SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:17 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,468 Posts
I've had both. Definitely go with the 2.4 GHz brushless version! Not only is it faster - it's more efficient, and you won't be replacing motors all the time. Also, there is a huge difference in resolution between the toy-grade 27 MHz AM tx/rx and the Spektrum 2.4 GHz system. Compared to the Spektrum DSM system, the 27MHz system is like driving a car with shot ball-joints, bad tie-rod ends, and a half-turn of play in the wheel!

Stick with the factory NiMH packs for the youngsters, and pick up a few aftermarket 2s LiPo packs for the oldsters.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Jan 2005
139 Posts
Appreciate the advice, thanks!
mdelling is offline Find More Posts by mdelling
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:07 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryfrog View Post
Thanks, I'll order those pinions. I'd be open to aluminium parts for things that might break easily, but after bashing this little thing around it seems like the cover does a good job of protecting most of it. I am a little disappointed in the steering, maybe a strong spring on the servo saver. When you turn left and go back to straight, it goes left a little... and when you turn right and go back to straight, it goes right a little.

Are there any parts that tend to break? I like to have a couple spares on hand for frequently broken parts, but I've no idea what might break on these guys.
I have only broken the chassis and a front lower arm. The chassis was totally my fault, but the lower arm was wear and tear, so I replaced the fron and back lower arms with aluminium ones and I have never had any problems since with the arms.

EDIT: Also I forgot to mention one of my dogbones broke, and the front set of diff outdrives, It would be handy to have those as spares, and bot parts should cost no more than 10bux combined.
valiantGLX is online now Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Last edited by valiantGLX; Dec 11, 2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:12 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I've had both. Definitely go with the 2.4 GHz brushless version! Not only is it faster - it's more efficient, and you won't be replacing motors all the time. Also, there is a huge difference in resolution between the toy-grade 27 MHz AM tx/rx and the Spektrum 2.4 GHz system. Compared to the Spektrum DSM system, the 27MHz system is like driving a car with shot ball-joints, bad tie-rod ends, and a half-turn of play in the wheel!

Stick with the factory NiMH packs for the youngsters, and pick up a few aftermarket 2s LiPo packs for the oldsters.

Joel
+1

thats some sound advice.

My SCT started as a AM brushed car, but I got the 2.4 BL losi kit + 2s and WOW. Words cant describe the performance difference
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:23 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryfrog View Post
In my house, the car does *not* do very well on carpet. It requires a significant amount of throttle to get moving and quickly bogs down if you go to slowly. Outside, it goes fast and slow just fine on concrete and even blasts through wood chips.

I'm going to try using a smaller pinion and larger main gear to see if it'll help on carpet and that'd lower top speed as well if I cared about that much.
before going to the higher gear ratio try loosening the gear mesh ever so slightly. If the gears are jammed too close together it will cause unnecessary strain on the motor and your car will run louder too.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:55 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,792 Posts
PHOTO DUMP: Foam hot box, for below zero temps

This is a fully enclosed hot box, with an air circulation unit for running in freezing temperatures. The theory behind it is that the air enters the chassis from the top hits the warm esc, flows over the motor and through the battery compartment, finally being sucked through the cooling chamber (aluminium foil heat sink plate) and re circulated through the fan. This helps keep everything at a more desirable operating temperature for better performance, especially with the lipo. Also because it is fully enclosed no snow can get into the electronics now

Method behind the photo dump madness? Because there is a greater audience, and a plethora of losi micro info at www.microtforum.com, but I dont like their photo upload tool. So, I load the photos here, and then paste the links to the photos in between this [IMG](photo link here)[/IMG], to get wonderful big pictures on the micro T forum.
Last edited by valiantGLX; Jan 26, 2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:45 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,468 Posts
Excellent job on the cold-wx setup! Have you had a chance to see how it works? It's common for us to see highs of -10 F or colder for a number of days in a row during January & February. That might be just what I need.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:15 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Excellent job on the cold-wx setup! Have you had a chance to see how it works? It's common for us to see highs of -10 F or colder for a number of days in a row during January & February. That might be just what I need.

