HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2010, 06:59 PM
USA, OH, Columbus
Joined Dec 2008
63 Posts
Question
Scientific models,inc

Does anyone remember the Scientific Model airplanes of the 1960s and seventies? I'm hoping someone out there might tell me if these airplanes are still available, or obtainable. Not much on E Bay, an old friend of mine had the "Little Stinker" Biplane, I think it was designed after The Pitts Special. He used to fly it off a tether pole to entertain the kids, it wwas fairly small, and I think it was from solid balsa stock. I would like to build one of these little guys for nostalgia, and to adorn my bar with many other old Guillows, and Sterling Balsa legends....Thank You..
frankolin42 is offline Find More Posts by frankolin42
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:19 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Rex, NC "Extreme Boonies"
Joined Jan 2002
2,355 Posts
well...

about the best spot IS Ebay,.. I used to buy a bunch there. But you can do a google search for Scientific models and get some sites that sell the old vintage models. They aren't as cheap as the $2.95 I paid for them in the 60's,.. but You'll probably find something you like! I bet I built about evey one they had,.. and wrecked the all! Bob
Demon-Leather is offline Find More Posts by Demon-Leather
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:33 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Rex, NC "Extreme Boonies"
Joined Jan 2002
2,355 Posts
Try here...

http://www.densmodelsupplies.co.uk/d...8&active_page= It may help get an idea... Bob
Demon-Leather is offline Find More Posts by Demon-Leather
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:14 PM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
The Little Stinker came and quickly left our store downtown. It was powered by a Cox .020, whereas the full majority of A/C the store got were using the Cox Baby Bee. The A/C was also kitted by Berkeley, and Walt Musciano (of New Jersey) did the majority of the plans for the company.

The 1960's may ahve been their heyday, but they began in the 1950's selling wooden wonders that flew poorly, unless it said different on the box.

Wm.
coosbaylumber is offline Find More Posts by coosbaylumber
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:48 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
This takes me back - built Scientific's C/L`Super Stuntmaster' and the `Stuka Divebomber' with Cox .049's in the early `60's. Looking back on `em, they were nothing special, but they flew and I thought they were great at the time!
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Jul 30, 2010, 02:23 AM
Telford,PA.USA
Joined Apr 2007
77 Posts
Lil Stinker

Try Black Hawk Models, They have a Pitts Special that is real close to the Scientific Models kit. They are producing a lot of Musciano designs that were done by Scientific.
dartgw is offline Find More Posts by dartgw
Old Jul 31, 2010, 03:36 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
Right. Blackhawk Models has issued reproductions of many of the old Scientific logs, and even a couple of the built up and larger Scientific planes. Their little Stinker, like most of the line recommended a range from .020 to .074 or .049 to .099. I think Walt Musciano seemed to mostly use the O. K. Cub line of engines for his designs. They were MUCH better flyers than the Cox plastic ARFs. I had many of those things.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Jul 31, 2010, 01:50 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,776 Posts
Somewhere in these threads I saw a post containing two catalog sheets of Scientific Models offerings...lots of 1/2A pics. Anyone else come across those? It would be nice to post 'em here.

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Jul 31, 2010, 01:59 PM
Joined Oct 2009
3 Posts
Hi everyone you should try out an ebay seller calling himself partkit seller does really good deals on vintage plans and kits !!!! you would be missing out if you dont.
BARRYFU2 is offline Find More Posts by BARRYFU2
Old Jul 31, 2010, 03:08 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
These probably aren't the ones refered to, but they are what I currently have. Someday I'll have the time to go through some of my older mags and scan some more in. I actually still have a flyable Big Otto with a Black Widow .049. It's about 38 years old. I think my second oldest plane.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Jul 31, 2010, 04:30 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,776 Posts
That's the idea though; I went back and looked at my copies and the two sheets I'm thinking of came from American Modeler, February 1961, pg. 38 and 39. I don't have a scanner so I cannot post them. I'll keep looking for the source of those copies as they sure do bring on the fond memories.

Joe
Old Jul 31, 2010, 09:28 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,234 Posts
Hello, I have about 30 Scientific Control line model plans in my collection. Let me know what models you want, I can scan and send as email attachment with my compliments.
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Jul 31, 2010, 09:45 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,776 Posts
Ed, can you forward those scans to Planeman? Perhaps he can clean them up and place PDF files for download on the Vintage and Old Timer thread for everyone to enjoy? I know I'd like to see the Kingpin, Little Stinker and the Stunt Trainer to name a few.

Joe
Old Jul 31, 2010, 09:49 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,234 Posts
I have the Li'l Stinker and the Stunt trainer in my collection and several others, I will contact Rufus (planeman) to see if he's interested. Best wishes!!
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:36 PM
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Mar 2003
310 Posts
A few years ago, the AMA Museum in Muncie had, as part of their control-line display, an exhibit featuring many of the old Scientific "balsa-log" models from the 50's. I'm guessing there were 30-40 such models, and they appeared to be the actual ones used in the advertising materials from that period, not restorations or reproductions. I was surprised that somebody had preserved them, as storing old models is problematic, the company is defunct, and it has probably been almost 40 years since anybody actually bought one.

I'll bet somebody out there took pictures of that exhibit, and with a little cajoling, might be persuaded to share those pictures with us.
Ojimy is offline Find More Posts by Ojimy