HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2011, 01:29 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,482 Posts
many use the water brake in method theres a you tube vid on it .
also must register on microtforum.com where rvrything losi micro is located .
rcphreak is online now Find More Posts by rcphreak
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2011, 04:18 PM
Joined Nov 2004
857 Posts
Bwaha, I'm shoving 11.1 through the stock motor. so far it's liking life....
ho50ca is offline Find More Posts by ho50ca
Old Dec 04, 2011, 05:48 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,175 Posts
Drifting on the snow

Guys,

Thanks! Just did a water break-in using deionized water & a pair of AA cells in series. I didn't have any motor spray, so I used MAF cleaner & lubed the bushings. Here's the first run with the new motor. Homebrew Hyp 240 2s pack on stock gearing. Seems to be faster than the original, which I did not break in before switching to 2s.

Losi Micro-SCT on 2s in the snow (8 min 2 sec)

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2011, 06:43 PM
Central Massachusetts
Joined Aug 2006
1,263 Posts
Picked up one of the Micro SCT for some indoor SC racing. I am running it stock with 2 cell Zippy 360mah lipos. The thing rips. I was really enjoying it but the AM radio is glitching like crazy. Its not interference as it stops glitching as soon as I shut the TX off. It now unusable. It won't hold a straight line for more than 1/2 a second as the steering is glitching left and right (mostly right) all the time. I also see the throttle getting glitches as well but that is not as noticeable. You see that when you hold the car and the wheels are free that they will chatter.

I really love the Micro SCT but feel let down with this AM radio. I will never buy another non 2.4 TX/RX product again.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Dec 11, 2011, 07:28 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
Picked up one of the Micro SCT for some indoor SC racing. I am running it stock with 2 cell Zippy 360mah lipos. The thing rips. I was really enjoying it but the AM radio is glitching like crazy. Its not interference as it stops glitching as soon as I shut the TX off. It now unusable. It won't hold a straight line for more than 1/2 a second as the steering is glitching left and right (mostly right) all the time. I also see the throttle getting glitches as well but that is not as noticeable. You see that when you hold the car and the wheels are free that they will chatter.

I really love the Micro SCT but feel let down with this AM radio. I will never buy another non 2.4 TX/RX product again.
There is a factory 2.4 GHz conversion kit that's also brushless: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...750kv-LOSB9593

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:00 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,731 Posts
$95 + a transmitter is tough to swallow as an upgrade on a $110 truck/car IMO.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:47 AM
Central Massachusetts
Joined Aug 2006
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
$95 + a transmitter is tough to swallow as an upgrade on a $110 truck/car IMO.
That's correct. I'm returning this for a refund as its unusable as is. What I find odd is the decline of the signal strength. It worked great on the first 5 batteries but as I am now at 10 batteries through the sct it's indriveable. Fresh tx batts = no change. The glitching increased with each run. Shut TX off and the glitching stops. I may try a new tx and rx crystal and a new tx to see if I can pinpoint this. I confess that I really like this car for its size. It turns a small foot print into a worthy cardboard short course stadium. Even if I had a 2.4Dsm tx I would be into the price range of a 1/16 brushless rtr for the cost of the 2.4 rx and original cost. Now if the brushless motor were included in the upgrade I'd keep it and upgrade it.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:17 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,731 Posts
^^ It does come with the motor....

I've been toying with the idea of converting my micro T to brushless, simply because the stock AM radio sucks. I won't be using a Losi conversion like this though, I'll be using a spare RX for my FS-GT3B, and a modified 3 wire servo (eflite S75 gears are interchangeable, so I can run the stock output gear in the 3 wire S75). I haven't completed it yet because I can't decide on the ESC/motor to use. The easy way out is the Losi kit ($50), but there are cheaper options out there.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:23 AM
Central Massachusetts
Joined Aug 2006
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
^^ It does come with the motor....

I've been toying with the idea of converting my micro T to brushless, simply because the stock AM radio sucks. I won't be using a Losi conversion like this though, I'll be using a spare RX for my FS-GT3B, and a modified 3 wire servo (eflite S75 gears are interchangeable, so I can run the stock output gear in the 3 wire S75). I haven't completed it yet because I can't decide on the ESC/motor to use. The easy way out is the Losi kit ($50), but there are cheaper options out there.
OK I must of looked at the wrong link to the 2.4 board for $20 less. I like the simplicity of the Losi Micro 2.4GHz Brushless Combo w/ Motor, 8750Kv (LOSB9593)

I also really like the size of this truck. I've already got a DX3 so it looks like I'll spend more on this little guy. I wish they also produced this as a BND with this kit already in it and saved a few dollars.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:14 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Joined Sep 2011
2,422 Posts
check this out!!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post20121179

My LOSI SCT build so far
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:55 PM
N. Adams,Ma.
Joined Sep 2008
73 Posts
Quote:
OK I must of looked at the wrong link to the 2.4 board for $20 less. I like the simplicity of the Losi Micro 2.4GHz Brushless Combo w/ Motor, 8750Kv (LOSB9593)

I also really like the size of this truck. I've already got a DX3 so it looks like I'll spend more on this little guy. I wish they also produced this as a BND with this kit already in it and saved a few dollars.
People often equate money spent with size, ie: so much money for such a little car. It's not valid. I too like the size of cars like this, and the awd and suspension make this car very drivable on lots of different surfaces. Cars like this find LOTS of drive time indoors when it's night, or raining, or winter. With brushless and lipos, the run time is long. Consequently, you will probably find yourself getting way more wheel time with this "little" car than you do with your bigger cars as long as the feel is the same(no glitching, little maintainance,lots of power). Now how much is it worth to spend?
I also wish Losi would put it out as a BND, but they probably won't.
gordonmoney is offline Find More Posts by gordonmoney
Old Dec 13, 2011, 02:09 PM
Central Massachusetts
Joined Aug 2006
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonmoney View Post
People often equate money spent with size, ie: so much money for such a little car. It's not valid. I too like the size of cars like this, and the awd and suspension make this car very drivable on lots of different surfaces. Cars like this find LOTS of drive time indoors when it's night, or raining, or winter. With brushless and lipos, the run time is long. Consequently, you will probably find yourself getting way more wheel time with this "little" car than you do with your bigger cars as long as the feel is the same(no glitching, little maintainance,lots of power). Now how much is it worth to spend?
Well put. I came from flying side of RC and the Ultra Micro planes are really pushing the Bind n Fly hard. I would like to see all the cars and trucks in BND offering instead of only RTF.

I took my M-SCT to LHS last night to try another steering servo just to see if it was a servo issue and not glitching. The test showed glitching with the new servo. We put the test servo back on the shelf and are sending the unit back to Horizon. It only had about 7 batteries max and its in perfect shape otherwise. I'll most likely upgrade the unit to DSM/Brushless just because it deserves it. I'm planning on building a mini SCT track in my spare garage bay for some winter indoor.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 02:42 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Joined Sep 2011
2,422 Posts
Quote:
Well put. I came from flying side of RC and the Ultra Micro planes are really pushing the Bind n Fly hard. I would like to see all the cars and trucks in BND offering instead of only RTF.

I'm planning on building a mini SCT track in my spare garage bay for some winter indoor.
I fully agree, although RTR is nice for some one breaking into the sport. I invested quite a bit of money into my flying too and my DX6i is finally paying for its self.

The biggest downfall of the losi micro range is the 27mhz rx, and I guess that is putting the choke hold on BND at the moment. I cant believe they put such an out dated RX in such a sophisticated car However it didnt stop me from buying one

Why build the track in your garage?? I, personally, cant wait till it snows, I am looking forward to making a snow track in my yard
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:54 PM
Joined Nov 2004
857 Posts
I'm putting the 10250 Kv Losi BL in mine. On 3s + 14 or 17t pinion, that should get me the stupid speed I need. I chucked in a 2.4 Ghz HK radio while I was at it. Running that speed on the DX6 airplane gear I got in there now ain't really on, I don't think. My 27Mhz receiver/ESC fried on 2 cell lipo.
ho50ca is offline Find More Posts by ho50ca
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:22 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonmoney View Post
Very well-said!

I am amazed at how versatile this little truck is. I use it for drifting around the house on the hardwood floors, running laps around the cul-de-sac, running some cones in the driveway, sliding around on fresh snow, and jumping driveway aprons. Their choice of 27 MHz is quite puzzling, though. Especially on a chassis like this.

We're coming up on the peak of the 11-year solar (sunspot) cycle, which means that interference & glitching on 27 MHz systems will get even worse over the next 3-4 years, as all of the CB radios and 27 MHz RC radios start to 'shoot skip', or bounce off the ionosphere & return to the ground hundreds or thousands of miles away. It's already happening now during daylight hours.

I'm going with the Losi conversion kit. Most likely, with the lower-Kv motor. I already have a slot in my DX3C waiting for it.

Joel
RCG Plus Member