Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:13 PM
Joined Nov 2004
857 Posts
I'm running the biggest pinion and the smallest spur included with the car. It'll definitely pick up some speed just from that, even on a stock motor + 2s lipo.
ho50ca is offline Find More Posts by ho50ca
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:30 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ho50ca View Post
I'm running the biggest pinion and the smallest spur included with the car. It'll definitely pick up some speed just from that, even on a stock motor + 2s lipo.
Thanks. I was concerned that I may burn up the stock motor with 2s LiPo & the tall gears.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2011, 04:51 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,437 Posts
SCT hatcam video

Here's a hatcam clip of the SCT in my driveway & on the street. Fun, but she could use a bit more speed outdoors. I am definitely going brushless when the 2.4 GHz conversion kit comes out. At 2:10, I managed to plant her on her side while jumping the bump at the entrance to my driveway.

Losi 1/24th-scale Micro SCT - having fun on asphalt (6 min 36 sec)

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2011, 05:19 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,783 Posts
Get a lipo pack before you spend the money on 2.4ghz and brushless. The speed difference from the lipo is greater than the difference from the brushless motor.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:49 PM
Joined Nov 2004
857 Posts
That's vid's a good comparo...mine's about 3X as fast as that, even on 7.4

11.1 should be excellent....
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:05 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Get a lipo pack before you spend the money on 2.4ghz and brushless. The speed difference from the lipo is greater than the difference from the brushless motor.
As I stated in my first post and also in the video details - I'm already running 240 mAh 2s LiPo packs.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2011, 07:16 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,783 Posts
You might want to give this a read before shelling out about $100 on the 2.4ghz/brushless upgrade:

http://www.microtforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9410

The Micro T on stock tires only gained a few mph going from the stock motor to the 10250 kv brushless motor with the stock tires. Not sure if the SCT/rally has multiple pinions available, but even with the biggest pinion you won't be seeing a huge improvement in speed IMO. Bigger pinion = more heat and less run time as well.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 09:55 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
You might want to give this a read before shelling out about $100 on the 2.4ghz/brushless upgrade:

http://www.microtforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9410

The Micro T on stock tires only gained a few mph going from the stock motor to the 10250 kv brushless motor with the stock tires. Not sure if the SCT/rally has multiple pinions available, but even with the biggest pinion you won't be seeing a huge improvement in speed IMO. Bigger pinion = more heat and less run time as well.
WP,

Thanks for the link! Wow - lots of great info there. Of particular interest is how well the brushed BB2 does against the 2s brushless setups in the T.

BTW - the SCT comes with three pinions (10, 12, 14T) & two spur gears (54, 58T). Given the SCT's greater weight & air drag, and given the added parasitic drag of AWD, the SCT's acceleration & top end will no doubt be inferior to a similarly-equipped T.

Insane speed is not my primary motivation to do the conversion. At this scale, ~25 MPH would be plenty fast for me - considering that I plan to drive in the house on hardwood floors, and in the driveway on my ad-hoc track. I am mostly interested in the much better radio link performance & the 1024-step resolution of the Spektrum setup, plus the long life & consistent power of brushless. Sure, I'd like a few more MPH out of the deal, but setting speed records isn't my goal with this truck.

Regarding radio link performance - we are coming up on the peak of the ~11-year solar cycle, which governs all shortwave radio propagation. This means that a stock 4-watt CB radio can now easily talk many thousands of miles. As the solar cycle progresses, 27 MHz RC systems will be exposed to ever-increasing adjacent-channel interference from CB stations around the world. Adjacent-channel interference dramatically reduces range, and it is one of the primary sources of the glitches commonly experienced with 27 MHz RC systems. Also, there are CB operators who illegally modify their radios to operate right on the 27 MHz RC channels, which live in between the regular 40 CB channels. As the solar cycle progresses, more & more of those operators will be on the air, making world-wide contacts. During periods of high solar activity, it is very common for a signal that is many thousands of miles away to be stronger at the receiver than the signal from an RC transmitter that is only tens or hundreds of feet away. In fact, this type of interference is already happening. Additionally, even the low-power 27 MHz RC transmitters can be heard thousands of miles away during the solar peak. (I've listened to them many times over the decades on my ham radio equipment.) If your rx hears the distant transmitter better than it hears yours, the rx will likely respond to the distant transmitter.

The above is motivation enough for me to dump the 27 MHz 'toy band' in favor of a hobby-grade 2.4 GHz system.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2011, 01:39 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,783 Posts
Fair enough, I would look into other brushless options other than the ready to use losi package, you might find a better option. There's nothing wrong with the losi stuff, but it isn't the cheapest option.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 01:52 PM
Joined Nov 2004
857 Posts
guess I better keep running the car in the gym, lol, we're all gonna get baked brown by all this EMI :^)

I think the EDF 50 brushed motor is a really good option. It's super cheap (~10 bucks); it'll frag a low KV brushless (especially in the torque dept); it'll take 11.1 volts (just like BL); it runs really cool; it works with the stock receiver/esc gear. I'll post some vid later of it on 7.4 (I'm waiting on a delivery of 1S lipos to make an 11.1 pack).
Old Nov 15, 2011, 08:14 PM
Joined Nov 2004
857 Posts
Here's a short video taken with "hand-cam" while steering with my left thumb. Good thing I have long fingers

MVI_0020.MOV (0 min 10 sec)

This is EDF50, longest gears, 7.4 180 lipo. No rocket, to be sure but decent. It has a touch more punch on the 240 lipos I have with the jst connectors and 20 gauge wire, over these, which are super fine gauge wire Beast aircraft packs, with balance tap connectors.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:56 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,469 Posts
I just picked up one of these beauties. I am a total noob when it comes to RC cars. any way how to you take the wheels off lol. I managed to get the nut off, but the wheel remained firmly in place??

Should there be a delay between forwards and reverse??

Should the front wheels be pointing outwards??

Is it normal that when you go full throttle from a standing start it some times chugs??
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Last edited by valiantGLX; Nov 30, 2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 08:37 AM
Joined Nov 2004
857 Posts
Never taken the wheels off but, I bet it's just a firm tug, like alot of things on this car, removing the driveshaft, for example.

Anyway, yes, a small delay between forward and reverse is expected.

Yes, the wheels NEED to toe outward, especially on an AWD car, to pull the car into the turn and give quicker + camber gain on the inside wheel when the wheels turn. If they toed inward the car would turn like the Titanic.

Chugs out of the hole suggests maybe a slipper clutch too loose, wheelspin, a stripping pinion gear or poorly adjusted drive gear backlash. Try turning up the throttle trim knob on the throttle channel so the car just barely inches forward and back off just enough to get it to stop.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:44 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ho50ca View Post
Never taken the wheels off but, I bet it's just a firm tug, like alot of things on this car, removing the driveshaft, for example.

Anyway, yes, a small delay between forward and reverse is expected.

Yes, the wheels NEED to toe outward, especially on an AWD car, to pull the car into the turn and give quicker + camber gain on the inside wheel when the wheels turn. If they toed inward the car would turn like the Titanic.

Chugs out of the hole suggests maybe a slipper clutch too loose, wheelspin, a stripping pinion gear or poorly adjusted drive gear backlash. Try turning up the throttle trim knob on the throttle channel so the car just barely inches forward and back off just enough to get it to stop.
Thanks for the advice

where did you buy your brushed upgrade motor?? what should I search for when choosing a direct fit brushed upgrade motor?? Thanks in advance

I just bought a corvette body for it:

It should be a direct fit, with the wheels poking out a bit, if the measurements he gave me were correct. Im also going to kit it out with lights, and I already have a key chain cam which i am going to mount inside the cabin, looking through the front window.

I like the stock speed, but once I get used to it I will get the 7.4v lipo and a better brushed motor, but I have no intension of going 2.4ghz or brushless so it should be a pretty fun all round little car for about $150.
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:55 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,437 Posts
Guys,

I pretty much 'got the good' out of the original motor after a bunch of runs with my 2s Hyp packs. Is there any particular break-in procedure that I should follow on the stock replacement motor?

Joel
RCG Plus Member