SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 21, 2011, 02:30 AM
Joined Dec 2011
2 Posts
Noob

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the AR Drone having only bought it yesterday. I've already had 6 flights so far (bought 2 spare batteries $28 ea at EBGames aussies). Flew 3 times this afternoon down the park in what was a fair breeze for the drone.

I have over 70 hours in gliders and some limited power experience (full size) and have also flown quite a bit of r/c including power and gliders. Flying something using my phone is an new experience I can tell you!

Here is a short video of part of a flight if anyone knows how to make the quality better please speak up. Oh yeah I'm using a Galaxy S

MaverickAus is offline Find More Posts by MaverickAus
Last edited by MaverickAus; Dec 21, 2011 at 02:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2011, 11:34 PM
Ridgecrest Calif
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
So what's the deal with firmware these days? I just got an AR Drone for Xmas, and when I first turned things on it asked if I wanted to upgrade the firmware?

I said yes, but it seemed to hang on the install. So I re-powered at the drone and it asked again. This time I said no and it turned on and I flew it around the room without drama.

But what's the right thing to do here? And what about all these fly-aways I'm reading about?

FWIW, I'm flying with an old iPad and it made me upgrade (now v5) in order to download the freeflight app.
WAM74 is offline Find More Posts by WAM74
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:59 AM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2010
199 Posts
i just got the ardrone for xmas too here. and all i gota say is this is aaamazing! its ultra smooth on my droid X. like i mean the video is smooth as silk. most older vids ive seen its choppy, but on mine its sooo smooth. maybe because of the fast processor on the droid x is faster than iphone. the controls at first were odd at first but that auto pilot made it really easy to master this beautiful bird. lol can u tell i love this thing lol. im already looking into the rc mod on ebay, looks plug n play from the guy selling them. would be soooo epic on my dx6i. that and the rc mod looks like it prevents fly aways i read about completely since the rc mod plugs into the drones usb port then im thinkin ill disable it for indoor flights. gah im blabering on but i havnt been this amazed in a thing in years lol. so versitile. im already ordering LEDS lol. i wana put lights so it looks like a ufo lol. ohh yeah i forgot to ask, should i update the firmware and stuff? how do i check it?
g3f0rc3 is offline Find More Posts by g3f0rc3
Old Dec 26, 2011, 02:47 AM
New to Flying.
Joined May 2011
325 Posts
Yeah no fly-aways with the MacGyver mod.

MacGyver RC Mod for the AR Drone (6 min 32 sec)

Total control. It's so awesome for 130.00, or 165-ish for the one with a switch to turn on LEDs. www.macdrones.com
Chadfish is online now Find More Posts by Chadfish
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:07 PM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Mar 2004
1,402 Posts
Where is the best place to buy the A.R.Drone?
air mail rcg is offline Find More Posts by air mail rcg
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:54 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,247 Posts
I just got the AR-Drone for Christmas. I'm a long-time fixed-wing flyer, and my wife wanted to get me something "different"... well ... this thing is definately different.

I've got 2 flights in so far...very mild hovering/manuevering. I'm using an HTC Droid for control and video screen. I'm very surprised at how clear the video is... I'm still so new though, I don't know how to capture it... and I honestly don't think its capable box-stock using a phone.. is it?

I haven't found very much info on these types of drones anywhere either... other then a few tutorials here and there on the web, and what little info came with it in the case. I just figured out how to switch from front cam to bottom-cam today..and how to go to "ace" mode.. Its just a trip.. but I'm just going to take it slow.. and keep it in one peice if I can.. It does move out pretty good when you want it too..

I've got a local park thats probably 100yards square or so that seems perfect.. as it doesn't even take half of that if I don't want it too... and much less space when I need.. but its nice to have a good run-out area for just seeing what it will do straight out...

So is there a way to capture the video from this drone? If so how do you do it?
Thanks..
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Dec 27, 2011, 09:01 PM
Ridgecrest Calif
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant View Post
I haven't found very much info on these types of drones anywhere either... other then a few tutorials here and there on the web, and what little info came with it in the case.
I'm as new to this as you are, so can't answer your questions. But I did find this:
http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-drone/usa/support

A lot better than the meager leaflet in the case.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:55 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM74 View Post
I'm as new to this as you are, so can't answer your questions. But I did find this:
http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-drone/usa/support

A lot better than the meager leaflet in the case.
Thank you.. yes it does have alot more then the info contained in the aircraft box... I read through it somewhat.. still didn't find anything on the video.. and how its being captured.. matter of fact, I found the contrary to that.. that video was not enabled due to Apple not authorizing it.. or something along those lines..

I did find out you can take a screen shot with it though apparently.. I believe it says by hitting the power button and home button at same time will generate a screen shot.. we'll see.

