Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 28, 2010, 07:43 PM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,964 Posts
Discussion
The "ORIGINAL" Parrot AR. Drone owners thread

Just got the new Parrot AR. Drone today. Looks like I am one of the 1st in the U.S. to get one. Flew 3 packs through it so far and it is pretty cool. It has 2 cameras that send video to your Iphone,Ipad, Ipod Touch while flying in real time. It even tells you how much battery is left in percentages. It has height hold. To get it airborn you just push 1 button and it comes up chest high and stays there. The AR stands for Augmented Reality. You can download 1 shooting game right now but many more to come as it is an open platform for developers and it looks like they can make money on the games they develop. Here is some info on it->

Intuitive piloting
The cockpit of the AR.Drone includes an inertial unit, ultrasound sensors and a vertical camera.
The combination of these elements which are controlled by an autopilot program allows extremely accurate piloting of the quadricopter. The AR.Drone detects the movements of your iPod Touch®/iPhone® (to go up, down, turn, reverse, go forwards etc.). Anyone can pilot the AR.Drone, it is extremely simple to use..

Play inside or outside
The Parrot AR.Drone has been designed for both inside and outside use. You can adapt it to any game situation using the two hulls provided. The full hull shield protects the AR.Drone from impacts that occur during wild battles against enemies hidden in the rooms of the house. The streamlined hull is aerodynamic, allowing greater control outside.

Live video feed on your iPhone screen
Get inside the cockpit of your AR.Drone! Even meters away, keep control with your video remote thanks to a Wi-Fi connection. Two cameras are embedded, one on the front and one underneath facing the ground.

The switch between both cameras is very easy thanks to the button integrated in the application running on the iPod Touch®/iPhone®.

Official website-> http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-drone/en
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Z06 Tony; Sep 03, 2010 at 07:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2010, 07:46 PM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,964 Posts
Mods:

Cut the plug off the batt and soldered a Deans on so I did not mess with the plug on the unit but could try a diff batt. There batt is incased in heavy plastic and weighs 106g and is only 10c and 1000mAh 3s. I put a Hyperion 45c 900mAh that only weighs 86g in there and it fits perfect but the motors run hotter and they run hot to begin with so I did not want to overheat them. Gonna look for a lower C rating LiPo. Just checked and the Rhino 1050mAh 20c fits perrrrfect and only weighs 100g.

Helpfull Tips:

If you fly it in the wind, Just max out all the settings except the yaw. Put that at 75%. Then it will fly better in the wind.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Z06 Tony; Sep 05, 2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:17 PM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
AZ
Joined May 2006
4,681 Posts
It sounds like you are doing the advertising for them,
G-unit is offline Find More Posts by G-unit
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:35 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-unit View Post
I thought the same. Was hoping for some real feedback on it not marketing copy.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:48 PM
by Alary Design
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,821 Posts
Nice Tony. Looking forward to some pics and more info. I'll be ordering one soon.

BTW, I take it you have a Z06? I'd love to pull a run on you with my Jeep SRT8
Photoship One is offline Find More Posts by Photoship One
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:00 PM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ ChopperCam View Post
Nice Tony. Looking forward to some pics and more info. I'll be ordering one soon.

BTW, I take it you have a Z06? I'd love to pull a run on you with my Jeep SRT8
Hehe that is correct. Dont think the Jeep will be a match. Your tank is almost 1700lbs heavier and almost 100hp short. Atleast you can fit more than 1 passenger in yours. My bro has a real nice 300C SRT8.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2668309
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:28 PM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,964 Posts
Quote:
Ya think so. Geez and I thought this was an owners thread for guys who buy them. With your logic EVERYONE who starts a thread about a product is advertising for the manufacturer.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:36 PM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
AZ
Joined May 2006
4,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
Ya think so. Geez and I thought this was an owners thread for guys who buy them. With your logic EVERYONE who starts a thread about a product is advertising for the manufacturer.
No its not that, just look at your thread, looks like you copied and paste off there web site,
You say u have ran 3 packs through it, but i would think you would of posted a pic a video something, not just telling me what it is supposed to do,
lets see it do it!!

Thats all
G-unit is offline Find More Posts by G-unit
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:46 PM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,964 Posts
Quote:
No its not that, just look at your thread, looks like you copied and paste off there web site,
You say u have ran 3 packs through it, but i would think you would of posted a pic a video something, not just telling me what it is supposed to do,
lets see it do it!!

Thats all
There is a difference between a review and an owners thread. This is not a product review. I dont do those. My wife has MS and cannot film and we have no kids so its hard to get vids except on the weekends when I fly with my buds. However I am happy to answer any questions anyone has. When I get some more packs through it I can comment more about it. It was windy out so I only flew it a little outside. Once I can get parts I will test range and see how hard I can fly it without crashing. Pics will be coming also but only had it for hours so far.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:36 PM
Suspended Account
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Last edited by Quad_Addict; Sep 02, 2010 at 12:30 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:44 PM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad_Addict View Post
LOL

Tony so lets get to the point.... was it worth the $? and what was your final price all said ad done to your door?
Yes I think it worth $300 all day. I paid $370 for mine though. When you set the height it does not move up or down at all. It goes up and down like an elevator on comand. The only thing I dont like is it looks impossible to mod. The motors look like they come with its own ESC. There are repair vids on Parots website and I never seen a motor setup like that before. The motors are small but it zips along nice. Most of the vids are indoors so you cannot see the speed.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:45 PM
Suspended Account
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Last edited by Quad_Addict; Sep 02, 2010 at 12:30 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:53 PM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad_Addict View Post
oh so you can get it for $300 now?

appreciate the honest replies. it would make a great novelty item cough winter is coming yanno :P post up pics and vids when up!
They will be $300 next month. I paid $375 not $370(typo)cus I did not want to wait. The lowest price around that I can find was $450 delivered. I just offered the seller $375 and he accepted. he saved $36 in Ebay fees(Ebay sux)so it was really like I chopped him $39.
Site Sponsor