12 AM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogman1206 View Post
So did you mount them with the light toward the foam so the foam absorbs the light. Just wondering. Did you do all one color or different colors for the wings and fuse?
I did mine on the hobbyzone supercub.

Lights faced into the foam.

In that case I had different colors on the wings, all white on the body.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 06:38 AM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemxr View Post
Make enough money from your hobby and it becomes a business and then you can deduct your "business expenses" on your taxes.

My wife sells just enough of her artwork most years that we can deduct her art supplies on our income tax. It's not a big deal but when you can defray some of the expenses it's nice to do so.

Make sure to see a proper tax accountant about it though, the government can be picky about such things.

Doug
It already is a business expense. It is part of my video production company. I've already have a few jobs that were legit where it was part of the offerings. It's already a tax deduction.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 09:01 AM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,368 Posts
Well done! It is one more step in you line of business! Anything that can increase your income is great!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:01 AM
I fly with my little eye
Lancashire, England
Joined Jul 2005
1,835 Posts
"It is just nice to be known around town for it causes people to talk about it and occasionally hire you."

Absolutely right Frogman!

Who knows where your talent, skill and enthusiasm for RCAP/AV will lead. I find that each fresh year brings unique opportunities and experiences. You meet with interesting people and see a refreshing angle on life.

This in itself is more of a reward than the elusive "big time" which some folks seem to crave.

Cheers

Andrew
Swanlander is offline Find More Posts by Swanlander