HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Lafayette, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:07 AM
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Cool
Did you say SMALL flying field???

How small is your flying field and how hard is it to t/o or land there???

I thought I would start a thread where all can post their backyard runways or other tight spots they fly in and out of!

Post your videos here.

This should be fun, let's see where you fly!
Bloopers welcome!

I'll post the first video:
Small flying field.wmv (3 min 1 sec)

Lafayette.
Lafayette is offline Find More Posts by Lafayette
Last edited by Lafayette; Aug 08, 2010 at 09:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:11 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,257 Posts
NICE jobThats a tight one.
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:43 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,657 Posts
Good job!

The incredible power to weight ratio of models makes it very easy to launch from areas that can't be landed in.
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:36 AM
Joined Jul 2008
180 Posts
That is tight, but in the video I saw about a half dozen open fields within a 1/4 mile.

Why don't you find out your neighbor's favorite beer, buy a case, then go ask if you can fly there?

Or do you just use your backyard for the challenge?
jhoyda is offline Find More Posts by jhoyda
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:57 AM
Miami, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
177 Posts
Nice landing right there,,,,

What kind of model?

You should add air brake set or spoiler to bleed off the air speed or flaps....
FlyNow,LandLater is offline Find More Posts by FlyNow,LandLater
Old Jul 29, 2010, 01:15 PM
Fly fast, crash hard.
Joined Mar 2006
68 Posts
Very cool.

But seriously, did you think you could just post camera footage WITHOUT photos of your plane? No, I don't think you can!
DarkWombat is offline Find More Posts by DarkWombat
Old Jul 29, 2010, 01:17 PM
Bangkok
Joined Oct 2007
1,586 Posts
Pfft, that's not like landing on an aircraft carrier. This is like landing on an aircraft carrier... sideways.

Dive, then fly, then dive again... (2 min 23 sec)

And I did it twice!
AleG is offline Find More Posts by AleG
Old Jul 29, 2010, 01:26 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoyda View Post
That is tight, but in the video I saw about a half dozen open fields within a 1/4 mile.

Why don't you find out your neighbor's favorite beer, buy a case, then go ask if you can fly there?

Or do you just use your backyard for the challenge?
Yep, like the challenge and the practise. I need it as I want to do some real estate pics and videos in the aera. Working on a new plane and probably will build a tricopter...

Lafayette.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 01:27 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleG View Post
Pfft, that's not like landing on an aircraft carrier. This is like landing on an aircraft carrier... sideways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbpj2NNZgDw

And I did it twice!
I saw that video before. That was really cool!
I cannot catch my plane like that! Modified SS.
You did not have too many trees and power lines in the way!!!

What were you flying???
I'll take my slowfly 28 and we can have a little contest? No catch, just land in a 2 foot circle on the blue deck!!!You will just have to foot the bill for the boat!
Lafayette
Last edited by Lafayette; Jul 29, 2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 01:43 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWombat View Post
Very cool.

But seriously, did you think you could just post camera footage WITHOUT photos of your plane? No, I don't think you can!
Here is the plane. Will post maiden video using the GOPRO as soon as weather permits.
I just made a few modifications to my slowstick.
2409-18 TP motor
3s 1800
Modified wing, 2 spars, no ribs and covering, keeping some undercamber.
Added more rudder surface.
Made a landing gear/camera mount for the GOPRO. Added quite a bit of weight, but with the mods, no problem.
Mounted GOPRO and made a second battery holder to move the battery and keep the CG within limits when mounting the GOPRO with housing. Sacrificed my parachute drop rig for the 2nd battery holder. I can still attach the parachute drop in a couple minutes.
As soon as I maiden the GOPRO airborne I will post a video! Need some good weather...
See my blog for more details.
It will fly slow, and it will fly fast and get up there in a hurry!
Video still processing, quality will be better in a few minutes.
SS Mods (4 min 5 sec)

Lafayette
Last edited by Lafayette; Jul 29, 2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:21 PM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
some sideslip would really help you there (unless you already were, but it didn't look like it from the vid)...

On the first part of the approach put in a good lot of rudder and counter with opposite aileron. This makes the aircraft very draggy and you can lose a lot of altitude without picking up a lot of speed... then as you come up to your corner, let off the sideslip and return to normal flight, turn the corner and land.

