HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:38 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,026 Posts
are any of these mini's water proof or water resistant?

or at least able to run in the snow?
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:06 PM
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Feb 2007
853 Posts
I am currently shopping for a truck for my son for x-mas. This will be his second truck. His first was the Monster XX, the Tamiya DF2 knock of from Walmart. I has been a great truck for 40 bucks. The ESC finally went on it though probably from running in wet conditions.

I know he is going to want to run it outside. I read that these trucks are not recommended for outdoor use. Is it going to kill it if hits a puddle or two?

Am I looking at the wrong truck. Problem. It's in my price range and its small enough we could set up a track in the basement.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.
tele1974 is offline Find More Posts by tele1974
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Taranis
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:04 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,465 Posts
Unfortunately the short answer is no, to both water and snow.

If you put a lot of work into it and waterproof all of the electronics by plastic dipping them with something like liquid tape, they can be made almost waterproof. I say almost because you cant really waterproof the Brushless motor.

Im going to run mine in the snow soon, but I have done a lot of small mods to allow this. for example, the side guards so its harder for snow to get up under the body, the hot box so the air holes are right up the top of the chassis now, the servo mod so snow cant be jammed inside the chassis.

@tele: It would make a good truck for your son, but he'll have to learn to respect and maintain the beast. Its not something that you can bash through puddles without properly preparing it to do so, also its not something that you should do donuts in the dirt with. If you keep it on paved surfaces and indoor circuits it will last for ever, If you want more out of it you'll have to do some small mods, namely what is mentioned above (snow is basically wet dirt to this truck)
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:42 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1974 View Post
I am currently shopping for a truck for my son for x-mas. This will be his second truck. His first was the Monster XX, the Tamiya DF2 knock of from Walmart. I has been a great truck for 40 bucks. The ESC finally went on it though probably from running in wet conditions.

I know he is going to want to run it outside. I read that these trucks are not recommended for outdoor use. Is it going to kill it if hits a puddle or two?

Am I looking at the wrong truck. Problem. It's in my price range and its small enough we could set up a track in the basement.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.
I would look at the Traxxas stuff. Many of their products come with water safe electronics. Though they don't have anything in 1/24 size but if you plan on using it outside a 1/16 or larger would be better in my opinion.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:45 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,465 Posts
LOSI Micro SCT Bashing Through the Snow.avi (6 min 45 sec)
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:10 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,026 Posts
so today I bought the losi mini 4x4 trekker and the thing is awesome.

I also bought some corrosion block and gave the electronics a good coating.

Question

Besides the issue with no LVC, can I use a 2S lipo?
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:55 AM
Joined Dec 2012
7 Posts
I am looking to pick up a Brushless sct or the rally car - , I really like the look of the rally but not sure if it will suit my driving surface, I have a micro DT and mostly drive it indoors on my wooden flooring and outside on my patio , I am worried the rally might be to low to the ground as my patio slabs have small bumps and not all level , My micro DT is fine and never scratched or touched them but it looks like the rally is closer to the ground level . I am still quite new to rc cars and really enjoy driving my micro DT and would like to try a 4DW round the same size and wonder which might be best SCT or rally?.
darrom is offline Find More Posts by darrom
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:19 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
so today I bought the losi mini 4x4 trekker and the thing is awesome.

I also bought some corrosion block and gave the electronics a good coating.

Question

Besides the issue with no LVC, can I use a 2S lipo?

2s will work, LOSI have an upgrade pack for it including charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrom View Post
I am looking to pick up a Brushless sct or the rally car - , I really like the look of the rally but not sure if it will suit my driving surface, I have a micro DT and mostly drive it indoors on my wooden flooring and outside on my patio , I am worried the rally might be to low to the ground as my patio slabs have small bumps and not all level , My micro DT is fine and never scratched or touched them but it looks like the rally is closer to the ground level . I am still quite new to rc cars and really enjoy driving my micro DT and would like to try a 4DW round the same size and wonder which might be best SCT or rally?.
You'll be more happy with the SCT heaps more clearance, better for jumping, etc. Also you can buy the bumpers, wheels and bodies separately, so you can change between sct/rally.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:29 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,026 Posts
Thanks

Do you have link for upgrades?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post

2s will work, LOSI have an upgrade pack for it including charger

You'll be more happy with the SCT heaps more clearance, better for jumping, etc. Also you can buy the bumpers, wheels and bodies separately, so you can change between sct/rally.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:53 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,418 Posts
Also - you can simply buy a 2.4 GHz brushless SCT for a lot less than it costs to upgrade the older version.

Eight inches of snow & climbing. We're supposed to get another 6 inches or so by this evening. I need a little set of Mattracks.......

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:11 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,026 Posts
Joel

Your into land based vehicles as well?

I started rc long ago with some tamiya vehicles.

Started air borne rc 4+ years ago and have come full circle now with this mini crawler

Having a blast with it

QUOTE=turboparker;23482222]Also - you can simply buy a 2.4 GHz brushless SCT for a lot less than it costs to upgrade the older version.

Eight inches of snow & climbing. We're supposed to get another 6 inches or so by this evening. I need a little set of Mattracks.......

Joel[/QUOTE]
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:27 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,465 Posts
Quote:
Thanks

Do you have link for upgrades?
There might be some german on this page but the seller is american based, and very good: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Losi-LOSB0862...item4cfe8c1f08

However if you already have a decent lipo charger, buy some turnigy nano-tech 2s's, they're much better quality and you can buy 5 for the price of one losi one. But, you will neet to change the plug on your trail trekker:

These fit the SCT/Rally/Truggy stock chassis for sure, but im not sure about the TT:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:46 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,026 Posts
thanks

I have a wide variety of 2s lipos

some hyperion 240,s nanotech 300-450

just have to figure out a way to mount them with cab on, so that weight transfer is ok

been experimenting today and building more obstacle course.

this thing will keep me entertained for sure.

Any other mods you know of that are good to do?

I am not too familair with losi and or rock crawling so I'm a total noob in that respect to knowin which upgrades to use ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
There might be some german on this page but the seller is american based, and very good: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Losi-LOSB0862...item4cfe8c1f08

However if you already have a decent lipo charger, buy some turnigy nano-tech 2s's, they're much better quality and you can buy 5 for the price of one losi one. But, you will neet to change the plug on your trail trekker:

These fit the SCT/Rally/Truggy stock chassis for sure, but im not sure about the TT:

Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:16 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,418 Posts
Quote:
Joel

Your into land based vehicles as well?

I started rc long ago with some tamiya vehicles.

Started air borne rc 4+ years ago and have come full circle now with this mini crawler

Having a blast with it
Yeah, I got into RC cars back in the late 80s when the RC10 Team Graphite 2WD buggy was the new kid on the block. Messed around a bit with off-road & on-road racing up in northern MN, but then got out of it in the mid 90s. I caught the bug again last year and picked up an SCT & Mini 8ight last to have something to screw around with when the wx sucks for flying. Check out my YouTube channel for a few videos. Nothin' fancy - just some WOT passes down the street with the Mini 8ight on 3s, a few passes with the bl SCT on Hyp 240s, and a bit of screwing around in last year's snow.

Speaking of snow - I've got a foot in the yard so far & it's starting to snow harder. I need an RC snowmobile....

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member