Joel
Thanks, give me an hour and you'll be even more impressed though.

I havent had a chance to try it yet out in the cold, but I there's no reason why it shouldnt work. Maybe if it was -10 F i'd consider removing the fan and making a foam flat top instead.

I've made plans for the basic hot box with a flat top (no cooling chamber, or cut out for the fan), if you want I can upload them. Sadly everything else on it I did freestyle (so no rear section, no front snow shield etc)

EDIT:

Snow shield? When I first ran my sct in the snow the section between the chassis and the body filled up with snow (thats why I bash it against the wall in my last vid, trying to get the snow out). So, I made the snow shield to stop the snow spraying off the tires and over the chassis. See the finished thing below.

Photo dump: snow shield + painted hot box
Last edited by valiantGLX; Jan 26, 2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:12 PM
Joined Jan 2005
139 Posts
I had another question regarding a car like this for my sons and me. Can this size car make it across short grass or is it limited to flat surfaces mostly? I know my kids will want something fast but they probably want some versatility in use. I'm also trying to keep the price under $150, a balancing act I know. I was thinking of something in the mini size but price starts climbing for decent quality.

Thanks again,
Mark
mdelling is offline Find More Posts by mdelling
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:54 PM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
I've run mine in wood chips, but only going between bits of pavement. It bounces around and is very unpredictable in the wood chips. I suspect it would be extremely fun in fairly clean dirt, but have no proof.

I have no evidence to prove it won't work, but I wouldn't take a "runs in grass" bet. IMHO, you're going to need something with tires that have a radius that are close to the depth of the grass.
fryfrog is offline Find More Posts by fryfrog
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:42 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelling View Post
I had another question regarding a car like this for my sons and me. Can this size car make it across short grass or is it limited to flat surfaces mostly? I know my kids will want something fast but they probably want some versatility in use. I'm also trying to keep the price under $150, a balancing act I know. I was thinking of something in the mini size but price starts climbing for decent quality.

Thanks again,
Mark
Short answer is no, it wont handle grass very well. The SCT/Rally/Truggy's are more directed at indoor use. If your children would have fun upgrading/modifying the car, you could put Truggy tires on an SCT which would handle the grass better.

I guess you are looking at these for a christmas present, so hobbyking stuff is out of the question, but if time wasnt an issue Id suggest these:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._SCT_ARR_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...io_System.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._GENUINE_.html

Thats everything you need under $150, includes hobby grade battery charger, top quality batteries, a computer radio (TX), and a good size 4x4 SCT

Heres a running vid:
Turnigy 1/16 Mini SCT Short Course Truck (4 min 29 sec)
Last edited by valiantGLX; Dec 11, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:54 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,792 Posts
photo dump
Last edited by valiantGLX; Jan 26, 2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:57 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,377 Posts
Just got my new servos in the mail...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24720

Someone had said these fit so hopefully they do. The stock servo is just terrible. I did the mod to the turning radius. I'm guessing they made the stock turning radius so bad because the servo can't handle being thrown that far. On the two trucks I have one would randomly stop working and the other would sputter real bad when put in a full turn. And both trucks probably only have about 3 hours use. For the $150 they charge for it you think they could spend a few cents more on a better servo.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:45 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Just got my new servos in the mail...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24720

Someone had said these fit so hopefully they do. The stock servo is just terrible. I did the mod to the turning radius. I'm guessing they made the stock turning radius so bad because the servo can't handle being thrown that far. On the two trucks I have one would randomly stop working and the other would sputter real bad when put in a full turn. And both trucks probably only have about 3 hours use. For the $150 they charge for it you think they could spend a few cents more on a better servo.
Nice, those servos are very good. Youll just need a piece of credit card to fit them
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:28 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,792 Posts
here's a vid of the sticky tape roll drift tires in action:

LOSI Micro SCT Sidewayz Action (6 min 32 sec)

remember watch in HD