Something to practice for fun!

That said, damn good job anyway!
rusty_y2k2 is offline Find More Posts by rusty_y2k2
Old Jul 29, 2010, 04:48 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_y2k2 View Post
some sideslip would really help you there (unless you already were, but it didn't look like it from the vid)...

On the first part of the approach put in a good lot of rudder and counter with opposite aileron. This makes the aircraft very draggy and you can lose a lot of altitude without picking up a lot of speed... then as you come up to your corner, let off the sideslip and return to normal flight, turn the corner and land.

Something to practice for fun!

That said, damn good job anyway!
I know what you are saying but this is only rudder/elevator/throttle...
Hard to sideslip with that configuration.
I used to be a flight instructor and the greatest fun was to practise crosswind landings with a Piper cub, Stearman, and a 150 Cessna with the huge flaps!!!. We used to take the Cub out for fun and hover on windy days as well as actually fly backwards sometimes! Going down the runway on one wheel, almost scratching the wingtips...Those were the days...I could rent a 7ac champ for 12 dollars an hour and the Stearman for 60 an hour...30 years ago...

The next AP plane I am designing will be full span ailerons to the dihedral break, also acting as flaps (flaperons) and elevator. I might try this steup on a 75% "SOLUTION" and if it does not work, then 3 axis controls or back to R/E/T .I have considered mounting the ailerons and flaps like on the Fiesler Storch and possibly replicate the wing. My father used to own one, and the STOL performance is incredible. Now for an rc model???
Now, what works for full size aircrafts does not always work for RC and vice a versa. Trial and error.
I also always think about a spring loaded ballistic chute, as long as there is not too much wind. Tall trees here, and forget about getting the plane back from the roof of the forest!
I also built an AVID FLYER and the wing had a 2 inch wing twist so that when the root of the wing would stall the tips of the wings still created lift. Also it had flaperons.
It had a pretty impressive performance as well.
I attached some pics. The one I built was the taildragger version with tundra tires. If you look on the 2nd pic, you kind of see the wing twist.
I also want to try building a wing like that.

Fieseler Fi 156 Storch demo 1938 (1 min 48 sec)
Old Jul 29, 2010, 06:47 PM
Joined Oct 2006
135 Posts
HaHaHa, loved the diagrams, great landing and close call with the trees! I have a small flying area too, need to get some video.
browndodge is offline Find More Posts by browndodge
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:55 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by browndodge View Post
HaHaHa, loved the diagrams, great landing and close call with the trees! I have a small flying area too, need to get some video.
Please do! I am sure I'll have a blooper one of these days! Hopefully not on top of a 60 foot tree!!!

Already had a close call, flying over a river, lost the signal, went in some very tall trees,but the plane fell to the ground on its own.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1268419

Also, it got blown by an incoming storm and landed on top of the roof of my kid's school. By the time I was giving up on figuring how to get up there with a broken leg, the wind had picked it up, and blown it on the other side of the building where it landed on the grass! Lucky day again!

The school is in this video:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266243

Like anything else if all was well all the time it would not be any fun!
Lafayette
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:38 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,831 Posts
This was the coolest flying field I used in the past.
It is a Fire Department training facility with a large concrete pad. it is also a Mostorcycle Safety Foundation training area too. Surrounding the pad is a series of posts with a cable strung between them. The access road has a gate on it. Then there is the training tower and the storage shed along with a outdoor covered classroom. Also several tall light posts round it off. Behind the access road is street going by and on the other side of the street is a set of power lines along with a barb wire fence to keep it interesting. The rest of the area was a large open grassy area, that one could fly off of too.
Anyway, if you wanted to fly and land on a concrete runway, you had to be aware of all the interesting plane getting obstacles. Interestingly enough quite a few people hit the side or the storage building, but almost no one ever hit the tower. The plane I used for these pics was a SIG Senior Kadet, and yes I managed to clip the power lines one day with it. But the SIG Kadet is still alive and well semi-retired in my storage shed.

I think I was taxi'ing my P51 in this pic or getting ready to take off:

Landing my P51:
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane