Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by superdave42, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:57 AM
Gimbaled
morgan hill california
Joined May 2004
3,295 Posts
Rant
E-Flite Walkera and "it's good enough"

Spektrum guys need to get off their butts and develop a 2-3 axis gyro/rx system. (I have no idea whats going on behind their doors in R&D )

I hate to say it because I am normally only a super high end guy, and sometimes just super high lol.

Walkera is basically making E-Flite look sub par. I know e-flite makes solid reliable gear but cmon they let Walkera come out with a 3-axis system for sub micro helis lol.

Currently Fbl and gyro augmentation is used on high end systems/equipment. Mikado V-bar / beastX/ skookum robotics / and others are now the rage today in rc helicopter tech.

Very high end systems have been developed and cost several hundred dollars.

This is debatable.... But the walkera 3-axis gyro/rx not only is the most weight optimal system for palm size helicopters, it's the ONLY off the shelf system today. It may even be on par with Aligns 3G system. (no body would want to agree on that statement..)

I used to be a HUGE E-Flite advocate. They do make Good reliable and easy to use products. But today I have realized that their technology is lacking to the point where Walkera has now become the sub micro technology leader. (sure ok everything I am saying is subjective. That's CYA for ya ) right now, today the hottest topic in helicopters is ditching the flybar. Botom line FBL is all the rage right now. Walkera is serving that rage. Of course the Walkera offerings do not compete performance wise to Skookum/Mikado/BeastX/Align 3G... But is the Wakera 3-Axis "good enough" ? Thev"good enough" product is definatley going to appeal to the new crowd, dare I say "the invasion of the Newbs".

These more established companies like E-Flite need to realize that the Chinese companies will take advantage of that fact "good enough ". I mean how hard is it to layout a Pcb and have 3gyros and an RX.? . The answer is not hard at all. I work for a power system company (XP Power) we are now doing smart power supplies (for military/medical/industrial and telecom companies. We can whip out a smart power system with I2C interface/web interface etc... It's damn easy and cheap to do, there is no excuse for E-Flite not to come out with a full house palm heli. There is no excuse for Spektrum not to make a super small 2-3axis gyro system. There is non excuse for a micro 4-site e-flite 3d plane to have a 2-axis gyro option for those that want it. Sure I expect e-flite and spektrum to do these things because they are the companies that built a reputation with me, they give me confidence to spend my paycheck on their product.

I am sickened to say I have to leave the comfort of both those companies in order to get what i want. What I want now is for my entire micro fleet to be gyro stabilized. only 2 ways that can happen today. 1: buy walkeran gyro system . 2: design a custom circuit from scratch.

In my opinion I really feel spektrum , e-flite need to stay on top of current fad's/ tech. They spend a lot LOT of effort in generating trust/comfort/happiness with their products but at the same time fail to implement these simple things that are all the craze these days. I mean they let Walkera design and market a full house sub micro heli (4G6)
Then they continue to sit back and let HeliMax private label it and bring it to the USA..

After owning the mSr I had high hopes of buying an E-flight full house palm heli.

I used to hate Walkera in the past. But now I see them as technology innovators.
I hate to say this but... In 3 years once E-flite decides to make a brushless sub micro collective pitch shaft driven variable pitch tail heli I'll have to compare it to Walkeras superior product. ( crap I can't even believe I just said Walkera and Superior in the same sentence.)

Sadly I feel the oem will not read this post and all this typing on an iPad will be for nothing.

Thanks for reading thru my ramblings.

Dave
superdave42 is offline Find More Posts by superdave42
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:46 PM
Malta (Europe)
Joined May 2010
9 Posts
Help needed

Hi Dave,

Could you help me? I am doing a quad copter for my Electronics Degree Project and I need some help on the PID for the Quad. I managed to get the angles and also managed to use PWM to drive the motors from an ARM7. The size of the Quad is almost 1meter using BLDC and 12*3.8 props. Please contact me on the following email jesgatt(at)gmail.com . NOTE: (at) not in the correct syntax due to spam mail.
jesgatt is offline Find More Posts by jesgatt