HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2001, 12:52 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Partenavia Tx/Rx & Setup Questions

At last, my Kavin Partenavia kit has arrived! Looks like I have alot of work ahead of me before it's madien voyage. I know that quite a few people have built this model and can offer some great advise. I did not order any of the electronics or motors yet because I am not sure how I should set it up.

I currently have a older non-computerized Futaba 6 channel radio with the big 6 channel Rx and servos that will prob not applicable for this project. I got this free from a heli flying buddy to use with a free .60 gas Hobbyco trainer I got from my AMA instructor. I have progressed quite far in my training and am working on my landing at the field (already landing in realflight G2). This is not the system Iwant to stick with. I would like digital trim storage and flaperons as well as the ability to fly Micro Helis next spring. What Tx/Rx are some of you Partenavia owners using? Do any of you fly Micro Helis too? I heard that they can just use a standard 4 channel radio.... Anyway, I was thinking of getting the following setup:

(Please offer any advise)
- Standard 480 motors and props
- Castle Pegasus 35 ESC ($43 from eflightpacks.com and only .75 oz)
- JR R610 Micro Rx .46oz
- JR 331 Servos .63oz
- E8 CP2400 9.6 V Battery ($47 from eflightpacks.com)
- SOME computerized Tx that can fly most electric aircraft and Micro Heli's. Since I am starting from scratch with a computerized radio setup, I figure I could get a JR flexpac setup and not be stuck with a useless fullsize flight pack, only to have buy micro gear. This will be a selling point for me. I would really like to get an XP8103, but hard to justifly that for park flyers, 480 electrics and Micro-Heli's.

Is the Partenavia difficult to trim out? Are Flaporons useful for slower more controled landings?

HELP!
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2001, 01:20 AM
Flys with Thumbs
Frisco, TX, USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,858 Posts
Obviously, I can't address your financial status and therefore can't contribute to that end of a decision...

What I can say: After years of buying cheap 4 channel radios I finally broke down and bought a JR XP8103 a couple of months ago. I love it. It was the right decision for me. I'm currently flying a Zagi 400x, a Multiplex Twinstar, and a GWS Tiger Moth from this radio. Soon to try helicopters...!

The other radio I strongly considered, and would recommend if money is the issue: Multiplex Cockpit.
Danal Estes is offline Find More Posts by Danal Estes
Old Oct 02, 2001, 01:31 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Thanks, for the info. I just noticed on another thread about someone getting a Futaba 8UHFS from brucknerhobbies.com for $249. If this is the case, then I might be able to just get the TX and still be able to use all of the Futabe gear that I already have (.60 trainer with servos and rx on channel 25), then get the Hitec 555 rx and the Hs-81 servos for this model. Then I can have the Trim Memory, Timer and anything I can ever need for planes and helis.....Hummm

The best I could find a XP8103 Tx only w/o Tx module is $349 and the Tx module is $59..ouch
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Oct 04, 2001, 06:52 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,426 Posts
Cactus,

Just be grateful you aren't in the UK! A UK version of the 8103 would cost you approx 430 dollars.

(Aren't we the lucky ones! )

Cheers,
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam