SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 728 86.05%
were just asking for too much 118 13.95%
Voters: 846. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:29 AM
Flyr John in Floyd VA
United States, VA, Floyd
Joined Nov 2007
561 Posts
Motor or ESC?

Experiencing a new, odd problem with my T-28. At about 35-40 % throttle, the light on the brick blinks and the motor pulses, approx. 2 per second. Goes away at higher throttle settings. My guess is the brick is on its way out. Or could it be the motor itself? Only mod is a 5043 GWS prop.

Thoughts?

Thanks, John
jhark37 is offline Find More Posts by jhark37
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:34 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhark37 View Post
Experiencing a new, odd problem with my T-28. At about 35-40 % throttle, the light on the brick blinks and the motor pulses, approx. 2 per second. Goes away at higher throttle settings. My guess is the brick is on its way out. Or could it be the motor itself? Only mod is a 5043 GWS prop.
I experience similar problems in my Champ at minimun throotle with bad batteries... putting better batts solved it.. my guess is batteries or motor .. in both cases the 5043 doesnt help it (more amp drawn).. still is way more cheap to replace the motor (and of course batteries) than the brick
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:04 AM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,206 Posts
I agree: Try batteries first. My motor would cut and need coaxing to high power settings and then cut at the top of loops. When it wouldn't even loop from level flight, I put in new batteries (Miniaviation 190 mAh) and all was sweetness again. I didn't think I had abused the NanoTech 160's that were there already but they were pooped whatever ...
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:39 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,331 Posts
Well.. got a break in the horribly weather we are having latelly (and most of the year) and could do 4 flights today.. .. since at it i tried diving at full power and then pulling up with max elevator .. it did it with no problem , also tried doing tight loops, tight turns , rolls , etc.. no problem in them .. so i guess the repairs to the bent wing worked out well
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:48 PM
Flyr John in Floyd VA
United States, VA, Floyd
Joined Nov 2007
561 Posts
Thanks for the tips on the battery. I'm quite aware of LVC, but usually associate it with full throttle. I tried a fresh larger capacity battery, and all is well!

Thanks, John
jhark37 is offline Find More Posts by jhark37
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:02 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhark37 View Post
Thanks for the tips on the battery. I'm quite aware of LVC, but usually associate it with full throttle. I tried a fresh larger capacity battery, and all is well!

Thanks, John
Keep an eye on the bat connector it self.
I have had to replace them.
At times a bat fine for one plane , not so good on others!
Good luck. Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Dec 2011
19 Posts
Just got my UM T-28. Anyone have a suggestion for holding batteries in the tray without using the hook and loop? I use the same batts for my Nano heli and I'm pretty sure the loop strip would rip off when I slid it into the battery slot in the heli.
ryknoll3 is offline Find More Posts by ryknoll3
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:59 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2012
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryknoll3 View Post
Just got my UM T-28. Anyone have a suggestion for holding batteries in the tray without using the hook and loop? I use the same batts for my Nano heli and I'm pretty sure the loop strip would rip off when I slid it into the battery slot in the heli.
Saw a YouTube video that made a "pocket" to slide the battery in with a Card Stock. I did that before I ever flew my T-28 (I'd only flown a Champ before that). Unknownly, it was putting the center of gravity way off - and I had nothing but issues until someone at a fly-in suggested I cut that tray out and use velcro.

Okay - take 2: I took an old MCX Landing skid with battery tray, cut it down to just the tray - put velcro on it. Now I can slide my batteries in it and still put the battery where I get the best center of gravity.
jdr00ejr is offline Find More Posts by jdr00ejr
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:20 PM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryknoll3 View Post
Add a foam cover?
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:33 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2012
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteC5 View Post
Add a foam cover?
That's interesting. Do you have more details? What holds that in there? How do you keep your battery from sliding around inside it? Do you have balance issues?
jdr00ejr is offline Find More Posts by jdr00ejr
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:27 PM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr00ejr View Post
That's interesting. Do you have more details? What holds that in there? How do you keep your battery from sliding around inside it? Do you have balance issues?
Here is the cover open. Clear tape hinge on one edge. Small magnet and nail on other edge. Clear tape 'buddy-tab' next to nail to pull cover open with. LiPo fits snuggly in location I chose from testing plane prior to installing cover. Alternately, one could easily add foam stops around the LiPo to limit movement.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:29 PM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,030 Posts
nice scale mod Corvette!
goodhumormarc is online now Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:26 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,992 Posts
My buddy just uses a rubber band.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:49 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,085 Posts
Quote:
Here is the cover open. Clear tape hinge on one edge. Small magnet and nail on other edge. Clear tape 'buddy-tab' next to nail to pull cover open with. LiPo fits snuggly in location I chose from testing plane prior to installing cover. Alternately, one could easily add foam stops around the LiPo to limit movement.
Sharp idea!
Been wondering how to deal with the brushless conversion's battery.
Thanks Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:40 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,752 Posts
Quote:
How do you have your battery that far back? I have to shove mine as far forward as I can get it or it's tail heavy. Almost needs a weight up front but I don't want to add weights to such a light, low powered airplane.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72