Cool thing about this thing though, I don't think theres a thing one can do to thrash it.... I'm just flying over grass.. and although a couple of times I thought it was going to catch the ground and roll.. it just keeps on going.. but I'm nowhere near ready for any pavement or any flying around structures..haha.. 2 flights is all Ive got on it.. I'm just farely determined to keep it out of harms way.. its just such a trip...

I do want to get into the settings and change a few things.. like the height limiter.. and possibly the acceleration too.. but I'm pretty playing with things like acceleration and bumping that up would use up power.. and right now I'm getting what feels to be some very decent flight times..
Old Dec 30, 2011, 02:44 AM
1 year flyin' & lovin' it!
United States, CA, Covina
Joined Aug 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by air mail rcg View Post
+1 I'm in the USofA, SoCal...want one BAAAD!!!

AB
OldGuyHelifly11 is offline Find More Posts by OldGuyHelifly11
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:14 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Trashing this thing isn't easy. I've probably flipped it, crashed it etc a dozen times and I've only had to replace two shafts and a gear/cog. It's a very durable piece of kit.

I've flipped it by bumping into people, walls, bushes, roofs etc. I've crashed it by bumping the props into branches, the top of our house, walls, fences, the inner side of the indoor shell and so on.

Now, I use the indoor shell 99% of the time. That has saved it most of the time. I've broken two shafts, once when I lost control and it crash landed on a roof, slid off and fell to the ground and again when I bumped into a tree and it landed right on the gear.

I'm still using the original props, the central cross is still in one piece etc. I haven't used it in a while tho, I decided to repaint the indoor hull but that sort of ruined it so I can't fly until I have new shells. Use the indoor hull whenever you can, I think it looks much cooler and it WILL save your drone many MANY times. My shell has been glued back together in 10-12 different places. :P

Here's a video I recorded before the winter arrived. Protip: Don't start on uneven surfaces or this will happen. Yikes!

How to crash an Ar Drone (3 min 52 sec)

Ar Drone test-flight + crash (4 min 10 sec)
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Dec 30, 2011, 04:09 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2 Posts
Quote:
Thank you.. yes it does have alot more then the info contained in the aircraft box... I read through it somewhat.. still didn't find anything on the video.. and how its being captured.. matter of fact, I found the contrary to that.. that video was not enabled due to Apple not authorizing it.. or something along those lines..
Lol get an android

Quote:
So is there a way to capture the video from this drone? If so how do you do it?
Thanks..
"ARDrone flight" from the Android Market

I've just bought a keyring DVR which weighs 14 grams or 1/2 an ounce, once I get it mounted and have time to try it I'll post a video
MaverickAus is offline Find More Posts by MaverickAus
Old Dec 30, 2011, 06:35 PM
Ridgecrest Calif
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by air mail rcg View Post
http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-.../where-to-buy/

I used Brookstone, as I thought they were kinda the official storefront and might offer the best after-sale support. Dunno.

Or search Parrot AR Drone on EBAY to save a buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
I decided to repaint the indoor hull but that sort of ruined it so I can't fly until I have new shells.
What did you try, what went wrong? I don't particularly care for the current clown motif. It's bad enough that I buy toys, without them looking the part.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 06:53 PM
New to Flying.
Joined May 2011
325 Posts
Look up "FlightRecord" from the app store.
Chadfish is online now Find More Posts by Chadfish
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:06 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Lol get an android

"ARDrone flight" from the Android Market

I've just bought a keyring DVR which weighs 14 grams or 1/2 an ounce, once I get it mounted and have time to try it I'll post a video
Not sure what you mean about "get an android".. ? If its the phone/control I'm using an HTC Droid phone.. I'll check again on the apps and see what I can find.. Thanks for the response.

Also... I did see EBay is flooded with most everything it seems. I saw "carbon-fiber" outdoor shells for about $60.00 or so.. they do have a "cool" factor to them... I would imagine they are in fact 100% carbon-fiber, and pretty tough.. moreso then the plastic stuff provided anyway.

I got a few flights in after resetting some parameters... like the atitude limiter.. I have to say the thing really climbs out now.. it will jump to about 60' in no time.. I'm just leary about loosing signal at that altitude and the machine setting down in one of the back-yards that surround my park(they're actually a few hundred feet away..), but I don't want to hassle retrieving it, or getting it eaten by the watch-dog..
Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:26 PM
Joined Jan 2008
167 Posts
Hi, and welcome.

I use AR Drone Flight, free on android market, for vidéo recording..

Best flying experience and the most advanced user configuration should be AR. Pro. Btw, haven't test yet because I've an issue with new Google Wallet and my credit card..
RolluS is offline Find More Posts by RolluS