HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 725 86.00%
were just asking for too much 118 14.00%
Voters: 843. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Aug 2012
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
Not bad other then the trimming. But once I sorted that out. Everything was go to go. Set DR 80% / Expo 20 and flys great. Yes, my first 4 channel.
I think it's gonna be mine also. Thx.
Iplumb is online now Find More Posts by Iplumb
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:06 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,301 Posts
Whyyyyy

Now this was utterly ridicolous... today i flew it a bit until it got a bit nasty-windy so i landed... i was dissasembling the landing gear and holding it with one hand as i dissasembled it with the other, i had to grab it by the wing to not yank the gear out of the fragile wing .. and then as i was holding it by the wind.. one gust of wind and... bent wind

so... how can i fix this.. or should i think in buying a new wing?

it bent upwards.. in the lower intrados of the wing the crack is "open" if you pull the wing.. i think i could pour a bit of foam safe CA in there... what do you think?
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
so... how can i fix this.. or should i think in buying a new wing?

it bent upwards.. in the lower intrados of the wing the crack is "open" if you pull the wing.. i think i could pour a bit of foam safe CA in there... what do you think?
I had a lot of cracks which made the wing even more flexible than when it was new. I used a CF strip glued into place with epoxy: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post22533343

The wing had to be removed for this work, and a new wing would have been easier, but the CF strip really stiffens the wing. No longer do the ailerons flex the rest of the wing.

I used polyurethane glue (brown Gorilla glue) for the cracks.
Matt Ls Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Matt Ls Thumbs
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:30 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The easily creased wings is why I put CF on mine.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:22 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,301 Posts
well.. i poured CA in the crack part wich was open (underside) and put streetech tape over both sides... seems ok now...

flight tests will say... but its deeply ironic that this wing can take touch and gos and landings and cant take its own weight when moved by a not so strong wind (10/15km/h?) when being hold by hand
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JLT_GTI; Dec 17, 2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:58 PM
United States, WI, Muskego
Joined Sep 2012
834 Posts
I'm re-building my UM T-28 thanks to a rather nasty crash. What glue/adhesive is recommended to hold the electronics down like they were from the factory? It seems like a thin caulking, as it's very rubbery.
Joker 53150 is offline Find More Posts by Joker 53150
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
Silicone glue. I use a product made by GE, that claims to release methanol. I try to avoid products that release acetic acid while curing (as do most silicone caulks).
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:27 AM
Crash Expert
United States, MN, Circle Pines
Joined Oct 2012
121 Posts
Joker, I found a low-temp glue gun to work wonders. Don't even need that much to keep things in place.
Motorbikebruno is offline Find More Posts by Motorbikebruno
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
I found that the low-temperature hot glue just barely holds. It is extremely easy to break free, and I would not recommend this.

But I do use hot glue in the process. I use two tiny dabs to keep the part in place while the silicone glue cures. It makes things much easier.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:07 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbikebruno View Post
Joker, I found a low-temp glue gun to work wonders. Don't even need that much to keep things in place.
Oh yes.. i used it too to glue one of the landing gear bases (before i bought foam safe CA) and it works quite well .. actually i use a dual temp glue gun.. low setting works more than well in foam and wont burn it ... the "but" is that you have less time before the glue cools down and sets.. so use it in small places or very fast if over a large area.

Still i dont use it on the T-28 unless absolutelly necesary.. hot glue is one of the heaviest glues out there (along with epoxy) so making many repairs will increase the weight.. and these planes like it light.... yes they will fly even with 75% more weight ... but not as well
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:48 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
I use white gorilla glue for everything! Not extremely flexible, but i like how its thick, expands twice its size and dries white. You can also influence drying time by how much water you coat the surfaces with and spray on it.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:00 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,301 Posts
I have ear a lot about Gorilla glue, but unfortunatelly its not avalaible in europe and dont know what the equivalent would be
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:14 PM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
Gorilla glue is a brand of polyurethane glue. There are other brands, but I do not know what might be sold in Europe.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:16 PM
The Luftwaffle
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,142 Posts
Personaly, I have fount that 5min epoxy makes for a lot cleaner joint that is still pretty strong and dosen't create a hard point, and dosen't expand like gorrila glue.
Waffleman is online now Find More Posts by Waffleman
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:37 PM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,171 Posts
When I creased my wing badly, I used a length of 1mm CF rod underneath. After bending the wing straight, I just poked it right through the fuselage and laid a length of epoxy underneath and held it in place with paperclips. Once dry, I covered it with a length of clear tape. Now I can pull back as hard as I want on max elevator travel and it simply does a tight loop. I am convinced the wing would fold without the rod. My only disappointment is that the CF did not remove any dihedral - I should have thought about it and bent the wings down a bit before I glued it ....

I have used this T-28 to mess about with whilst learning up the club on bigger aircraft. You can imagine what a mess it looks now but it all functions well and some new Miniaviation 190's have given it a new lease of life. I set 7 mins on the timer but it will go about 8:30 before using up 80%.
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround