SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 08, 2010, 02:42 AM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Bowerz's Avatar
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,796 Posts
That is incorrect. I have whitnessed both of them and they have exactly the same performance. Like you said they are both the same just differ in the body, body mounts/bumpers and wheel rims
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2010, 10:24 AM
Registered User
Mera'din's Avatar
Joined Dec 2006
846 Posts
Yes, they are the same cars as far as motor, driveline, etc... There are differences too and those make the cars very different.

First off, the SCT had better approach angles meaning that it could navigate rougher ground. We put a pinch in a rug and put a soup can under it while running around the kitchen. The Rally couldn't make it over the jump as the body would get caught.

The Rally has a larger body which I think slows it down just a little. It does help keep the car level over jumps where the SCT would nose dive.

The SCT exposed bumpers makes the car bounce off of objects better.

The SCT has a ever-so-slightly smaller diameter tire. I think this gives the truck a little more punch off the line. The Rally would catch up and out pace it in speed but on a short track we didn't have enough room to get to full speed.

For my taste the SCT just did better. Could be our trucks. Too bad as I really like the looks of the Rally better.
Mera'din is offline Find More Posts by Mera'din
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2010, 10:29 AM
Registered User
Mera'din's Avatar
Joined Dec 2006
846 Posts
FlyHeli (Rich),

Could you give me some details about how you got the futaba servo mounted? I am working on a brushless version and want to use a futaba 3114 as I have a few sitting around.

Also, the capacitor, I found one at the LHS and it hooks up tot he RX, is that where yours goes?
Mera'din is offline Find More Posts by Mera'din
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:33 AM
Registered User
Torch8's Avatar
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,272 Posts
I will be ordering 1/24 Rally car. Which spare stock parts to buy, most common replacements on this car?
Torch8 is offline Find More Posts by Torch8
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:23 AM
Registered User
Mera'din's Avatar
Joined Dec 2006
846 Posts
So far the only thing I have yet to replace due to incidence are the body clips! I haven't burned anything up or broke anything yet and I run this thing hard!

The stock AM radio on mine was junk from the start so I had the LHS warantee it. I have since changed to brushless and 2.4ghz.

What I would order is an extra set of clips if you have big fingers like me, a diff gear set for when you wear the stocks out. Some have never done this, I have but that is a different story. I think mine wore out from the bearing shim kit I was told to add. I don't advise it. Just run it stock and enjoy it.

Oh yeah, batteries, lots and lots of batteries!
Mera'din is offline Find More Posts by Mera'din
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:51 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
A Rdnek's Avatar
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mera'din View Post
So far the only thing I have yet to replace due to incidence are the body clips! I haven't burned anything up or broke anything yet and I run this thing hard!

The stock AM radio on mine was junk from the start so I had the LHS warantee it. I have since changed to brushless and 2.4ghz.

What I would order is an extra set of clips if you have big fingers like me, a diff gear set for when you wear the stocks out. Some have never done this, I have but that is a different story. I think mine wore out from the bearing shim kit I was told to add. I don't advise it. Just run it stock and enjoy it.

Oh yeah, batteries, lots and lots of batteries!
What brushless motor and ESC did you use? How do you keep it from overheating? I would go brushless too except I don't need or want more performance. I am getting rid of the stock AM radio by buying a DX3.0 transmitter (wanted one anyway) and an ESC/RX from a micro Crawler. I will stay with the brushed motor for now. I also ordered the tiny cooling fan from thetoys.
http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...name=HEATSINKS
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Last edited by A Rdnek; Dec 13, 2010 at 10:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:25 PM
Registered User
Mera'din's Avatar
Joined Dec 2006
846 Posts
Right now I am using a Losi 1/36 scale system with the 8750kv motor. I am also using a Traxxas 2.4ghz link receiver.

My goal was also to get rid of the am system and I figured that I would also upgrade to a more efficient system. I thought the stock speed was a lot of fun and didn't need more speed.

I think I want to get rid of it in favor of a different solution. I haven't had a problem with the motor getting too hot. I run it for about 10 minutes at a time and at the end the motor isn't hot at all. I can still touch it.
Mera'din is offline Find More Posts by Mera'din
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:39 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
A Rdnek's Avatar
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mera'din View Post
Right now I am using a Losi 1/36 scale system with the 8750kv motor. I am also using a Traxxas 2.4ghz link receiver.

My goal was also to get rid of the am system and I figured that I would also upgrade to a more efficient system. I thought the stock speed was a lot of fun and didn't need more speed.

I think I want to get rid of it in favor of a different solution. I haven't had a problem with the motor getting too hot. I run it for about 10 minutes at a time and at the end the motor isn't hot at all. I can still touch it.
I have read that a lot of people have trouble with that LOSI 1/36 system, and do not like it very well. Do you think the 8750 motor is a lot faster than stock?
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:46 AM
Registered User
Mera'din's Avatar
Joined Dec 2006
846 Posts
Yes, it is. I think that is the problem. The 8750 kv is much faster than the stock setup. When I compared a stock run to the brushless, the brushless beat it hands down. I think the 8750 with a 4-cell nimh performs about the same as the stock running a 2-cell lipo.

I will report back when I get my 4500kv motor.
Mera'din is offline Find More Posts by Mera'din
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:20 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2009
172 Posts
The 1/36 scale Xcelorin systems, TA14K, and other similar combinations are fine while running with 2S LiPo at a 20-25C rating but once you start getting into the 3S you are pushing it. The SCT/Rally has very poor ventilation over the motor in its stock compartment so you need to keep an eye out on motor temps. Just a heads up on that.
Paintrain is offline Find More Posts by Paintrain
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 04:07 PM
Let's get low, let's get fast.
kilgore_trout's Avatar
USA, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Dec 2009
311 Posts
There is a guy selling metal pinions for the Rally on Ebay. I got some. Best investment for the car yet, other than ditching all the crap electronics and converting to spektrum and brushless. BTW, with a decent tx, you can just adjust the throttle range to bring a super-fast car under control indoors...

If you want to try and keep the stock electronics, go for an Atomic BB motor (atomicmods.com). It gives much better performance, even on a Nihm battery.

I wish there was a more active forum for this car here, but if you need anything, go to microtforum.com. There is a a whole lot of material over there that just isn't on rcgroups (more is the pity).
kilgore_trout is offline Find More Posts by kilgore_trout
Last edited by kilgore_trout; Dec 29, 2010 at 04:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:55 PM
Registered User
United States, WI, Franklin
Joined Oct 2005
28 Posts
Just picked up the sct and looking to do different wheels. I heard the rally tire/wheels are a little bigger? Can someone with the rally messure there wheels Im a little curious? Thanks.
ruststang94 is offline Find More Posts by ruststang94
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2011, 10:06 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2008
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgore_trout View Post
There is a guy selling metal pinions for the Rally on Ebay. I got some. Best investment for the car yet, other than ditching all the crap electronics and converting to spektrum and brushless. BTW, with a decent tx, you can just adjust the throttle range to bring a super-fast car under control indoors...

If you want to try and keep the stock electronics, go for an Atomic BB motor (atomicmods.com). It gives much better performance, even on a Nihm battery.

I wish there was a more active forum for this car here, but if you need anything, go to microtforum.com. There is a a whole lot of material over there that just isn't on rcgroups (more is the pity).
So the atomic motor will drop straight in with out any problems,,,, I might consider this along with a lipo
jaejw1 is offline Find More Posts by jaejw1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2011, 10:20 AM
Registered User
Mera'din's Avatar
Joined Dec 2006
846 Posts
There is a thread over on the micro t site on this drop in motor. They are reporting overheating issues and melting pinions with this setup too.
Mera'din is offline Find More Posts by Mera'din
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2011, 10:44 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2008
19 Posts
Wow,,,, looks like I will be doing that brushless combo
jaejw1 is offline Find More Posts by jaejw1
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion losi micro 1/24 scale crawler mods custom t Rock Crawlers 0 Feb 15, 2010 10:58 PM
Discussion what is a good 1/10 scale electric rally car ? mortonj69 Off-road Cars 3 Jan 02, 2010 11:39 PM
For Sale perfect condition 1/8th scale 4WD gas powered racing car MRX-3 made by Mugen Seiki warming Cars - Cars and Parts (FS/W) 0 Dec 01, 2009 05:13 PM
Discussion losi 1/24 micro crawler specriv Micro Cars 4 Oct 17, 2009 07:59 PM