HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 725 86.00%
were just asking for too much 118 14.00%
Voters: 843. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Jan 2008
6 Posts
Hello all got a T-28 UM for Xmas. Woohoo...Went out for a couple flights last night and this morning and the thing flies great. I already have a Corsair UM and I like this plane a lot better. My question is that I never did much in terms of tape on the Corsair and now it is banged up on nose and has some wing issues (going to replace wing in next month). Since my T-28 is new and shiny I wanted to know where to put tape. I read on threads that people put packing tape around nose and some tape on wings..some say also to put tape where wing meets fuselage. I am also a farily paranoid person when it comes to screwing up my toys (at least I admit it) so I was hoping someone could post zoomed in pics on where to put tape, type, etc. to keep my baby as pretty and safe as possible.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

SAHorowitz
SAHorowitz is offline Find More Posts by SAHorowitz
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:30 PM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,168 Posts
Mine is pretty beat up so I know the weak spots! Put some tape around the very inner bit of the leading edge, the kinked area, as tears can start at the kink. I have tape up the whole of the rest of the leading edge but I don't know if I put it there, or HH!

You need it under the nose for belly landings. However, I found water worked it's way in where there were a couple of kinks in the tape. This faded the paint as well as loosening the tape so you will need to take care.

The plane is very fixable if you prang it. If the wings fold, you can strengthen them with a 1mm CF rod (or similar) on the underside.

I hope you keep it pretty but I'm pleased to say they still fly OK even if I have been let loose with them!
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:12 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akozols View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY View Post
I got a UM T-28 for Christmas. Tried to maiden it a few days ago, but it did not fly well under power, it would pitch up and roll left. Power off it would glide straight and steady, so the CG was right and control surfaces were properly aligned, which allowed me to land it gently. Upon closer inspection, the thrust angle is exact opposite of what it should be, on my T-28 it is left and up.
I too got one for Christmas. I'll be sure to check the motor before I fly. Thanks for the heads-up.
I hope your T-28 is perfect out of the box.

I called HH today and they had me bring my T-28 to the LHS where I bought it. The technician took a look and agreed the motor wasn't mounted correctly. LHS agreed to exchange my T-28 for a new one, but they did not have one in stock, so I have to wait until one arrives next week. The weather forecast is not looking good for flying ultra-micros, way too windy, so I would not have been able to fly it before next weekend anyway.
JayY is online now Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:31 AM
Puerto Rico, Guayama, Guayama
Joined Jun 2006
1,462 Posts
HH should make an UM T-28 with the AS3X system. Would be awesome!
davehour is offline Find More Posts by davehour
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:22 PM
The Luftwaffle
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,127 Posts
Might as well make it 2s. Then it would be the "Ultimate UM T-28" instead of just an as3x.
It would make my mods a lot more flyable.
Waffleman is offline Find More Posts by Waffleman
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:53 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,622 Posts
Yes, it would be great, but it would take it out of the $100 range and make it too fast for beginners. I remember my first flight with the T-28. It was fast for me at first, but it's a good stepping stone. I still have two perfect used, a Beast 3D and a Sbach AS3x to try out. They need some slower models like the T-28.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:05 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Yes, it would be great, but it would take it out of the $100 range and make it too fast for beginners. I remember my first flight with the T-28. It was fast for me at first, but it's a good stepping stone. I still have two perfect used, a Beast 3D and a Sbach AS3x to try out. They need some slower models like the T-28.
I am very tired of these brushed systems.
In the NE they just do not last.
Horizon is making large profits on these things.
After uncountable sputtering flights and dead sticks, I have no plans to shell out
for even a replacement motor. (Again!)
None of the new um planes getting me to open my wallet! Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:16 PM
Joined Aug 2012
173 Posts
Hi Guys, just picked up a UM T-28 how do I remove the nose wheel? And who has modded the box so you can put the plane in there with the Gear on? Pictures?
Iplumb is offline Find More Posts by Iplumb
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:28 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iplumb View Post
Hi Guys, just picked up a UM T-28 how do I remove the nose wheel? And who has modded the box so you can put the plane in there with the Gear on? Pictures?
Just pull it out... it will come out.. you might ghave to move it a bit.. but its just pulling out..

The box i dont think it can be moded to have the plane with gear ... the plane sits on it and the vertical stab allready reachs the "ceiling".. i dont think there is room for the gear even removing all foam under
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:30 PM
Joined Aug 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
Just pull it out... it will come out.. you might ghave to move it a bit.. but its just pulling out..

The box i dont think it can be moded to have the plane with gear ... the plane sits on it and the vertical stab allready reachs the "ceiling".. i dont think there is room for the gear even removing all foam under
Thanks! Someone has done it. Just wondering how? I remember reading about it.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:34 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
I just removed (cut out) the styrofoam beneath the wheels, there's just enough room.
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:37 PM
Joined Aug 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
I just removed (cut out) the styrofoam beneath the wheels, there's just enough room.
Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:37 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,867 Posts
Me too. All I did was cut the foam out from where the front wheel is and it fits just fine.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:40 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Me too. All I did was cut the foam out from where the front wheel is and it fits just fine.

I guess i was quite wrong.. i will check it .. but does the plane still sits on its seat?
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:43 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
It bends the wings, so I also carved out some foam in the inserts so it sits higher.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower